Sign in to follow this  
VA26

R600 000 Stolen from South African Buyers on BOB by "1" seller in Feb 2012

wayjen
My case is still being reviewed by PAYPAL.

I also lodged a cash back claim with Standard bank.

They are owned by the Chinese goverment. I wonder if they can track this scamster?

Is Paypal and Standard Bank owned by the Chinese government?

Seeds for Africa
Is Paypal and Standard Bank owned by the Chinese government?

No, The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China owns a 20% share in Standard Bank. The Industrial and Commercial Bank of China is owned by the Chinese Government.

Paypal is owned by eBay.

wayjen

Are you serious, I never knew this, no wonder the Dalai Lama had a tough time getting in if China is running the show.

Who owns Ebay then?

Seeds for Africa
Are you serious, I never knew this, no wonder the Dalai Lama had a tough time getting in if China is running the show.

Who owns Ebay then?

Its a public listed company in the US.......... and not owned by the Chinese government!

wayjen
Its a public listed company in the US.......... and not owned by the Chinese government!

not yet at least.

svw
We have received a report from a buyer that had a successful paypal claim and was paid out. We have asked the buyer to send us more details so we can forward this to other buyers.

Well done bob - your feedback and support on bidorbuy is exceptional !

I have been involved in a similar situation since Dec 2011 with e-bay and pay-pal - end result I won't touch e-bay!!!!!! Their feedback and service has been very poor in fact non-existant would describe it better.

VA26

PAYPAL decided in my favor and the money will be transferred back into my account.

Might already be there.... They said within 7 Days.

This F.U might be a blessing in disguise.

I wanted another blackberry, BUT Nokia released their new 808 phone since, and I think that I like it more than the BB 9810.

The Nokia 808 has a 41 MEGA pixel camera, and all the other goodies.

Cant wait for it to be released in SA

Little Miss Muffet

The sad thing is that 30 of the buyers who have rated him negative have under 10 ratings so are new on Bob.

Not very encouraging to buy online again.

RISadler

To quote Calvera (from The Magnificent Seven): "If *** didn't want them sheared, He wouldn't have made them sheep."

The thing is that all these scams invariable involve the same products, or am I the only one to see the connection? Surely it would be possible for BoB to restrict foreign sellers from listing certain products, especially products that have a very high scam rate?

VA26
....The thing is that all these scams invariable involve the same products, or am I the only one to see the connection? ....

This seller had a good rating of around 98.6% if I remember correctly - selling phones and tablets.

Not like some fraudsters selling mickey mouse stuff and then switching to the High-end goods when they have a good rating to scam buyers. Have a look at his oldest ratings: http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/jsp/userprofile/UserProfile.jsp

Anyway. I got my money back. Good luck to the other buyers.

Most of the buyers behaved in a very stupid manner and gave the seller positive ratings on the very same day of the purchase. I see there is still people from the "scamming period" giving the seller positive ratings???

At that time I was the only one that gave him a neutral rating, saying that it will go to positive once the phone was delivered.

A possible solution to this type of behavior from BOB`s side would be to put a time limit in of say 14 days before a buyer can give a seller a positive rating. Especially for international sellers. There is no way that the order will be here under normal instances within 2 weeks.

How can you rate a seller without having the product in your hands?

Sending wonderful emails is one thing and sending cheap-stuff products is another ball game.

This seller (HKMarket) had LOTS of positive ratings without even supplying a single tracking nr. How stupid could I be?

, BUT people always say that hindsight is 20/20 and this high positive rating is probably what fooled me.