Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

Clever / not so clever forgery.

dstorm

1932 Bechuanaland Cover with 2 Blocks of 4 with INVERTED OVERPRINTS. In other words, a total of eight inverted overprints!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2742[/ATTACH]

Should be worth a fortune. But what a pity. This is obviously a forgery.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

ATOMICSQUIRREL

If it was real how much would it be worth...?

dstorm

Hello Vortechz

I really have no idea – my knowledge of Bechuanaland is very limited.

But I am sure it would have been enough to pay for my daughter’s university fees for the year.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

JohnBenn

Jacques are the cancellations over the overprint?Or do you suspect that the cancellations are also fake?

Jongleur
1932 Bechuanaland Cover with 2 Blocks of 4 with INVERTED OVERPRINTS. In other words, a total of eight inverted overprints!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2742[/ATTACH]

Should be worth a fortune. But what a pity. This is obviously a forgery.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Is stamp forgery as widespread as art forgery? Stamps are after all mini works of art.

dstorm

Hello all

The stamps are real. The cancellations are real.

The only reason why I know that the overprints are most probably forged is because the cover is addressed to the admirable Mr. Emil(le) Tamsen.

Tamsen produced many (now) suspect covers.

Should you browse the various stamp sites on the internet, you will find many covers addressed to Tamsen.

There is now growing suspicion that our highly in demand Bakker Express labels were also produdced by Tamsen (Tamsen obviously had an active imagination).

Stamp forgeries are not that widely encountered. The irony of the matter is that some forgeries (like Speratti forgeries) are very often more valuable / in demand than their real counterparts.

Years ago I had some Transkei Fishing Fly collectors sheet forgeries. The normal item was then selling at R2-00 each. I priced my forgeries at R35-00 each. The difficult part was that I had to prove to the buyers that the items were indeed forgeries!

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm
spelling (again)