Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

R25 Million. Highest PRICED philatelic item ever stolen in the RSA?

dstorm

Hello all

I sat under “my tree” this afternoon having coffee (yes, really) with a close friend / client / fellow dealer.

The talk went to “items being lost” at stamp fairs – or to put it bluntly, items being stolen. The question was then asked: what was the most valuable item ever stolen in the RSA stamp market?

Of course, we had no idea. However, I believe that the honour goes to me for having the “highest PRICED” item ever stolen from a stamp dealer. A cool 25 Million Rand!

On my friend’s request (and with admin’s) permission, I will hereby repost a previous post.

If any stamp dealer have had a higher priced item stolen, please let us know!

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Hello all

A couple of years ago Stanley Gibbons sold the “Bordeaux Cover” on auction for £2 500 000-00 - up to then the highest price ever achieved for a philatelic item. At the time the Rand value was 30 Million Rand.

Some time later, I came across a magnificent and superb facsimile of this cover. Apparently Gibbons produced it and distributed it with a specific issue of the Gibbons Stamp Monthly, which also carried an article on this item.

Now some of my old friends like the Seahorsefanatic might recall that this facsimile was brilliant. Only under close scrutiny did it become apparent that the item was not genuine. Even the two stamps on the cover were individually produced on paper close to the original issue. And on the back flap of the cover, printed in very small italics, was the word FACSIMILE.

I paid a small amount for this cover and had endless fun with it, showing it off and offering it to unsuspecting buyers.

When the novelty eventually wore off, I decided to sell it. Being in a very generous mood and not demanding an unreasonable profit, I put it on a stockcard and priced it at the bargain price of R25 000 000-00, a clear 5 million below the retail price. I then placed in one of my scratch boxes containing items priced at R150-00 downwards.

Two weeks later the item was gone! Stolen! Or as Seahorsefanatic put it “removed” from my stock.

Not being a vindictive person, I nevertheless hope that the thief flew to London in business class, booked into a top hotel for a night or two and then made a fool of himself trying to sell this cover to some snobbish dealer.

Or perhaps some poor child (or impatient wife) is waiting for a handsome inheritance.

At least I can say that the loss of an item priced at R25 000 000-00 did not make a dent in my stock.

Regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm

kyle2

A case of the thief getting his/her just desserts? I love poetic justice.:bigsmile:

mellowred

Wonderful Jacques. Imagine the thief's excitment at his "find" ... LOL.

ATOMICSQUIRREL

I am a bit slow this morning...no coffee.:ninja:

So the thief stole a fake item you marked for sale at R25 000 000,00...?

Seeds for Africa

I love this. You put a big smile on my face this morning! I would have loved to see the thiefs face when he discovered his loot wasnt the real mcoy!

ATA STAMP CENTRE
I love this. You put a big smile on my face this morning! I would have loved to see the thiefs face when he discovered his loot wasnt the real mcoy!

He might not know yet and still thinks it is worth millions-maybe he is like those art lovers who have stolen artwork in their cellar and admires it in secret.

Maybe it will appear on BOB one day??

Neil

dstorm

Hello all

I am a very forgiving person and I am not upset with the thief for stealing the item. I am upset with the way he (perhaps she) insulted me.

If the item was indeed worth R25 million, why was it my (low security) scratch box?

If the item was indeed worth R25 million, why was I working at all?

Anyway, the incident gave me lots of pleasure…not many people can say that they had such a highly priced stolen from them. I have had many whiskys over this tale.

Thanks a lot.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

ATOMICSQUIRREL

Talking about stamps...I inherited a box full of stamps and some albums full of stamps. I would like to sell them but I know Jack about stamps. Anybody interested, I can take some photos and mail it to you.....anybody?

dstorm
Maybe it will appear on BOB one day??

Neil

You have said it!

JohnBenn

Haha

Good cover in the post above Neil:whistling:

ATA STAMP CENTRE
Hello all

Look at this. The Bordeaux cover is back in circulation!

First Day Covers & Sheets - MAURITIUS-RAREST COVER IN THE WORLD-C/V A FEW MILLION RAND PLUS!!BUT......... for sale in Cape Town (ID:67381020)

Neil aka atacentre is under immediate suspicion.

Very seriously, nice to see "my" prized possession again.

All of the best and regards

Jacques

I actually clean forgot about this post!!Got this 'authentic facsimile " in a collection yesterday from someone who inherited a collection.

I presume their are a number of them around-if you really want it back Jacques make an offer in the low millions??:confused::whistling:

I must change the c/v now as i just guessed a few million but see it is now a whopping R33 750 000 RAND at current exchange rates!!

neil

dstorm
make an offer in the low millions??:confused::whistling:

Hello Neil

I am a bit broke at the moment.

Sure, there must be “a number of them around”, but I am also sure that this item is not common at all. It must be about eight years since mine “disappeared” and I have not seen one since. So this is obviously in fact now a scarce item.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

ATA STAMP CENTRE
Hello Neil

I am a bit broke at the moment.

Sure, there must be “a number of them around”, but I am also sure that this item is not common at all. It must be about eight years since mine “disappeared” and I have not seen one since. So this is obviously in fact now a scarce item.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

You can pay me in facsimile R200 notes if that helps

On the item i have never had one until now so i presume they are scarce-dont know how many were issued-

neil

dstorm
You can pay me in facsimile R200 notes

Hello Neil

Somewhere (really!) I have a banded bundle of 100 x 100 Trillion Dollar notes. Please be reminded that 14 Trillion Dollars will clean out the entire debt of our beloved USA.

I am just waiting for the Zimbabwe currency to recover and then I will buy the real Bordeaux cover with just one of my notes.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

PS: I am a very patient person……