Sign in to follow this  
Nickel and Dime

1895 Florin AU50

Nickel and Dime    10
Nickel and Dime

I would like to know the "real' value of an AU 1895 Florin, raw vs graded NGC AU50.

1895a-2.jpg

jwither    10
jwither

If your intent is to get opinions on a specific coin based upon the image, how do you expect someone to give you one without the obverse?

If this is your intent, the fact is that no one can give you an accurate one without actually inspecting the coin in person. I or someone else can give you an opinion whether it is an AU-50 in terms of wear, but no one can correctly evaluate the surface appearance with any confidence to provide an opinion of value.

If you are planning to sell one of these ungraded and intend to offer it on a venue like BoB or eBay, you are going to get much less than one in an NGC or PCGS holder. And the reason for this is because the buyer is taking the risk that it will not grade or that a subsequent buyer will only buy it at an even greater discount.

Here is what I can tell you how I view such coins. Any time I see any coin that is like this one listed on eBay or BoB, I automatically assume that NGC or PCGS will reject it. The reason for this is that there is no benefit to me to assume otherwise. NGC "Details" and PCGS "Genuine" coins sell for as little as 10% of a graded specimen (maybe less if it is a particularly bad one), so why would anyone assume otherwise? I have bought this type of coin ungraded before, but only at substantial discounts to their supposed value.

Edited by jwither

Pierre_Henri    10
Pierre_Henri
If your intent is to get opinions on a specific coin based upon the image, how do you expect someone to give you one without the obverse?

If this is your intent, the fact is that no one can give you an accurate one without actually inspecting the coin in person. I or someone else can give you an opinion whether it is an AU-50 in terms of wear, but no one can correctly evaluate the surface appearance with any confidence to provide an opinion of value.

If you are planning to sell one of these ungraded and intend to offer it on a venue like BoB or eBay, you are going to get much less than one in an NGC or PCGS holder. And the reason for this is because the buyer is taking the risk that it will not grade or that a subsequent buyer will only buy it at an even greater discount.

Here is what I can tell you how I view such coins. Any time I see any coin that is like this one listed on eBay or BoB, I automatically assume that NGC or PCGS will reject it. The reason for this is that there is no benefit to me to assume otherwise. NGC "Details" and PCGS "Genuine" coins sell for as little as 10% of a graded specimen (maybe less if it is a particularly bad one), so why would anyone assume otherwise? I have bought this type of coin ungraded before, but only at substantial discounts to their supposed value.

Halleluja brother

Nickel and Dime    10
Nickel and Dime

How much is a graded 1895 AU50 Florin worth? (I have a Hern's catalogue)

jwither    10
jwither

There is no recent sale of an AU-50 that I can find. The two most recent sales I see were an NGC AU-55 and a NGC "XF Details", BOTH ON Heritage and both in 2011. The first coin sold for $6300 and the second for $690. And in my opinion, the second coin was actually an AU that was "net" graded which I consider common on NGC's part with "problem" coins. There appears nothing really wrong with the second coin other than NGC would not assign it a numerical grade.

Today as a guess, I would estimate somewhere in the $2000-$3000 range for an AU-50, at most. Heritage lists a lot more 1895 2/6 with the last one in AU-58 selling for $1955. Another conporabler coin is the 1893 2/ which sold for $2000 in PCGS XF-45 last year but only $1265 in NGC XF-45 earlier this year. This coin is somewhat scarcer and deserves to sell for more but only slightly so.

Edited by jwither

jwither    10
jwither

Apparently, the estimate in my prior post was too high, way too high. A PCGS AU-50 just sold on eBay for $1259.