Sign in to follow this  
BestBuyOnline

Seller wants to back out of auction

BestBuyOnline    10
BestBuyOnline

Hi all

I won the following auction last night

Other Computers & Networking - ***IN STOCK*** 7" Android TOUCH WiFi + 3G Support Tablet PC, Webcam, was sold for R565.00 on 29 Feb at 20:01 by SProducts in Johannesburg (ID:58322599)

I paid promptly, requesting delivery via courier, and, as it is a birthday present, requested that it be delivered no later than 7 March 2012.

Tonight I am informed by the Seller as follows : "Please note I am moving so there will be a delays in sendng out shipments".

I inform him that there was no notice in his auction terms and as a matter of fact, it was stated that if payment was made before 16:00 today, the item will be shipped tomorrow, being Friday.

Long story short, after insisting on the product after being offered a refund, I receive the following from him :

"It's just easy, you can get another gift or buy from another seller and there is no harm or bad blood. I no longer want to deal with you, so please let's cancel the deal. If you can't hear when I mention my problem the clearly we're not supposed to be in a any kind of a dealing.

Please I don't want to sell to you, I won't be able to satisfy you and so it's better to just drop everything and we'll both be satisfied without any problems.

Please send your banking details and I will refund you during the weekend. I won't be responding to any of your emails from now on and would only expect banking details for the refund."

I do not feel that this is fair. I won the item on auction and now he expects me to just accept the refund instead of the item?

And above all, he no longer wants to deal with me? Is it that unthinkable that I would insist on delivery of the item won on auction and within the time limits stated in his own terms and conditions?

Your thoughts on this would be highly appreciated.

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

It sounds like he has made a HUGE loss on the unit , or didnt make enough to purchase the unit , the auction is legal and binding both ways ,but recourse to the law is tricky and time consuming , get your money back and run like hell , that one wasnt meant to be , to pursue the issue further will be a waste of time and money .

mrmouse    12
mrmouse

and according to SA consumer act his terms and conditions are totaly illegal , its not up to him to dictate , warrantys , returns , etc , the law is very clear on that , BUT has yet to be tested in a court of law .give the rating you feel fit and report to community watch . I wouldnt lose any sleep over it .

wayjen    10
wayjen

SProducts is a regular on the forum and he too has tons of issues with Buyers and couriers alike so maybe one of his many friends here can alert him to this thread so he can enlighten us as to what is happening here.

admin    0
admin
SProducts is a regular on the forum and he too has tons of issues with Buyers and couriers alike so maybe one of his many friends here can alert him to this thread so he can enlighten us as to what is happening here.

As per the forum rules, I did and usually do, he will answer as soon as he gets to an internet shop.

SProducts    10
SProducts

Thanks Admin for alerting me, once again you're one step ahead and a lot more steps ahead.

OFF THE RECORD, I would say this is a pure lie but the buyer would say it's defamation of character. So this is not a lie but a manipulation of the truth. I don't know admin, if it's wrong please delete whatever, I think it's best to just paste our email communication so the forum members can decide for themselves.

I have set an auto responder on my email which alerts anyone contacting me that I am moving and as such replies will be delayed and including shipping.

Ronel

Dear Sipho,

Do you also stock the cover with keyboard?

Kind regards

Sipho

Hi

Yes we have the cover keyboard, you can check on our listing for those.

regards

Ronel

Hi Sipho

Thank you, but as stated, this is a birthday gift for 7 March 2012 and I have already ordered another one while waiting for you to respond.

Kindly send the order out asap.

Kind regards

Sipho

Hi

Do you mean you ordered the Keyboard or tablet?

Please note I am moving so there will be a delays in sendng out shipments.

Regards

Ronel

I ordered the keyboard from somebody else Sipho.

I did not see any notice on your auctions that there will be a delay in shipping the item won on auction. I have already paid you for the tablet, why on earth would I be ordering another one?

