Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
VA26

R600 000 Stolen from South African Buyers on BOB by "1" seller in Feb 2012

34 posts in this topic

Good grief!

I like the way the one Buyer said the seller had a good rating but now the Seller is a scam artist, what ratings were they looking at then?

Well I may be wrong but if you are/were robbed by any seller on BoB, you yourself need to go to the police and lay a charge - I very much doubt that BoB can do this as they are merely a buying/selling platform.

What got me personally pulled into the scam was the sellers good rating at the time.

Something to the effect of 98% positive.

He sold a few items to build a record and then started selling high end cell phones and tablets.

The best of all is that there is still at least 28 people giving him positive ratings without having received their goods.

How can you rate a seller as positive without receiving your goods???

At the time I was the only buyer giving him an neutral rating - he would have received a positive when I got my BB 9810.

To date I have received 3 tracking nr`s for my phone. I dont know for who, or from who; only that they are not for me or even to somebody in the same province. I phoned customs/SAPO.

The bogus tracking nr`s are:

RC011863228HK

RB492845483HK

RB492845470HK (received from paypal after I lodged a complaint)

Man, those are some hefty figures. I also want a copy of that ebook.

I see that all payments had to be done through Paypal.

I have never done a payment this way, but is it not true that these guys guarantee your transaction and your money to be safe?

As soon as the first complaints started coming in (end of February), we stopped the seller from selling on the site, this included removing their listings and restricting their ability to sell, we also advised most buyers going back a week before the complaints came in to not complete the transaction due to service related issues - most negative ratings were given after we had stopped the seller from selling further. Prior to this the seller has fairly good ratings (in the 90s positive %), at that stage there was no indication that the seller was trying to scam anyone. Up until last week the seller was sending tracking numbers but these appear to be bogus. We would suggest contact paypal to open a complaint or to contact your bank to dispute the credit card payment. We are aware that some buyers did not pay and others could not pay, as according to one or two buyers the seller's paypal account was locked.

We do apologise for this, should you require any assistance or advice please contact our security team - communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za or call us on 0861 88 0861.

I have never done a payment this way, but is it not true that these guys guarantee your transaction and your money to be safe?

As long as the money is still in their Paypal account, then yes.. I lost over R10000 though Paypal where the seller (not BOB) had already withdrawn the money.. If I remember correctly, if you lodge a dispute against any seller, the account is frozen so they cannot withdraw the funds.. The problem is one may only realise after a week that you've been scammed, & then it's too late..

To answer your question, neither buyers or sellers are protected by paypal buyers / sellers protection on bidorbuy.

This is one more reason why International sellers and Dropping shipping should NOT be allowed.

This is one more reason why International sellers and Dropping shipping should NOT be allowed.

Maybe that should be rephrased as "buyers beware of scams" - there are a number of extremely efficient and ethical international traders and drop shippers on BoB.

Maybe that should be rephrased as "buyers beware of scams" - there are a number of extremely efficient and ethical international traders and drop shippers on BoB.

Buyers only realize it is a scam after they have been scammed. Although i import, i prefer to buy from local sellers with stock on hand.

What a trainsmash! I really feel for the scammed buyers, and hope that the Seller has interesting times with interpol.:notrust:

This is unfortunate, however, there is no way of predicting this type of scenario. There are 10's of thousands of sellers on bidorbuy, the majority are legitimate, reliable and honest. The problem with this seller is that they had a track record, positive ratings and were delivering phones prior to this, the reason for this situation is unclear. These are the difficult one's to stop as there is no clear indication that that is what was planned.

This does not apply to all drop shippers and international sellers and to lump them all into the same boat as this seller is rather unfair. We also cannot simply discriminate against sellers from other countries. We are an internet business accessible from any where in the world at any time, to start discriminating against legitimate traders just because they are located overseas is not a good principle to operate by, especially as many South Africans drop ship and have suppliers located overseas and they are honest and reliable businesses.

