Sign in to follow this  
brands online

Another claim by buyer that account "compromised"?

brands online    10
brands online

Hi there,

Received an email from a buyer, below,

Goodday

I want to know it u can help me please.

Someone, somehow got my bidorbuy account info, logged in and made bids on some things.

I want to know if you can maybe be kind enough to cancel the Auction XXXXXXXXXX that I so called "won"...

It is a XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX.

Waiting for your response!

And I am also very very sorry!

Kind Regards

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

I'm sure I read somewheres NO-ONE can claim their account ever to have been hacked on BOB....

admin    0
admin

Hi brands online,

No hacked accounts, but login details are acquired with phishing emails. Please pm me the buyers user name to have a look see.

brands online    10
brands online

Hi,

Thanks. I've done that...

admin    0
admin

Nope, never happened...

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Admin, it's the 3rd person complaining about this. Then there must be a GROOT skroef los iewers!

kyle2    10
kyle2

WaaaHahahahahaha, it must be one of the oldest excuses on BoB.:notrust:

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Wahahahaha,:blink: It actually did happen Kyle. I know a person it happened to. She won't lie about it! Dit spook dalk!

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

Does anyone else have access to her computer and is her BoB password saved on it so that anyone who uses it would be logged in automatically? That would account for IP addresses matching at the bid times and, if they do, it would be pretty much the only feasable scenario.

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Nobody has access to her computer Lukeness. I will ask her to come to the forum and explain it herself.

Gremlins? I don't know!

brands online    10
brands online

The follow up mails make me lean this way too...:blink1:

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
The follow up mails make me lean this way too...:blink1:

Okay, that may be reffering to the buyer Brands online mentioned, but what about the other 2 the same happened to?:blink:

qball    11
qball

Generally accounts are compromised through phishing attempts, or people that the user knows, that has access to their account or their login details, friends, family, colleagues etc. It can also happen if you leave your PC unattended whilst logged in, and anyone in the vicinity (at work, internet cafe, at home etc.) can access the account without any problems whilst you are logged in. Often it's just an excuse that "someone" accessed their account without their knowledge, when in fact it was the actual user, just trying to wiggle out of the bid...

qball    11
qball

To add to this, a users PC security may be compromised when trojans, viruses and spyware/malware that infect the users computer, and often this compromises the users account details through data capturing or key stroke logging.

Virgotec    10
Virgotec

Sorry Qball, I don't agree.

The user Free Me has not used BOB since 2009, she doesn't even remember her password and yet on 9 January there were 5 bids won on her account.

2 of which BOB removed the negative ratings for non payment and 3 that were apparently paid for.

I would just like to know, who paid for these items.

I started a thread about this about a month ago and also asked that BOB send me the IP address from which these bids etc were made, but to date all I got is "Not possible to hack into BOB".

Since I do this users computer maintenance and I know these bids were not placed from her computer, I would really like BOB to provide the IP address from which these bids were placed. If you don't want to provide me with it than send it to this user and I will take it up from there.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Why would someone hack a BoB account if you gain nothing from it?

If you hack an account then get the money out of the account or change the delivery address at least then you can say the account was hacked for a reason but simply bidding on something is a waste of time. The only other reason is that the hacker has a personal vendetta against the account holder and knows them through BoB or they did it just because they can.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

more than likely just because they can , have you ever called your voicemail and gotten someone elses , I have on numerous occasions ,

MTN says it cant happen .

qball    11
qball

The account was not hacked - if a forcible attempt to access the account was discovered that would be a different story. It is possible that it was someone she knows who may have had access at some stage or remembered the login details whilst watching her - there could be a number of reasons. It was accessed in Oct 2011 and again in Jan 2012. Hacking an account to make payment for items doesn't make sense, if anything it would be to cause more harm than good... all her bids were deleted as she claimed it was not her - we also cannot tell who made the payment as we are not involved in the payment process. IPs will not verify anything, depending on who her service provider is it could be a dynamic IP range which 1000's of users share (she has a multitude of IPs dating back to 2009, all of which are different. The user should change her password as a first step.