Please see to it that the item won on auction (tablet) is delivered no later than 7 March 2012. Surely 6 days should be fine for a parcel delivered via courier?

Kind regards

Sipho

Hi

I have sent an autor esponder on my emails because there's no way to do that on Bidorbuy at the moment. I cannot make any guarantees that's, I still have to give the couriers new addresses for collections in between unpacking and packing and all.

If it's urgent I would suggest I refund the order so you can buy the another gift or the same from somwhere as to avoid inconveniences especially if it's for a gift next week.

Regards

Ronel

This is unacceptable Sipho.

I have received no auto response whatsoever.

Why did you put goods on auction if you cannot deliver?

I won the auction and according to your own terms and conditions, you will send out the order tomorrow, seeing that I paid before 16:00 today and seeing that tomorrow is Friday.

I do not want to seem harsh, but being a seller myself, I know that we all need to make the necessary arrangements so that business could go on and buyers are not inconvenienced.

I do not want a refund, I want the item which you said was in stock and ready to ship and I want it delivered no later than 7 March 2012.

Easy as that.

Sipho

Hi

I have sent an autor esponder on my emails because there's no way to do that on Bidorbuy at the moment. I cannot make any guarantees that's, I still have to give the couriers new addresses for collections in between unpacking and packing and all.

If it's urgent I would suggest I refund the order so you can buy the another gift or the same from somwhere as to avoid inconveniences especially if it's for a gift next week.

Regards

Ronel

This is unacceptable Sipho.

I have received no auto response whatsoever.

Why did you put goods on auction if you cannot deliver?

I won the auction and according to your own terms and conditions, you will send out the order tomorrow, seeing that I paid before 16:00 today and seeing that tomorrow is Friday.

I do not want to seem harsh, but being a seller myself, I know that we all need to make the necessary arrangements so that business could go on and buyers are not inconvenienced.

I do not want a refund, I want the item which you said was in stock and ready to ship and I want it delivered no later than 7 March 2012.

Easy as that.

Sipho

Hi

I don't why you didn't get an auto responder, but almost all people sent me emails have received them. As we speak I am responding from a phone and am not on internet.

I know the terms, which say items are normally sent within 2 working days after confirmation os payment and we also confirm payment in the afternoon the day for payments of the same day or day before made after 5pm.

Please, I know my situation and you don't know it. So I am telling what I can do and what I can't and that is why I won't make guarantees I won't keep.

I say again, please get another gift and I will refund you or else you can get the item delivered without pressure as I won't guarantee when it will be dispatched.

I am sure if you ever moved you're aware about the problems, packing, unpacking and other things going missing or broken and the rest. So I will need that time to put everything together.

Regards

Ronel

Sorry no, this is not acceptable. I would suggest that you take whatever steps are necessary to ensure delivery.

If you had the notice on your item I would have placed a bid on another seller's item, but you did not.

If you cannot deliver, I would suggest you buy out from another seller and get it delivered in time.

Sipho

Hi

Sorry, I've told you I am even unable to do internet on my laptop, so how do I go on Bidorbuy and purchase from another seller? If there is a possibility to purchase from another why can't you do that and I refund you and we live peacefully without any unnecessary pressures, demands and complications?

It's just easy, you can get another gift or buy from another seller and there is no harm or bad blood. I no longer want to deal with you, so please let's cancel the deal. If you can't hear when I mention my problem the clearly we're not supposed to be in a any kind of a dealing.

Please I don't want to sell to you, I won't be able to satisfy you and so it's better to just drop everything and we'll both be satisfied without any problems.

Please send your banking details and I will refund you during the weekend. I won't be responding to any of your emails from now on and would only expect banking details for the refund.

Regards

Ronel

It is not easy as that. Tell you what, I will buy it out from another seller at the cheapest possible price and then you refund that amount or you can pay the seller directly.