We have again sent out a mail to affected buyers to lodge a complaint with paypal - so at least they are aware of the seller and then to contact their bank's credit card fraud division to lay a charge back on the card.

Edited by qball

Buyers only realize it is a scam after they have been scammed. Although i import, i prefer to buy from local sellers with stock on hand.

I too prefer local traders who are not drop shippers, however scamsters lurk everywhere. I am very unlikely to pay for a high end item from anyone without a truly proven track record.

What a pity about these situations. :-(

A see a lot of my regular buyers in that negative ratings list. :cry:

What a pity about these situations. :-(

A see a lot of my regular buyers in that negative ratings list. :cry:

This doesn't just affect buyers but sellers as well because it deters them from all sellers regardless from where or the ratings they have.

There will always be scammers like these...you can minimize the risk but you will never completely stop it.

Bob can only protect you so far...remember that this is a Trading platform

There will always be a risks involved even on ebay and other trading platforms.

When it comes to electronics it is always better, but not always cheaper to buy and support local shops.

Other than that if you can't resist and have to buy, there are many LEGIT registered dealers not nec on BOB that you could buy from.

Back in the day (before the market was flooded) I imported 1000's of phones directly from registered dealers in Shenzhen with 100% track records and I have never lost 1 parcel or were scammed once.

I personally would never purchase/import Blackberry or Apple products from China. US or RSA only.

HongKong of all places....ppl were bound to get ripped off sooner or later.

Do proper research and ask the relevant questions...never assume, always scrutinize!

My deepest sympathy to those who lost their money....live and learn from it.

As for the thief...i hope he trips over his wallet and break his...:twisted:

This is unfortunate, however, there is no way of predicting this type of scenario. There are 10's of thousands of sellers on bidorbuy, the majority are legitimate, reliable and honest. The problem with this seller is that they had a track record, positive ratings and were delivering phones prior to this, the reason for this situation is unclear. These are the difficult one's to stop as there is no clear indication that that is what was planned.....

I agree. with this statement

.....This does not apply to all drop shippers and international sellers and to lump them all into the same boat as this seller is rather unfair. We also cannot simply discriminate against sellers from other countries. We are an internet business accessible from any where in the world at any time, to start discriminating against legitimate traders just because they are located overseas is not a good principle to operate by, especially as many South Africans drop ship and have suppliers located overseas and they are honest and reliable businesses....

I personally prefer not to buy from sellers who do not have local stock. If I order something I want to keep the middlemen to the absolute minimum. Ebay is also another option for stock that is not locally available. Ek sal eerder die pad stap, want dan gaan die geld ook deur minder mense se hande...

....We have again sent out a mail to affected buyers to lodge a complaint with paypal - so at least they are aware of the seller and then to contact their bank's credit card fraud division to lay a charge back on the card.

Thank you - I received two emails while I`m typing this post.

I have already alerted the matter to PAYPAL.

Would it be wise to lodge a charge back with my credit card as well?

Wouldn't Paypal just put my money back into my account?

I agree. with this statement

I personally prefer not to buy from sellers who do not have local stock. If I order something I want to keep the middlemen to the absolute minimum. Ebay is also another option for stock that is not locally available. Ek sal eerder die pad stap, want dan gaan die geld ook deur minder mense se hande...

Thank you - I received two emails while I`m typing this post.

I have already alerted the matter to PAYPAL.

Would it be wise to lodge a charge back with my credit card as well?

Wouldn't Paypal just put my money back into my account?

It seems paypal may not refund you, but it is important to alert them to what is happening. I think the best recourse is to approach your Credit Card fraud division and lodge a dispute (charge back request).

We do apologise for this unfortunate experience, I can understand that it is frustrating and disappointing.

I`ll keep you updated as to if / when I get my money back

We have received a report from a buyer that had a successful paypal claim and was paid out. We have asked the buyer to send us more details so we can forward this to other buyers.

My case is still being reviewed by PAYPAL.

I also lodged a cash back claim with Standard bank.

They are owned by the Chinese goverment. I wonder if they can track this scamster?