Sign in to follow this  
GoldenOldie

Rubbish advertised in crazy auctions under antiques section

GoldenOldie

Hi All

I am really getting annoyed with the stuff being listed under the crazy auction sections, out of the 9 pages i have just gone through, less than one page is actual antiques/collectables.

There are numerous wire bead insects, new post cards, mugs from checkers, cheap brass ornaments, soda stream bottles & other bottles which they still make today!

Why is all this nonsense being listed here? It is annoying for collectors to have to go through all this rubbish in order to look at listings & bid on items, and in turn it probably diminishes our chance of sales as people get irritated.

Regards

Caroline

StudMuffinsMissus

I agree. It would be so much easier to search this site if only relevant content was listed under the categories. I spend ages looking through listings finding nothing. Difficult for the BoB team to police I suppose. Good for my wallet though :bigsmile:

GoldenOldie

I agree it must be hard to manage all listings, but its ridulous that some genuine things get reported but the masses of "rubbish" get overlooked. If only there was a feature that stopped listings been put in the wrong category. An idea for computer programmers! If anything i would say its bad for my wallet as a seller as people get annoyed & give up sifting through everything and miss the good stuff!

Little Miss Muffet

The only way to stop it is to send a notification through "Spot a problem" The more it is reported the sooner it will be resolved.

I dont think 300-400 items is too many for one of the Bob staff to wade through. If they are unsure of something fine but the obvious can be removed.The Bob staff must have some idea.

My pet hate to have to pay an extra R5 to advertise a vintage doll or toy in the antique category because it belongs in the toy category.

This,while modern cups and saucers go unnoticed in the antique category.Unfair. A vintage doll is a vintage doll and so is a vintage or antique toy.

Recently an old doll on the Wednesday auction in the toy category sold for R11 because no one sees it there.

Vintage toys,clothing and jewellery belong in the antique category.

Reliquiae

I think that part of the problem, and it's actually probably trickier to resolve than it might first appear, is that 'antiques' are linked with 'collectables'.

Whilst antiques can be collectable, very few collectables can genuinely be referred to as antiques.

Perhaps it's worth looking into, somehow, separating and defining two distinct categories?

In the same breath, 'antiques' shouldn't, technically, be able to be listed as 'new' items. Anything 'new' is either retro or reproduction and don't really belong there either.

Comments?