After all, it is just fair that I still get the item at the same price. Otherwise, I am not in the same position I would have been, had you held up your part of the bargain.

Good?

So that's the communication, I have never refused to sell to Ronel, I just mentioned my shortcomings and he couldn't listen to anything except want what he wants.

I was still going to sell the product to him as long as he doesn't pressure me about time. But now I don't want to sell to him since it's clear this deal won't work.

Sorry if there are spelling errors, typos or some thing don't make sense, but these emails copies are the truth and nothing edited and manipulated.

Sipho

Edited by SProducts

SProducts    10
SProducts
and according to SA consumer act his terms and conditions are totaly illegal , its not up to him to dictate , warrantys , returns , etc , the law is very clear on that , BUT has yet to be tested in a court of law .give the rating you feel fit and report to community watch . I wouldnt lose any sleep over it .

Please read my reply, Ronel has manipulated the whole truth and only picked up what works for him.

Sipho

SProducts    10
SProducts

Admin has already done that, thanks for the confidence.

Sipho

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

All sellers are aware of the importance of storing items listed so they are easily available when they are sold.

If I had an item listed (I assume it was a Wednesday crazy) and I knew I was moving I would make sure I can access the item easily in order to send it to the buyer. More so if I was moving.

Sorry sproducts I must disagree with you.

SProducts    10
SProducts

On another note, it's a true story which most sellers and buyers alike might not relate to, but it is.

Last week I ran out of Fastway bags on Wednesday and when they picked up on Thursday I requested the bag. They were supposed to be delivered on Friday and nothing. Monday morning I send an sms to the franchisee (I usually book that way) and nothing. Tuesday same thing and I even call and their office promise to send the bags and pick the parcels I have and nothing. Wednesday they come up with an excuse of month end and promise to deliver and pick up afternoon and still nothing. Thursday they call and promise to delivery and pick up before 1pm and nothing.

All this time I sms and call, they call back but still nothing happens and buyers are complaining. Believe me, they only delivered and picked up today, luckily I had the parcels there as I was moving and had to go up and down to ensure nothing gets lost in between moving and Ronel sending emails every few minutes.

So, fastway is franchise company. What happens in another area might not happen in another. If a seller use Fastway they shouldn't assume things because you don't what happens on the other end.

Sipho

Edited by SProducts

wayjen    10
wayjen

Relying on another party when you are in this business is not good. Now I am not directing this at you in particular but everyone who dropships or imports items or has to wait for someone else with regards shipping. We all know that the PO in this country leaves allot to be desired but I would rather have 1 bad egg in my basket then 2 or 3. What I am trying to say is, is it rather not better to physically have the items you are selling in your hand so it can be dispatched as soon as the item is won and is it not better to have courier bags in stock or even better take the parcel to the PO to get shipped wherever, thereby you are in control of the business and the margin for error is limited.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

We recently undertook a move which although planned for being less than 10 days, ended up being closer to a month without internet access.

In the 10 weeks leading up to the move, I had a note in my shipping section that for a specific period the office would be closed and that all orders within that bracket would only be able to be dispatched once the office opened again in the new town (400km away). Thanks to the muck up between Telkom and Mweb, we only got our internet connected 3 weeks after the stipulated dates, but in that time I kept in constant contact with my buyers (internet cafe's and 3G thingy with a state of the ark laptop!) and still dispatched parcels if I had already found the items. The longest about 3 buyers had to wait was an additional week as their items were the same and small - for the life of me I could not remember what box they were in!

It is the sellers' responsibility to ensure that any possible delays or "office closure" is boldly advertised in all listings long before the "non-availability", and not to rely solely on an auto-responder as in most cases the auto messages are only sent out when the user actually logs' in on their email account (I discovered this the hard way a few years back)! The only alternative is to close all your listings until your move is over - that way you are going to be "safe"!

SProducts    10
SProducts
All sellers are aware of the importance of storing items listed so they are easily available when they are sold.

