Sign in to follow this  
ATA STAMP CENTRE

New ratings format?

Jongleur
I find it interesting to see how many people have pages and pages of ratings from small cash amounts..is that whats bothering some ?

The income value should be of no consequence.The rating system does`nt factor rand value in the equation.

Pages and pages of 100% ratings will impress any buyer.

dstorm

Hello all

My point is that whether we sell low priced items (a relative term) or high priced items (obviously also a relative term), we should be proud of the prices that we sell for or for the prices that we achieve on auction.

So why not be glad that these are publicly displayed?

Keep well and regards

Jacques

oaks and acorns
My point is that whether we sell low priced items (a relative term) or high priced items (obviously also a relative term), we should be proud of the prices that we sell for or for the prices that we achieve on auction.

So why not be glad that these are publicly displayed?

These are already displayed, on the listing pages of each item.

Now how's this for a scenario...

We have JC himself (joe cool) sitting somewhere in gauteng quaffing his favorite nitecap and beaming with pride 'cos he's done really well and now the whole world knows it, so far so good... when along comes a cyber skabanga, attracted by all those yummy figures that are being flashed about, and decides to buy an item. Details, details, details! And of course, according to legislation a seller may not refuse to divulge their address. Next thing joe wakes up to find that he's been burgled (or something).

Do Not Cry When This Happens To You.

Every sensible South African citizen at some level knows that this kind of thing is just not on.

If a seller abuses the system (as purported in this thread) BoB still has reasonable control over the situation. In joe cool's case, BoB has none.

Zero.

Zilch.

Nothing.

And neither does joe.

Edited by oaks and acorns

Not1CentMore
These are already displayed, on the listing pages of each item.

Now how's this for a scenario...

We have JC himself (joe cool) sitting somewhere in gauteng quaffing his favorite nitecap and beaming with pride 'cos he's done really well and now the whole world knows it, so far so good... when along comes a cyber skabanga, attracted by all those yummy figures that are being flashed about, and decides to buy an item. Details, details, details! And of course, according to legislation a seller may not refuse to divulge their address. Next thing joe wakes up to find that he's been burgled (or something).

Do Not Cry When This Happens To You.

Every sensible South African citizen at some level knows that this kind of thing is just not on.

If a seller abuses the system (as purported in this thread) BoB still has reasonable control over the situation. In joe cool's case, BoB has none.

Zero.

Zilch.

Nothing.

And neither does joe.

Hadn't 'chewed' on that part of it; too much land and water between here and there, but good point!

JC may be 'proud as punch' counting cha-ching instead of sheep when he goes to bed....until Dirty Dawg, who sees all the money Joe is 'raking in', bids R1 on Joe's half-eaten PB&J sandwich, gets Joe's personal information and decides to visit him, uninvited, in the middle of the night and ________ (fill in the blank).

Guess it could be said that Dirty Dawg could accomplish the same thing before the 'new and approved' rating system, but it would have required a little more 'work' and most criminal-minded folk aren't much into 'work'. This way, it could be said it is more like 'taking candy from a baby'.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore
was to is

voldermort

Both very valid points above, however I am still none the wiser as to why no indication is being shown as to what the item sold was.

What good is it for a new buyer to see that I sold the SAS Donkin for R400 without seeing at a glance what exactly the SAS Donkin was?

If you click on Items Sold there is a lovely picture of items sold with price sold, date sold etc etc - why not just move that over to the ratings section with the rating next to it?

Little Miss Muffet

"Joe cool" ,Dirty Dawk" and then there is SARS. I pay tax and need not fear but it certainly is Sars friendly.

I haven't been this angry for a long time. Really gets my back up.

:shock:

Little Miss Muffet
I find it interesting to see how many people have pages and pages of ratings from small cash amounts..is that whats bothering some ?

I often do the Wednesday crazy auctions and sometimes prices can be disappointing but then again they often suprise me too.

I see many items that other users enter on Wed crazy that will obviously sell for R1 but who says their reason is to build up ratings. Perhaps they place value on the the items that others dont.

I have often advised people who want to join Bob to sell a few low priced items to build up a few ratings in order to gain buyters trust.Not everyone who has sold a few low priced items is about to commit fraud on Bob.

What is the percentage of users who do this? Is it so high that it calls for this action on Bob? I think not.

It will make no differance to new buyers as it will take time for them to figure out how to use the rating system to judge a sellers integrity and may never use it.

I often see buyers handing out a negative rating to someone who already has a number of them and obviously did not check this out before bidding on the users listing.

Poor excuse for this new feature.

Edited by geewhizz

Miss Jewels

Makes one reconsider as to where to sell your items:unsure: As our financial info has been displayed for all, can BoB please inform us to their Feburary income? Surely this is the same? If you make the rule, it should count for all

"Joe cool" ,Dirty Dawk" and then there is SARS. I pay tax and need not fear but it certainly is Sars friendly.

I haven't been this angry for a long time. Really gets my back up.

:shock:

Little Miss Muffet
Makes one reconsider as to where to sell your items:unsure: As our financial info has been displayed for all, can BoB please inform us to their Feburary income? Surely this is the same? If you make the rule, it should count for all

Good idea. Get your calculators guys.Dont forget to add all the extra's.

