Sign in to follow this  
Pathway

Ivory or bone?

Pathway

Hi, I need some help please. How can I tell the difference between ivory, and white polished bone?

admin

Hi Pathway,

Ivory has a very fine grain, almost like a woodgrain and has more of a polished look than bone.

Found this on the www

A quick and easy method to distinguish between real and fake ivory is by use of a UV light.

Real ivory (regardless of animal species) fluoresces under UV light, manufactured plastic imitation ivory does not. The following is taken from the CITES web-site, which has an exceedingly detailed (and highly technical) article on the topic of ivory identification and authentication.

‘Regardless of the appearance or chemical composition of the manufactured ivory substitutes, they all share a common identifying characteristic. When ultraviolet light is shined on manufactured ivory products they absorb the ultraviolet light exhibiting a dull blue appearance. Ivory, on the other hand, has a white/blue fluorescent appearance.’

Edited by admin

wayjen

Someone told me about the grain or lines in one of then but hell I can't remember which one has which.

Little Miss Muffet

Ivory has a grain that runs in lines that are curvy. Bone does not have a grain and often has knots.

Ivory is often imitated but the lines in imitation ivory are always straight lines.

This link has good images of the differance between bone and ivory.

www.antiquegamblingchips.com/distinguish_iv_bon_cel.htm

I must stress that ivory can have a straight lined grain but will always curve somewhere in those lines.

Edited by geewhizz