If I had an item listed (I assume it was a Wednesday crazy) and I knew I was moving I would make sure I can access the item easily in order to send it to the buyer. More so if I was moving.

Sorry sproducts I must disagree with you.

I fully agree with you, maybe we need to check the real issue which is guarantee. In my respond, I state I cannot guarantee when the item will be delivered because I have no control over that. Please my comment about Fastway and that is 100% if not more correct, I can forward you all the sms's and voicemails (well I can't they were deleted, but somwhere in Vodacom Network). I have waited for a week for parcels to be picked up by Fastway and delivery of bags by them.

If I try to be careful and avoid making promises I can't keep because I know how things go so I avoid people running down at me am sure is better than saying "tomorrow you will have your product" when I know it's impossible due to things I can't control.

I bought an item from another seller on Wednesday, the seller told me they will send via Fastway on Thursday and the morning on Thursday I go the item and I was floored. How possible is that? Buy something today afternoon and get it morning the following day. I can't explain that. But everytime I sent items I have to wait for courier to pick up, Fastway franchisee take whatever time they want, even when I complain to Joburg office (I have emails, sms, to prove it) it doesnt' help.

Things might work better somewhere else, but they don't somewhere else.

My point, I wont commit myself to something I am not 100% sure about it. I won't commit to delivering Ronel's product on the 7th because I know it won't happen unless by a miracle. Fastway works on Franchisee and it's different from a company but dependent on indivdiual's principles and aspirations.

Sipho

SProducts    10
SProducts
We recently undertook a move which although planned for being less than 10 days, ended up being closer to a month without internet access.

In the 10 weeks leading up to the move, I had a note in my shipping section that for a specific period the office would be closed and that all orders within that bracket would only be able to be dispatched once the office opened again in the new town (400km away). Thanks to the muck up between Telkom and Mweb, we only got our internet connected 3 weeks after the stipulated dates, but in that time I kept in constant contact with my buyers (internet cafe's and 3G thingy with a state of the ark laptop!) and still dispatched parcels if I had already found the items. The longest about 3 buyers had to wait was an additional week as their items were the same and small - for the life of me I could not remember what box they were in!

It is the sellers' responsibility to ensure that any possible delays or "office closure" is boldly advertised in all listings long before the "non-availability", and not to rely solely on an auto-responder as in most cases the auto messages are only sent out when the user actually logs' in on their email account (I discovered this the hard way a few years back)! The only alternative is to close all your listings until your move is over - that way you are going to be "safe"!

The seller should be responsible to ensure client are informed of any delays or possible problems. If you can check my respond to Wayjen post, I have people who should have their item delivered last week but wasn't because I was waitning for fastway to pick and/or deliver bag. As soon as I was aware of the problem I informed all buyers that I had problems with fastway. Most opted for alternative delivery options and some said they would wait. Some I still have to send their items, I only got the bags today and will still struggle with Fastway to pickup. They could'nt pickup from my last address, imagine in a new address and they would be coming with all sorts of excuses about wrong addresses and all.

Maybe I am living in a wrong area (Kempton Park), but believe me Fastway is not the same here. I call, sms , email a lot before there's action.

BestBuyOnline    10
BestBuyOnline
My point, I wont commit myself to something I am not 100% sure about it. I won't commit to delivering Ronel's product on the 7th because I know it won't happen unless by a miracle. Fastway works on Franchisee and it's different from a company but dependent on indivdiual's principles and aspirations.

Sipho

This is my problem. It is stated in the item description that the item is in stock. If Sipho has problems with his courier, why not use an alternative shipping method. I am quite willing to take my chances with Speedservices. I use it myself for delivering overnight parcels and have very rarely been disappointed.

I think the real issue here is that, although Sipho states that the item is in stock, it is not. Now a big hoo-ha is being made about how undependable Fastway Couriers are - perhaps they should also be directed at this thread, as their reputation is also at stake here. While the real issue is being avoided.

