Sign in to follow this  
TaLamia

Seller deletes low bids to relist item

TaLamia    11
TaLamia

This is the second time that this has happened to me recently and I'm just quite annoyed by this "practice". Seller deletes your bid right before listing is supposed to end because they are not willing to let it go for a low bid.

I had a bid on this item: (either first or second bid in, can't remember exactlt now) Other Antiques & Collectables - CRAZY R1.00 START ! on a 'CaRRoL BoYeS' style CLOCK - WITH MAN & WOMAN CHROME COLOUR - BRAND NEW was listed for R1.00 on 8 Mar at 10:38 by cinderella72 in Port Elizabeth (ID:59674058)And received an email now that my bid was deleted and then another email to say item has been deleted as "Seller wants to relist the item as there is an error in the current auction description."

I see that the item has been relisted: Other Antiques & Collectables - CRAZY R1.00 START ! on a 'CaRRoL BoYeS' style CLOCK - WITH MAN & WOMAN CHROME COLOUR - BRAND NEW for sale in Port Elizabeth (ID:60266335)It has NO different information whatsoever except seller removed the pink heading part "LAST ONE I HAVE LIKE THIS, SO BE SURE NOT TO MISS OUT!" from the original listing.

The other time this happened to me I also had a R1 bid in, this time it was on a Crazy Wednesday item and with another seller. Same procedure happened, bid deleted, item deleted, same excuse as wanting to relist as there is an error in description, no re-listing happened. I reported immediately to CW with no response.

I HAVE NEVER EVER EVEN CONSIDERED THIS TO BE A VIABLE OPTION OF SELLING PRACTICE EVER. I never list anything as a R1 auction unless I was willing to part with it at R1. It really makes me sad that this is even considered ethical by sellers. And it seems there is no recourse when this happens. WTF (excuse my abbreviation language LOL)

arggghhhh *annoyed*

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I think you need to report this to communitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za again. Perhaps your other email didn't reach them - there were problems with things around 24th November 2011 if I remember correctly.

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns

Hi TaLamia,

And thank you so very much for your post. The same thing happened to me, had my eye on an item listed for R1 and which already had one bid on it. I was about to bid on it (appr. 8 hours before closing) but was distracted for about 20 mins attending to something and when returning to place my bid found that the item had been closed! This seemingly after a q&a session with another buyer.

This was reported to BoB, no response. I then pm'd the seller here, still no response. Then I noticed recently that the item had been listed again at a substantially higher price and so I again pm'd the seller - stating the price I had been willing to pay in the first place, which exceeded the current higher price. Still no response. I note that the item has now disappeared again.

Here's a cached version of the original page with the bid:

Antique Jewellery - Antique Filigree bracelet with stones Made in Palestine. No Reserve!!!!! for sale in Cape Town (ID:57453350)

I couldn't find the cached copy of the q&a session, but can remember who the buyer was.

Edited by oaks and acorns

meeks    10
meeks

This is the oldest trick in the "Bidorbuy book of rules" - "an error in the listing" when the item/s are about to cause a loss to the seller, and seller then scrambles to get the bids deleted. ( I have been the "victim" of this before as well", and needless to say, I do not support those sellers ever again.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

But surely BoB can ban such sellers? It doesn't take a great deal of brainpower to see when people are doing this?

Cuan - let's have your view on the situation, please. Here we have two potential buyers with similar experiences.

TaLamia    11
TaLamia

I really am not looking for a ban on any seller caught doing this once, I just wished there was at least an official warning sent to them when they do it so they at least know that there are eyes on them when they do this unscrupulous practice.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

I am sure they are not allowed to that!?

Once a bid is place it should be binding until you are outbid or unless bidder & seller both agree to have the bid deleted.:blink:

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns

In this instance the seller closed the auction (with a bid placed) hours before end time and then also closed every other item they had (all high value items). The seller and items reappeared again a week or so ago.

I know they're not allowed to do that, it's in a thread here somewhere where admin wrote that an auction cannot be closed if it has a bid.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

Did anybody report them....?

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns
I really am not looking for a ban on any seller caught doing this once, I just wished there was at least an official warning sent to them when they do it so they at least know that there are eyes on them when they do this unscrupulous practice.

I'm all for a ban, TaLamia.

Wanted this item with a sore heart, but won't support sellers of this calibre.

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns
Did anybody report them....?

I reported it, twice. No response.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

That's not good. BOB watz da story!?

qball    11
qball

My apologies for this, I am not sure why this was not responded to. The seller has been issued with a warning and should this activity continue we will restrict their ability to sell on the site.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

BullsEye!!! :nuts:

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns

Sorry has to be one of the most useless words in the English dictionary.

qball    11
qball
This is the second time that this has happened to me recently and I'm just quite annoyed by this "practice". Seller deletes your bid right before listing is supposed to end because they are not willing to let it go for a low bid.

