Sign in to follow this  
tavrion

A win for the frauds

tavrion

About two weeks ago I purchased an item on BoB. It was crazy Wednesday - the best time of the week to look for bargains as we all know. What immediately struck me as weird, is that whenever I bid on this item, I was immediately outbid and the amount that was the current bid seemed a bit suspicious. Further investigation revealed that the other bidder was in fact from the exact same location as the seller. OK - interesting. So I reported the seller and said there is a possibility of foul play involved. A few hours later, I received an e-mail from BoB informing me that the other bidder has been removed. Clearly my gut feeling was right. (Ticket ID: HHO-965-18557).

I win the bid. Let me just ad that we are not talking about a significant amount of money. Please see the page for more details. Role-Playing - CASTLEVANIA PS3 GAME !!!!!!!!!!!!!! GREAT OFFER! (NEW) was sold for R151.00 on 29 Feb at 23:46 by eXtreme Gaming in Odendaalsrus (ID:59150324)

From the page it is clear that the item is sold as new and, even though the seller was trying to pull a fast one, I was already committed to the purchase when I placed a bid. The R45 postage is excessive but I kept that in mind of course when placing a bid. R151+45 = R196 is a fairly good deal for a new, sealed game. Right.

The next morning I receive an e-mail from the seller, stating that I should transfer funds immediately to secure shipping for the Friday. Also of note, that I should ad R16.50 for bank charges. When I questioned the R16.50 for EFT, he said it is for bank charges (there aren't any for EFT) and that it is needed to complete the purchase. Fine,I think to myself, I will reflect this in your rating once the item has been received. R16.50 is not going to kill me.

When the item finally arrived, it was clear from the package size that something was wrong. When I opened it, I found a promotional copy of the game inside. It was in a "sealed bag" but the type with the adhesive, so anyone could have opened it. And it was opened. The box was filled with finger marks and scratches. The disk said PROMOTIONAL COPY NOT FOR RESALE. I've been had. Out of anger I rated negatively, where the seller responded that he is sorry, but he was robbed the night before, so he though it best to send me that copy. What?!

So, I called customer support and lodged a complaint. After no response from bid or buy - I had to chase this on many many occasions to find out what is going on - I finally got a response that I should return the item, insured and tracked. Once that has been done, the seller will reimburse me. To me, this means - yes we know that the seller is a fraud, but you should make the effort now to buy an envelope, go the post office, pay ... go through this additional effort and then everything will be fine. (Ticket ID: ROT-779-47440)

First - why should I have to do any of this? Why do I have to go through the effort to organise this at my expense? And second - what guarantee do I have that the seller will reimburse me?!? Clearly he was dishonest about the bid of the item and clearly he was lying about being robbed, and finally he sold me something different to what I paid for!

I am frankly disgusted by the way this has been handled by BoB. The message I received from all of this is that I can sell rubbish items on BoB without consequence. And better yet, the odds are in their favour because few people will actually do or say something - after all, I did get a working game, just not quite the way I expected.

If this is the protection that BoB offers its customers, I think we'd all be better of, and safer, not using this service. In fact, to all my friends and colleagues, I will warn them to stay clear of BoB.

Edited by tavrion

mrmouse

wowieee

qball

Dear tavrion

Thank you for your feedback on this issue. I would like to start off by apologising for this situation and for any unpleasant experience you have had on our site.

To address your feedback and concerns:

Regarding the shill bidding, thank you for bringing this to our attention at the time, we did investigate this and did find that the seller was using a shill account on the auction, that bidding account was deleted and the seller issued with a first and final warning in this regard. Should the seller continue with this behaviour we reserve the right to stop them from selling on the site permanently.

Regarding the issue of the wrong item received from the seller. Past experience has shown that if we immediately blacklist or close the seller's account, the chances of getting the refund sorted out are minimal, we therefore contact the seller first to try resolve the issue first - facilitating the refund before taking any further action against the seller. This does not mean we condone or accept the seller's behaviour or conduct (and we certainly do not tolerate fraudulent activity in any way), this will be addressed with them after the refund has been successful. Our priority at the moment is to facilitate a successful refund, and then address the issue with the seller.

Unfortunately if consumers keep quiet about these issues, sometimes there is very little we can do, as we are not physically involved in the transaction, delivery, payment etc. and if people remain silent, we cannot act if we are not aware of the situation. Therefore it is important to let us know about any issues that you may have, including receiving the incorrect item purchased or possible fraudulent activity. Please bear in mind, that you should contact the seller first to try resolve the problem as they are responsible for the transaction. If they fail to remedy the situation, by all means contact us for assistance and we will try to assist you as far as possible.