I still feel that, should Sipho then be unable to deliver, he should take the necessary steps to ensure that the item is delivered, like buy it out from another seller on bidorbuy. I have also offered to look for the best possible price, as he has stated that he has problems with his internet. I should not be the one to take the loss here, as the auction was won fair and square.

Surely it cannot just be as easy as this to back out of an auction when you feel your item did not fetch the desired price?

What steps have been taken to try and make the delivery possible? None?

Edited by BestBuyOnline

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I think BoB management needs to get involved here. Advertising something that is in stock in order to generate sales, when the seller knows he does not have the item, is illegal and should be addressed seriously.

When I went overseas for 3 weeks, I closed all 435 listings. To me this was a huge loss, but the loss of clients whom I would not have been able to uphold my shipping terms to, would have been far greater, thus my decision.

Drop shipping also cannot be dictated as the middleman (the seller) is dependant on the supplier. Be honest about what is in stock! An unhappy client will not return. There is an old saying : bad new travels faster than good news. A happy client seldom spreads the word, but an unhappy client states his case to all.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Yes, something should have been done in this case to make you happy. We all know how important good customer relations are to our businesses, and that we get rated for the overall experience the Buyer has with us. I can now imagine what type of rating will be handed out with regards this sale and it could have been avoided but there might just be enough time to sort that out.

When will people start looking at their own ratings and realise that something is wrong and try and sort out their issues before it gets out of hand. Remember, we all start of with good intentions and when issues start creeping in and the problems are left unchecked they just snowball and, let's just say, those people are no longer on the forum/BoB but behind bars.

Edited by wayjen

SProducts    10
SProducts
I think BoB management needs to get involved here. Advertising something that is in stock in order to generate sales, when the seller knows he does not have the item, is illegal and should be addressed seriously.

When I went overseas for 3 weeks, I closed all 435 listings. To me this was a huge loss, but the loss of clients whom I would not have been able to uphold my shipping terms to, would have been far greater, thus my decision.

Drop shipping also cannot be dictated as the middleman (the seller) is dependant on the supplier. Be honest about what is in stock! An unhappy client will not return. There is an old saying : bad new travels faster than good news. A happy client seldom spreads the word, but an unhappy client states his case to all.

Can I confirm this, I have the item in stock with me. I said to Ronel I can't guarantee he will get the item on Wednesday and since this is for a gift, it would be better for him to get an alternative gift in case te item arrives late. Unfortunately I won't guarantee he will have it on the 7th.

Again, the item is in stock. Ronel wants me to commit to delivering the item on 7th and I won't guarantee and I have mentioned many times about the issues with courier.

Even on the dispatch email I send to buyers after I package and bookout parcels I inform them about the possibilities of delays by couriers in picking up because I have experienced that a lot. I'll rather be upfront than make empty promises, I know my situation and as much as it doesn't happen to other people, well it does in my case. I don't book out a parcel in the morning and get collected the same day, that rarely happens.

Sipho

oaks and acorns    10
oaks and acorns

Hi Sipho,

I have pm'd you the name of the courier service I use - as far as collections go, prompt and on the same day. And most times, even though the parcels are booked budget, they're delivered in record time!

Regards,

Liz

Edited by oaks and acorns

BestBuyOnline    10
BestBuyOnline

@ Liz - thank you for once again doing your best to assist. You have helped me heaps on finding Afrikaans e-books already and your help is always highly appreciated.

However, it would sadly seem that Sipho is just not willing to make any attempt at getting the item delivered timeously. I personally always go the extra mile for my buyers but I guess to each his own.

For the life of me, I still cannot understand why he could not just send the item via Speedservices, seeing that he insists that the item is indeed in his possession.

kyle2    10
kyle2

Hi Sipho, I use Split Second Couriers, they will deliver anything under 1KG overnight to anywhere in SA for R100.00. Might just be worth it to be rid of any bad PR you are getting here.

SProducts    10
SProducts

The question here is Ronel wants the parcel delivered by a certain date, it might be delivered by that date, or earlier or after that. All I said is I cannot guarantee he will get it on that date because I have no control over the courier company.

Will it be fair to Ronel for me to say yes you will get your parcel on Wednesday 7th when I know he might not get it? Will Ronel be satisfied if the item is not dleivered and he can't give it the person who's having a birthday and I knew this could happen but kept it away from him.

I know how things go around me, I thought it was fair to make a cliient aware the parcel might not arrive by that day so they expect the delays.

I am not badmouthing Fastway, I only mentioned an incident that happened as an example to emphasize my point about guarantees. There are many incidents I can mention I've had, the other time I waited about 3 days and the guy told me he had forgot, although he replied to my sms and confirmed he will pick up but he forgot and that's what he said, finish and klaar and I couldn't do anything about it.

To protect myself and the client I make sure I inform them the delivery is dependet on a service provider I can't control and they should expect delays. If a client wants a product on a specific date, I refuse to commit myself there because I can't control that.

I have another client who bought a product I sent by post, its already 3 weeks and they haven't received the parcel and I am going to get a negative rating. Unfortunately I can't control that. The parcel went from Norkem Park to Doornfontein, to Johhanesburg International, was detained there, went to Kempton Park, then to Doornfontein and back to Joburg internation as it was going overseas or another country and then back to Kempton Park. I have to go to Kempton Park, pick it up and have it redirected back to the buyer.

I experience a lot of mishaps, due to that I won't lie and make guarantees that are dependent on somebody else performance.

I stopped using Speed Services after I lost a lot of parcels last year which I had to replace / refund buyers which was my loss. Even when I tried claimed from Speed Services it didn't go anywhere. What's worse all these product were not insured, I wasn't supposed to be reponsible as my terms states I am not responsible for uninsured parcels that get lost. But buyers were complaininh left and right to Bidorbuy and I decided to rather take the losses than have a bad name. I refunded the last buyer right now beginning of February.

To protect myself I had to take this decision.

If Ronel wants the product I can still send it, but not under pressure to deliver on a specific date because I cannot guarantee that. I would say it again, Ronel should get an alternative gift in case this is delayed.

Sipho

Jongleur    10
Jongleur
@ Liz - thank you for once again doing your best to assist. You have helped me heaps on finding Afrikaans e-books already and your help is always highly appreciated.

However, it would sadly seem that Sipho is just not willing to make any attempt at getting the item delivered timeously. I personally always go the extra mile for my buyers but I guess to each his own.

For the life of me, I still cannot understand why he could not just send the item via Speedservices, seeing that he insists that the item is indeed in his possession.

This seller has neatly made his problems your problem. I would take the earlier advice and get a refund - now, today.

SProducts    10
SProducts
Hi Sipho,

I have pm'd you the name of the courier service I use - as far as collections go, prompt and on the same day. And most times, even though the parcels are booked budget, they're delivered in record time!

Regards,

Liz

I use MDS Collivery for areas where Fastway doesn't deliver. They are prompt, they pick up same day I book on their website and delivery times are specified beforehand and are always done before the specified time. I've never had problems with them.

Fastway is cheaper for the buyer for areas which they service as they pay about 50% less than they would on MDS and other couriers.

Sipho

SProducts    10
SProducts
Hi Sipho, I use Split Second Couriers, they will deliver anything under 1KG overnight to anywhere in SA for R100.00. Might just be worth it to be rid of any bad PR you are getting here.

I use MDS Collivery for areas where Fastway doesn't deliver. They are prompt, they pick up same day I book on their website and delivery times are specified beforehand and are always done before the specified time. I've never had problems with them.

Fastway is cheaper for the buyer for areas which they service as they pay about 50% less than they would on MDS and other couriers.

Sipho