Followers 0
Jongleur

Bidding Rules

22 posts in this topic

If a seller agrees to close an auction at a specific amount and

this amount is then exceeded by another bidder is the seller

obliged to close the auction?

The auction opened today and is advertised as closing on 25

March. Do I continue bidding in case the seller cannot close?

Edited by Jongleur

I think a seller is morally bound to close the auction at the agreed closing price but legally I am not sure? It is not difficult to close an auction as agreed, at the price agreed!

Also legally.It's a small verbal contract,and in this case you have it in writing.

The seller should have closed the auction as soon as he/she agreed.

Hi Lily , John

The auction is still open and in fairness when I was on 2500 odd i saw

the question for the first time. I then stopped bidding but someone else

bid higher than the agreed closing price. The question had also been asked

much earlier.

In any event it must be very difficult to close an auction at the agreed price

with hectic bidding going on.

The same bidder has now put in a higher bid than last night. I feel for the bidders

plight but if the auction is still open then I want to bid. Wat Nou?

If you want the item badly enough and are prepared to pay more, then bid! And best of luck to you.

If you want the item badly enough and are prepared to pay more, then bid! And best of luck to you.

I feel uneasy if the auction becomes iffy. I still think all auctions should simply run their course until closing time.

Do you have a link?

Do you have a link?

Don`t know how to post it.

It is a 1959 crown.

OK

(Next to the smily is a world globe,you use that.....if in future you have to.)

The offer in question was a offer I made on a 1959 crown. When I made the offer there was now bids listed on the item. The seller accepted my offer and agreed to close after placing my bid. Other bids where placed between the acceptance of the offer and the time the seller wanted to close the auction. In my opinion if a seller agrees to close at a certain price that seller should honour his decision. The seller was under no presure to accept the offer.

Furthermore, I just want to thank bon len for the manner in which he handled the situation. You propably wanted the coin just as much as I did but honoured the deal between me and the seller and placed your needs behind that of mine. You are an example to all of us and I applaud you for that & want to thank you again.

The seller closed the auction at R50 more than I offered so no real loss. I hope you have a wonderfull evening and hope to return the favour in the future. Regards

Congrats BonLen, a true gentleman, and nice of you to publically mention this ChuckyD.

The offer in question was a offer I made on a 1959 crown. When I made the offer there was now bids listed on the item. The seller accepted my offer and agreed to close after placing my bid. Other bids where placed between the acceptance of the offer and the time the seller wanted to close the auction. In my opinion if a seller agrees to close at a certain price that seller should honour his decision. The seller was under no presure to accept the offer.

Furthermore, I just want to thank bon len for the manner in which he handled the situation. You propably wanted the coin just as much as I did but honoured the deal between me and the seller and placed your needs behind that of mine. You are an example to all of us and I applaud you for that & want to thank you again.

The seller closed the auction at R50 more than I offered so no real loss. I hope you have a wonderfull evening and hope to return the favour in the future. Regards

Hi ChuckyD

Thank you for the compliments. It was indeed a difficult situation for you and the seller. I am pleased

that the outcome was not exacerbated by any ill - feeling. I asked the question on the forum without

drawing attention to the actual auction. The response expelled any doubts I had.

An elusive coin but I know there will be others.

All the best to you as well.

Regards

Len

Edited by Jongleur
spelling

Congrats BonLen, a true gentleman, and nice of you to publically mention this ChuckyD.

Thank you Mellow. Very gracious of you.

OK

(Next to the smily is a world globe,you use that.....if in future you have to.)

What do you do then - i.e. what do you type in the 'URL" space ?

Do you use firefox?You can always just open a new window(so you have one here and one to go to the auction).Or just go to the auction,copy the code,and then came back to the forum.Easiest way will be the first.

Now that made your day hey Bon Len :smile:.

Now that made your day hey Bon Len :smile:.

Hi Mellow

And how. Especially since I did`nt have to ask my kids. I invariably get told how dof I am with computers.

Also my fault for not putting in some brainpower. Ms Plod also tried to show me but I found out today from

John how it works in Firefox because in Outlook I kept on making a hash of it and getting lost all over the place.

As for the kids - report cards tomorrow. We are fortunate that they both do very well but I have great fun asking

a whole lot of questions about an A- and heaven forbid if a B should make an appearance. Then we see who is dof!

I've been using computers for 30 years Bon Len ... I am that old and the first PCs came out when I was in my late teens. So I should know my way around a computer pretty well, having evolved with them. I remember the first day I was given a PC with a mouse; it took me a frustrating couple of days to realise I HAD to use it .... LOL.

So I find it emabarrasing when 9 year olds can teach me a thing or two ... don't feel alone.

I've been using computers for 30 years Bon Len ... I am that old and the first PCs came out when I was in my late teens. So I should know my way around a computer pretty well, having evolved with them. I remember the first day I was given a PC with a mouse; it took me a frustrating couple of days to realise I HAD to use it .... LOL.

So I find it emabarrasing when 9 year olds can teach me a thing or two ... don't feel alone.

My daughter once had the temerity to ask me why I did`nt listen in computer classes at school.

I think they call it the 12 going on 30 syndrome.