The seller should have immediately informed you of the situation and offered an immediate refund if they could supply the correct item. You also should not have included the R16.50 if you paid via EFT (internet transfer). In these instances you do need to send the item back if you are not happy with it, again it does not mean that we agree with or accept the seller's conduct. If the seller fails to refund you after receiving the product there are further steps we can take against the seller, but unfortunately we cannot act on your behalf in a legal capacity as we are not the seller nor buyer. So ultimately you would be responsible for enforcing your own legal rights in the transaction. There is always a consequence for any seller who does not supply what was paid for, but as already stated the priority right now is to facilitate a successful refund so that you get your money back before we do anything else.

Thank you for your understanding and patience in this regard.

Cuan

Edited by qball

mrmouse

ask for the SAP case number for the robbery , if its genuine, Phew difficult one .then he is trying his best .

qball

To add to this, the seller has agreed to refund in full when they receive the item back.

ATOMICSQUIRREL

...plus its an AWESOME GAME!! finished it twice!:nuts:

tavrion

Thank you for the response Cuan. If someone had actually taken the time to respond to my issue sooner, and in such depth, I would have been much more relaxed than I am now. I will send the item back - not much else that I can do really, is there? The money is of no concern really, it is the principle but I am sure you already know that. I just do not want to see him on BoB again - ever.

qball

Thank you for your understanding and patience again. Agreed, the principle is important, but let's concentrate on getting your money back first :smile:.

mellowred

My goodness Tavrion. So many fraudulent acts in one little sale. I see they have also abused the "discrete" option in the past; can't see why anyone would need to buy or sell a X-Box game anonymously.

The "I've been robbed" story is just ridiculous. Did they really assume you would accept the very inferior and "not to be sold" game?

Well BoB has been busy. A few of his buyers have been blacklisted :smile:.

Good luck with the refund.

Digitrade

Every seller that opens a shill account and makes himself guilty of this offence, has done so willingly and knowingly that it is wrong.

I say: "HAVE NO MERCY ON THEM AND BAN THEM WITHOUT WARNING!"

I am writing in caps on purpose...

mrmouse

im designing a keyboard that only types in very little letters , :smile:

DZGKnersus

Hi guys. I am brand new to BoB. I can't post new topics (don't know why) and searched for something I now understand is called shill bidding. I was concerned about this because I am currently bidding in a auction on a rather expensive item - R5000+ . I wanted to ask: what is preventing a seller from secretly bidding against me, either by himself or through a dummy account? Thanks all.

admin

Hi DZGKnersus,

Welcome to the forum.

Shill bidding is monitored by the Security team. Should you suspect shill bidding, you can just click on the "Report a problem" link in the item description and it will be looked into.

The camera auction you are referring to has no evidence of shill bidding taking place and I am sure that seller will not be involved in shill bidding.

I checked your forum permissions and see no reason why you will not be able to create new topics.

DZGKnersus

Thanks Admin (do we really call you that)? ;-)

I'm sorted - got it.

Edited by DZGKnersus

admin

Just before I sent you a pm :cool:

They call me Sir, The man, That guy, but I prefer Your Highness :nuts:

Glad you got sorted. :ninja:

Andries

p.s. And other names I will not mention here....

Not1CentMore
And other names I will not mention here....

No, but we will. Hmmm.... for 'starters', we call you:

01bd6e14.gif and 01e41615.gif and 01047716.gif and 0133da17.gif.

In a nutshell, Andries.... 01213318.gif!!

Ruthie

JANDS
Just before I sent you a pm

They call me Sir, The man, That guy, but I prefer Your Highness

Glad you got sorted.

Andries

:wtf:....There I thought "Hey tjom" would suffice..

lilythepink

Andries

Grand-Son?!!

DZGKnersus

Baie dankie u edeldierbaarste Andries :biggrin:

RAG Auctioneers

Andries

Do they call you "The Doctor" :-)

PS: You will only understand this if you have watched Doctor Who.

qball

Andries

Hey I thought that was me you were talking about??!!

JANDS
Baie dankie u edeldierbaarste Andries :biggrin:

Don't encourage the okes man.....jirre ....I hear you call all those Valie okes "China", they smaak that.

Not1CentMore

You are chips.jpg.34ad6c108e950f61f88a904729742241.jpg(a VERY good thing this side)!

Ruthie

admin

Nope, you are Your Excellence, Boss Sir, I am the one more in touch with my feminine side, hence the Your Highness :cool::ninja:

Mad about Jack

With all these new titles we would have to get Admin a new hat ........:whistling: