Sign in to follow this  
qball

Private Car Sellers - be cautious

qball    10
qball

Please see this article regarding Gumtree and car hijacking (this would apply to all private car sellers) - Man hijacked by potential car buyers | News24

The AA recommends the following safety guidelines:

• If a potential buyer calls with a private or withheld number, insist that they give you their cellphone number and verify it. If they have a land line number, ask them for it.
  • If the potential buyer asks for a test drive, make sure it’s not you alone with two or three other people in case they have sinister intentions. Overpowering one person is a lot easier than two or three. If you can, get someone to go along with you to the test drive.
  • Never let anyone test drive your vehicle without seeing their driver’s license. If you can, make a copy of it. This is to ensure you know the person’s identity should they try to defraud you or steal your car.
  • After the test drive, ensure you have the correct keys and they have not been swapped.

Source - http://www.aa.co.za

mellowred    10
mellowred

Pretty sad that we have to think like criminals just to keep ourselves safe.

Thanks for the warning QBall.

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

Hi all, this is also one of the MO that "supposed buyers" use to rob you. This was the reply I had received from an interested party.

Hello,

Great reading from you. I believe you must have buyer's interested in the purchase and I thought the best way to outbid them is by offering additional sum of ( R2500 )to the asking price . I am an oceanographer and am presently working in United states but I'm buying this as a surprise Gift for my Dad.

To start with, I can only make the payment via Paypal because it's very safe and secure for both of us. In case you don't have a Paypal account I'll advice you to register for one at www.paypal.co.za . (I will cover the paypal charges) I won't be available to come for inspection due to my present location. I have a private pick-up agent that will contact you in-order to handle the pick-up at your place once the payment is completed.

I'll like you to tell me more about the present mechanical condition of the Bike, how often do you service it, the history, have you ever experience any mechanical problem with it before?

I'll be the one to handle the payment via paypal because the pick up agent doesn't deal with cash payment on behalf of their customers. Your quick response is greatly appreciated so that we can proceed with this transaction a.s.a.p. I will keep checking my email every 15 minutes for your message.

Kind Regards,

Kelvin

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Oh dear! Not all South Africans are that naive - or are they?

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

So this guy is more than willing to buy a bike voetstoots?

Good going MAJ, I have only met you once and I know that you have a good reputation.

BUT, to make the Americans bid an EXTRA R2 500-00 for something unseen is just wonderful. I mean, you have crossed the Atlantic!

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

And you have the well spoken Afrikaans speaking "Namibian" wanting to buy car/bike/trailer and he offers to meet you in Klerksdorp and you meet and he gets you involved in an illegal "diamond" trade transaction and before you know it he has your money and car/bike/trailer.

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

Even worse is they can't remember who they have made contact with. The scammer in post #3 has contacted me twice in the last 2 days.......same number, same person, same email.

The scammer in post #6 has contacted me 3 times since Saturday, his number changed and now he is in Rustenburg. At least he puts effort into his MO by changing location and his cell number.

Scammer #3 sends a sms requesting you to call him....(no money for a call but wants to buy a bike....)

Scammer #6 talks to you for a few minutes and then ask to be called back.

The worst part is I know within the first 20 seconds of the call that it is a scammer.

And yes, the general public is naive, go look at Gumtree's public forum and see the last post on an eleven page thread was scammed for R3700 by someone sending a fake bank proof of payment confirmation.

It happens daily.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

So I am not alone on this planet with my naivety. Thanks heavens I have MrAerospace to look after me!

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Love your gnome Qball!

Please all, make sure that you heed this warning about selling cars online. This incident has just happened. Awful!

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack

"People should be aware whom they are dealing with. They have to meet them in public spaces such as police stations, where they can verify them," said Van Wyk.

This above statement made by the Police spokesman might make you feel better but the truth be told they don't even have a problem meeting at the police station, my profession means that I meet with strangers every time and I apply the following " when in doubt, leave out " .

kyle2    10
kyle2
Love your gnome Qball!

Please all, make sure that you heed this warning about selling cars online. This incident has just happened. Awful!

Don't use Gumtree myself any more, that and junkmail are teeming with scammers. Every valuable I have on junkmail gets me a weeks worth of scam emails and phone calls.........:notrust:

Mad about Jack    10
Mad about Jack
Don't use Gumtree myself any more, that and junkmail are teeming with scammers. Every valuable I have on junkmail gets me a weeks worth of scam emails and phone calls.........:notrust:

I have stopped using JunkMail but Gumtree is getting just as bad.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
I have stopped using JunkMail but Gumtree is getting just as bad.

Thank heavens we have BoB!!!

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

The car has been found so the murderers gain nothing. It just ends as a senseless killing of a 21 year old who was an only child.

Sad country we live in.

Edited by geewhizz

wayjen    10
wayjen

how do you verify a number be it cellphone or landline?

kyle2    10
kyle2
how do you verify a number be it cellphone or landline?

Supposedly the number has been registered, one then phones the owner to confirm they are the car seller, if something goes amiss, one should be able to get their info from the cell company via the saps. (this is of course in an ideal world)

miraclebabycaw    10
miraclebabycaw

Not only cars, they tried it with us last week over a dining room suite..Not as clever as they think though LOL. Tried to send a courier to collect after we said no we didn't deliver, on just POP. Strange how when we said only on money clearing, we never heard from them again...and the cellphone number is now off all the time...