Seeds for Africa

Its actually not that easy to tally up what a seller has sold from the ratings. 2 things that are unknowns when looking at the price are :

a) The seller may have sold multiple items to the buyer at that price.

b) The seller may have upsold via prompts, and that value cant be seen anywhere.

Little Miss Muffet

None of those apply to me or very little.

lilythepink

Good idea - let us know all about BoB's income! If BoB can openly display ours, let us see theirs! Fair is fair.

Little Miss Muffet

We are not even allowed to know how many users Bob has.

Where are the hackers???

Guest MacMuffin

I am not sure why everyone is complaining - right now you will be able to see under "Items Recently Sold" what a specific seller has sold. The same applies to "Recently Bought & Won".

We see a number of benefits:

- Buyers will be able to judge a sellers ratings not just by the number of items sold, but the purchase price. In many cases, negative comments are around product quality, and then having a price displayed will put this in context.

- There is the upsell opportunity (i.e. buyer views the ratings, sees an item at a good price and pursues the purchase)

We do believe that sharing the item price (which should not be confused with disclosing your turnover) will aid users to make informed decisions.

@geewhizz: We have over 750k users (about 10-15k new users per month). Our turnover is also available - add up all success-fees for items recently bought, subtract expenditure (staff, IT-infrastructure, hosting, marketing, other operational costs) and you have our balance sheet.

Edited by MacMuffin

MrAerospace

I try not to get too involved in contentious issues when I am a small fry in the scheme of things, but I think this idea is crazy. Yes, people who really want to know more about me can find out but to make everyone's sales so blatantly visible under the ratings seems (to me anyway) a blatant intrusion on one's privacy. Just my two cents worth ...

voldermort
I am not sure why everyone is complaining - right now you will be able to see under "Items Recently Sold" what a specific seller has sold. The same applies to "Recently Bought & Won".

- Buyers will be able to judge a sellers ratings not just by the number of items sold, but the purchase price. In many cases, negative comments are around product quality, and then having a price displayed will put this in context.

- There is the upsell opportunity (i.e. buyer views the ratings, sees an item at a good price and pursues the purchase)

We do believe that sharing the item price (which should not be confused with disclosing your turnover) will aid users to make informed decisions.

I have no gripe with price bn displayed however I still fail to see why right now the item that was sold is basically shrouded in secrecy.

I was not joking when I said that according to my ratings I have sold Mozambique, Bruce Willis etc etc - but nowhere on my rating page (unless I click onto the heading, which many new buyers do not know to do) does it say what the item actually was - therefore have I sold a Mozambique book, a Mozambique plate, a Mozambique person, Mozambique??........

If you are trying to make it easier for new buyers to gauge sellers reputation, surely it would help if the new buyers then could see at a glance what the item was (not just a heading because it could be anything), the price sold & the rating given?

Seriously, we are going to get new buyers seeing that perhaps we sold a BMW for R100 without realising that it may very well have bn a toy.

Little Miss Muffet

@geewhizz: We have over 750k users (about 10-15k new users per month). Our turnover is also available - add up all success-fees for items recently bought, subtract expenditure (staff, IT-infrastructure, hosting, marketing, other operational costs) and you have our balance sheet.

Really Macmuffin. Could you send me a breakdown of Bob staff salaries so that I can use my mathematical abiblities to work it out.

To save everyone the trouble of adding up what my monthly turnover is I may as well make it public

Between 12,000-15,000 A month and a really good month has reached R25,000

I have probably earned Bob about R30,000 in the four years I have sold on Bob.

I am just small fry and would not even be missed.

Edited by geewhizz

Guest MacMuffin
Really Macmuffin. Could you send me a breakdown of Bob staff salaries so that I can use my mathematical abiblities to work it out.

I can't really disclose everyone's salary, but mine has always been publicly available on my profile page.

MiemsJewels

Now everybody can see how poor we really are! Shame! I do not like this new rating system. It is NOT so AYOBA!

Little Miss Muffet

With the profit I make I can afford to treat myself with peanuts from time to time.

Good thing no one knows what I earn offline.

meeks

New Ratings Format

Brick and Mortar shops do not display to the public what they sold items for on any given day, it is a transaction between shopkeeper and the customer at that specific time?

This is mind boggling,

JohnBenn

Will this not attract scammers and hackers,more easily?Some of them might not have known were to look to see what sellers made,now it's basically in their faces....just my 2 cents.

brands online

This is crazy. So what if an item sold for R1-00 this week and R300-00 next week. That's what auctions are all about and that's why loads of sellers take the gamble. With this new rating system, buyers will simply feel they're paying too much all the time because someone else perhaps won the auction at a lesser price last week. Looking at Crazy Wednesdays thus far, this seems to be exactly the case. Another BOB decision gone wayward. A norm these days...

qball
Will this not attract scammers and hackers,more easily?Some of them might not have known were to look to see what sellers made,now it's basically in their faces....just my 2 cents.

Please could you elaborate how this will attract scammers and hackers?

qball
This is crazy. So what if an item sold for R1-00 this week and R300-00 next week. That's what auctions are all about and that's why loads of sellers take the gamble. With this new rating system, buyers will simply feel they're paying too much all the time because someone else perhaps won the auction at a lesser price last week. Looking at Crazy Wednesdays thus far, this seems to be exactly the case. Another BOB decision gone wayward. A norm these days...

Highly unlikely....