Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MsPlod

When is art - art?

8 posts in this topic

To answer MsPlod's question, "when is art, art" - I think anything which hasn't been painted by me would stand a chance at being called art! I cannot sing and I cannot paint.

The lady speaks the truth. Our one son, as a baby, would cry when his mother tried to sing to him! And we had a dog that would howl it's head off when she sang. (I just use a pillow to drown out the sound!)

Was astonished to see some Tretchikoffs:blink: and Kahlos:blink: up for sale in the upcoming Wednesday Crazy...

Had a look and these are framed coasters :shock:

Here is one example...

Other Artwork - Frida Kahlo Framed for sale in Kleinmond (ID:60266375)

Personally, I would prefer to see these in a category such as this but what do others think?

When it is the artists own work?

Art - Generally refers to original work and is an expression of an artist in different mediums such as drawing, painting, film, photography, sculpture and any other visual media.

I would say that a print of a famous artist on a coaster should surely fall into the crafts category ?

Art - Generally refers to original work and is an expression of an artist in different mediums such as drawing, painting, film, photography, sculpture and any other visual media.

I would say that a print of a famous artist on a coaster should surely fall into the crafts category ?

I totally agree with you SVW. I am a glass artist. I work with float glass and make all kinds of frames, panels, bowls, etc through the processes of fusing and slumping in a kiln. - (Art) I also recycle glass bottles, which I flatten in the kiln for many different crafting projects. The bottles are not art but rather belongs in the crafts category.

Art is like beauty.... it is in the eye of the beholder. (and some people need their eyes examined!)

Ruthie

Art is like beauty.... it is in the eye of the beholder. (and some people need their eyes examined!)

Ruthie

To describe many "artists", I can only steal a quote I think from Capp: "A product of the untalented, sold by the unscrupulous, to the utterly bewildered."

Art qualifies as art when someone is willing to steal it.