Sign in to follow this  
Seeds for Africa

Items sold not as described

Seeds for Africa

I recently bought a cover for a tablet. The cover was described as leather. There are multiple sellers selling these covers - all described as leather yet they are in fact mock leather. Surely this is incorrect advertising. Where I come from, leather is leather and synthetic leather is NOT.

What are others thoughts?

lilythepink

If something is not what it purports to be then the seller is listing fraudulently! That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. Perhaps CW need to know about this?

svw

I have found that a lot of the so called " leather " is actually a bonded leather which is all the leather shavings mixed together and then bonded with a polyurethane - definiately does not have the same strength as genuine leather. The seller should then be advertising their product as [ material - PU "leather touch" ]

alloway65

Just like the Aluma (Aluminium) wallets sold on BoB that are actually plastic!!! The last time I looked they were still on sale on BoB and BoB Management is well aware of the situation!!!:disgusted:

mrmouse

Item may be Naugahyde which is classified as synthetic leather , and comes from the Nauga ( some say the Nauga is a myth animal but its not,, the machine that makes the product is called a Nauga ) was popular in the 70`s and 80 as a leather replacement and is still used mainly in automobiles today and for motorcycle seats , so if it is Nauga he is actually correct with his listing .

mrmouse

I just googled it and it should then be listed as PLEATHER , set it alight, if it melts its not LEATHER , :sick:

Not1CentMore

More than a few sellers (this side), whether at arts and craft shows, fairs, festivals or.... "split hairs".

IMHO, if it 'ain't', it 'ain't'. Leather is either genuine or it is not (this includes synthetic, mock, blend, PU, replacement, alternative, etc.). Same can be said for any 'material'...it is or it isn't the 'Real McCoy' and should be advertised / sold as such. "Burns my buns" this side when I see something at a show that is advertised as the 'real deal' when it isn't 'real'....and quite often, it isn't even a 'deal'.

A lie is a lie is a lie whether it be 'black' or 'white' or a 'shade of gray'.

Ruthie

mrmouse

agreed , what irks me the most is the lovely picture depicting the product , and seller refusing to post a real picture of the product ,

Seeds for Africa

Thanks for all the comments. I am taking it up with the seller and will see what his comments are. I would like bob's comment please as multiple sellers (more than 10) are selling the same and similar products as leather.

qball

All sellers must ensure their goods are accurately described. Unfortunately we cannot and do not verify the descriptions of all proudcts listed on the site - this is virtually impossible to ascertain. If the item turns out to be different from the description please contact communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za with supporting documentation and proof.

Seeds for Africa

What would constitute proof. Having traded in raw, wet salted, wet blue bovine hides and finished leather for a number of years, I do know leather!

The seller has offerred a full refund or discounted price for the "misunderstanding" however thats great my issue is resolved but 10 plus sellers continue to offer the identical product for sale as leather. When i notify cw do i alert them to all these sellers?

qball

Whilst many people are experts in all things, we always require something to back up the claims in writing before accusing or confronting a seller as allegations are serious and have legal consequences. Please forward all the correspondence to CW that you had with the seller and we will address the issue with the seller. You can't go around accusing ALL sellers of this, so you do need to exercise some discretion when reporting these issues, as some may be selling genuine leather articles. You are welcome to report one listing from each of the sellers and we will request them to provide proof - this can be sent directly to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za for further investigation. Thank you.