[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Your Current Bid[/TD]

[TD] R21.00 [/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Your Automatic Bid Limit[/TD]

[TD] R150.00

Your bid will automatically be raised to the minimum amount needed to beat other bids or to meet the auction's reserve price, but only up to the limit you set here. [/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

Hi

I'm still new to bidding,and would like to know how to bid R150 instead of R21.It's a bit confusing.It says bid R21 or more,but when I bid R150.It tells me that my current bid is R21 and something about automatic bidding.

I just want to bid R150 and not have the automatic bid increase.

Please any help

Thanks.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

You should bid that amount directly on the item page.

Don't think you can change that now until you are outbid.

Doesnt really matter if R150 is the highest you will bid then its better this way, you might still win and pay less then your intial auto bid limit.

BestBuyOnline    10
BestBuyOnline

Hi

I am sure you would much rather only pay R21? As it now stands in your example, you will be paying only R21 for the item, up until somebody else bids a higher amount and up to R150.00. If somebody bids R151.00 you will be outbid and you then have the option to put in a higher bid.

This is just to ensure that you get your item at the best possible price, even though you are quite willing to pay more.

Hope this helps.

Ronel

wayjen    10
wayjen

Has it become like Ebay now where as soon as you bid you are automatically outbid by someone else? Yeah do what Vortechz says.

I don't bid on things but that screenshot tells me that you have set your automatic bid to R150 so try another amount and see what happens.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL
Has it become like Ebay now where as soon as you bid you are automatically outbid by someone else? Yeah do what Vortechz says.

I don't bid on things but that screenshot tells me that you have set your automatic bid to R150 so try another amount and see what happens.

Now that you mention it, do you know how many times i have had that happen to me....sorry you've been outbid x 200

nice way to push up those figures.

I was thinking about it...what is stopping 2 friends from registering, they put high autobids on each others items to get the best figures. If your friend so happens to accidently win the bid you 2 can always cancel the transaction and start over again....DODGY huh?

wayjen    10
wayjen

yeah true that.

A friend showed me one day how ebay worked with bids and jislaaik every time he did a bid (he knew there was no way he would win), he was automatically outbid. What stops someone setting up a system to automatically outbid someone on an item? It reminds me of that bird you got years ago with the liquid in, all it did was bob it's head everytime so all you do is get one of those and let it push the "bib" button every few seconds.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

You know when you sell something on auction what its worth or what figure would make you happy, so you get a mate to put a autobid of say R500.00

The person bidding on it gets frustrated when being outbid by your close connection and in a moment of weakness bids and bids until he gets the item at R550.00

You know how "wants" far outweigh "needs", it becomes like a gambling machine becoz now you get the impression that wait a sec this item must be worth more if somebody else is willing to autobid this amount so NEWBIES get caught LEKKER, because they will not leave until they have it...mind you, i have been caught like that before.:cry:

BOB should have a sign that says "BidorBuy Responsibly":nuts:

Edited by ATOMICSQUIRREL

wayjen    10
wayjen

It would not surprise me if something like this happens. I am just happy to get a bid.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

OK thank you all for the advise....will do,but I think I'll feel bad if I got it for R21.I'll just have to see what happens.Thanks.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

Yip..know your item, the demand, know the resell value and you won't get caught.

...and don't forget to check shipping charges before you bid, that can throw out everything.

wayjen    10
wayjen

ha ha ha why feel bad?

Jeez please don't go to the R1 auctions you probably off yourself with those low amounts.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL
OK thank you all for the advise....will do,but I think I'll feel bad if I got it for R21.I'll just have to see what happens.Thanks.

Why would you feel bad?

Sellers know the risk....you win some, you lose some.

Okay if you win i will buy it from you for R22.00?:nuts:

I will carry the guilt for you...

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

"I was thinking about it...what is stopping 2 friends from registering, they put high autobids on each others items to get the best figures. If your friend so happens to accidently win the bid you 2 can always cancel the transaction and start over again....DODGY huh?"

I thought I've saw that happening,but on further investigation,the bidder bid on lots of other seller's auctions......But one never knows,what's going on out there.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Yeah 2 stupid guys like the movie Dumber and Dumber bidding on each others items and pushing the price up and they the only ones bidding, at the end of the day they sell to each other and BoB gets his cut. BoB win.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn
Why would you feel bad?

Sellers know the risk....you win some, you lose some.

Okay if you win i will buy it from you for R22.00?:nuts:

I will carry the guilt for you...

HAha.... It's 3 antique beds that's in need of a lot of repair....but still.With the price for the delivery and then the repairs I think R150 should be a bit better than R21.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Ah now I see,the previous bidder had a limit of R32,so he/she will have to beat my R150.

Thanks again now I get it.

wayjen    10
wayjen

good luck!

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

I'm a fabricator so that will be a walk in the park.

Do you prefer cash or eft?

Just joking:nuts:

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Thanks Wayjen

HAha..."I'm a fabricator so that will be a walk in the park.

Do you prefer cash or eft?"

qball    11
qball

"Proxy" bidding is a standard on most online auction sites (we refer to it as an auto bid), it is designed to bid on your behalf should you be unable to bid on the auction yourself (you could be away from your desk/PC etc.), so even if you put in a bid, the other bidders auto bid will automatically kick in and outbid you (as long as their bid limit is higher than your highest bid). You will always be outbid automatically if someone else has a higher autobid limit.

The other issue you refer to is shill bidding, which is monitored by our team. We also pick this up on SNCs filed, so the chances of getting away with that are small.

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

Ah thank you Gball,makes sense.

wayjen    10
wayjen

I wonder how many people that said they never bid on a particular item actually had the autobid function in place but did not realise it?

JohnBenn    10
JohnBenn

No idea.

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
Now that you mention it, do you know how many times i have had that happen to me....sorry you've been outbid x 200

nice way to push up those figures.

I was thinking about it...what is stopping 2 friends from registering, they put high autobids on each others items to get the best figures. If your friend so happens to accidently win the bid you 2 can always cancel the transaction and start over again....DODGY huh?

Especially if the person bidding against you is "discreet" you will never know you`ve been had. It takes a lot of fun

out of bidding as well.