I had a bid on this item: (either first or second bid in, can't remember exactlt now) Other Antiques & Collectables - CRAZY R1.00 START ! on a 'CaRRoL BoYeS' style CLOCK - WITH MAN & WOMAN CHROME COLOUR - BRAND NEW was listed for R1.00 on 8 Mar at 10:38 by cinderella72 in Port Elizabeth (ID:59674058)And received an email now that my bid was deleted and then another email to say item has been deleted as "Seller wants to relist the item as there is an error in the current auction description."

I see that the item has been relisted: Other Antiques & Collectables - CRAZY R1.00 START ! on a 'CaRRoL BoYeS' style CLOCK - WITH MAN & WOMAN CHROME COLOUR - BRAND NEW for sale in Port Elizabeth (ID:60266335)It has NO different information whatsoever except seller removed the pink heading part "LAST ONE I HAVE LIKE THIS, SO BE SURE NOT TO MISS OUT!" from the original listing.

The other time this happened to me I also had a R1 bid in, this time it was on a Crazy Wednesday item and with another seller. Same procedure happened, bid deleted, item deleted, same excuse as wanting to relist as there is an error in description, no re-listing happened. I reported immediately to CW with no response.

I HAVE NEVER EVER EVEN CONSIDERED THIS TO BE A VIABLE OPTION OF SELLING PRACTICE EVER. I never list anything as a R1 auction unless I was willing to part with it at R1. It really makes me sad that this is even considered ethical by sellers. And it seems there is no recourse when this happens. WTF (excuse my abbreviation language LOL)

arggghhhh *annoyed*

This is being investigated and the necessary action will be taken.

zerohour    11
zerohour
Sorry has to be one of the most useless words in the English dictionary.

I am the seller you reported to BOB and also accused of being unethical , i have been on BOB since 2004 and have never had any issues, this is not my living just a hobby and infact i mostly buy on BOB.

I responded to BOB after your accusations and your "smiley face" included in your email to BOB that my car had broken down and at the same time i had a compressed disc in my neck causing extreme pain, have recently had surgery for this, (if anyone has had this they will understand the pain) and so i deleted all my few items for sale during this period as i had no transport and was in severe pain, i would rather have a happy buyer than one who is waiting for delivery. Yours was the only one with a 1 rand bid on it.

The options to close a auction are limited, there is no option for no transport or illness.

Edited by qball

zerohour    11
zerohour

I am the seller you reported to BOB and also accused of being unethical , i have been on BOB since 2004 and have never had any issues, this is not my living just a hobby and infact i mostly buy on BOB.

I responded to BOB after your accusations and Innuendos to BOB, that my car had broken down and at the same time i had a compressed disc in my neck causing extreme pain, have recently had surgery for this, (if anyone has had this they will understand the pain) and so i deleted all my few items for sale during this period as i had no transport and was in severe pain, i would rather have a happy buyer than one who is waiting for delivery. Yours was the only one with a bid. (1 rand )

The options to close a auction are limited, there is no option for no transport or illness

I reiterate agian i do not make a living on BOB i mostly buy but decided to sell off a few items that were gathering dust or not being used

Tell you what if you want it so badly i will send it to you with pleasure for free including postage just as long as you keep far away from anything else i might have up for auction, dont need this, make sure you have the facts before accuse and make a big song and dance about it here, will also glady pay bob commision for a R300 sale.

AS you are a new user it will be interesting to see how you progress here on BOB.

Have a nice day

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns

I responded to BOB after your accusations and your "smiley face" included in your email to BOB that my car had broken down and at the same time i had a compressed disc in my neck causing extreme pain, have recently had surgery for this, (if anyone has had this they will understand the pain) and so i deleted all my few items for sale during this period as i had no transport and was in severe pain, i would rather have a happy buyer than one who is waiting for delivery. Yours was the only one with a 1 rand bid on it.

The options to close a auction are limited, there is no option for no transport or illness.

I am not the person who emailed you with accusations and a "smiley face".

I never got to bid on the item as you closed it as I was about to bid.

The person you are referring to with the 1 rand bid would be the person on this cached page:

Antique Jewellery - Antique Filigree bracelet with stones Made in Palestine. No Reserve!!!!! for sale in Cape Town (ID:57453350)+

I am however the person who pm'd you, politely, twice here on this forum, with regards to this item and gave you a figure I was willing to pay for it. You ignored both communications.

The fact remains, you may not delete an item with a bid on it.

And when you relisted the item, you relisted it for R300. Not 1 rand.

Dodgy.

qball    11
qball

Thread closed - posts becoming confrontational and attacking. Should it continue, bans will be handed out.