Sign in to follow this  
JORYHA TRADING

Buyer Ratings

JORYHA TRADING    10
JORYHA TRADING

I have noted that buyers who are new to bid or buy are apt to give negative ratings at the turn of a hat! There is no prior communication with the seller. In most cases it is because they have not read and understood the shipping protocol of the seller or have not followed the updates on the new messages. Sellers then face the wrath of immature and incredibly self-centered new buyers

In recent days I have had two such buyers. Buyer 1 places an order on a Thursday and after the order is through only then asks how soon the package will arrive because it is for a birthday gift that same Sunday. We refer to our shipping time frames and when parcel arrives we get a negative for long delay

Buyer 2 places an order which we post off in time only for the parcel to go missing From the mail postal hub in Eastern Cape. Buyer emails and gives us a sentimental story which melts our hearts and we send another package FREE!!

We get a neutral rating for delay. We respond. In retaliation this rating is changed to Negative!!

What is this about?

I maintain my part of this business which I believe is based on sound economic principles that must be fair and just to all parties and that all my sales transactions must satisfy my own conscience. I am not inclined to contest as it leads to a battle of words and is not productive at all.

Is there any other way to upgrade/amend a rating system that will be able to control the wrath, immaturity, power dynamics of especially new buyers?

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Myself being on the receiving end of abuse (ie unfair negative and neutral ratings) from newbies, I would love to have a better option available.

I am sick to death of having to explain my every move to BoB where my rating of the "experience" is removed, but the one that the buyer left sticks to my profile like glue!

Strange how someone "new" has more weight in the ring than the long-standing seller...

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Yeah, and I must keep my mouth Zipped up!!! But I can still say. $$%%#

kyle2    10
kyle2

Sadly it seems that the trend with online platforms like BoB & eBay and the like, the New buyer is the one who seems to Always get the benefit of the doubt lately.

I suppose in a way BoB is slightly better than the others who prevent sellers from rating negatively, although it appears to be going that route.:notrust:

(however, that being said, I did have a case where the reverse was true, a saga involving some diamonds I bought, BoB initially sided with the seller, but eventually I got my money back, took months though)

alloway65    10
alloway65
Myself being on the receiving end of abuse (ie unfair negative and neutral ratings) from newbies, I would love to have a better option available.

I am sick to death of having to explain my every move to BoB where my rating of the "experience" is removed, but the one that the buyer left sticks to my profile like glue!

Strange how someone "new" has more weight in the ring than the long-standing seller...

Have you asked the BoB powers at be for a logical & realistic explanation?

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Unbelievable!! What don't they understand under "Baby Watch" Such a pity to overpay for an item and get a negative.

Usually when I see a buyer overpaid me on an item, I give them extra items to make up for their misfortune!

Sometimes my husband gets cross with me if I do this, but I can't take money which I do not deserve!

qball    11
qball

I disagree. We go to bat for sellers every day... and remove ratings where necessary, based on what is in our view fair.

qball    11
qball
Have you asked the BoB powers at be for a logical & realistic explanation?

The buyer claims the item is poor quality, that relates to the transaction. We can't take that right away from the buyer as that is their opinion of the item. Cali's response, was retaliatory, because of the negative rating received, in plain simple English - a revenge rating. Whilst we do not agree with the buyer's actions, there is very little that led to rating abuse and the comments that were offensive, like "beware of seller" were removed. The buyer concluded their end of the deal and was not satisfied with the product, that is their right and can rate accordingly, no matter what you feel about the buyer personally - they are a paying client/customer of yours.

qball    11
qball
I have noted that buyers who are new to bid or buy are apt to give negative ratings at the turn of a hat! There is no prior communication with the seller. In most cases it is because they have not read and understood the shipping protocol of the seller or have not followed the updates on the new messages. Sellers then face the wrath of immature and incredibly self-centered new buyers

In recent days I have had two such buyers. Buyer 1 places an order on a Thursday and after the order is through only then asks how soon the package will arrive because it is for a birthday gift that same Sunday. We refer to our shipping time frames and when parcel arrives we get a negative for long delay

Buyer 2 places an order which we post off in time only for the parcel to go missing From the mail postal hub in Eastern Cape. Buyer emails and gives us a sentimental story which melts our hearts and we send another package FREE!!

We get a neutral rating for delay. We respond. In retaliation this rating is changed to Negative!!

What is this about?

I maintain my part of this business which I believe is based on sound economic principles that must be fair and just to all parties and that all my sales transactions must satisfy my own conscience. I am not inclined to contest as it leads to a battle of words and is not productive at all.

Is there any other way to upgrade/amend a rating system that will be able to control the wrath, immaturity, power dynamics of especially new buyers?

The same could be said for long standing sellers on the site too... generally speaking and not pointing fingers at anyone in particular.

If the rating system is used properly and maturely by all involved it is very effective. The only flaw in the rating system is humans unfortunately.

Cali Craft and Gems
The buyer claims the item is poor quality, that relates to the transaction. We can't take that right away from the buyer as that is their opinion of the item. Cali's response, was retaliatory, because of the negative rating received, in plain simple English - a revenge rating. Whilst we do not agree with the buyer's actions, there is very little that led to rating abuse and the comments that were offensive, like "beware of seller" were removed. The buyer concluded their end of the deal and was not satisfied with the product, that is their right and can rate accordingly, no matter what you feel about the buyer personally - they are a paying client/customer of yours.

Whilst I understand exactly where Cuan is coming from, the point to be noted in this particular case is that the ring is NOT poor quality - actually an expensive item that I let go basically at cost! There was a batch of about 10 items that I had on the Christmas promotions and simply relisted them at the original prices while we were in the middle of the move. I have however requested the buyer to send the item back in line with our returns policy for inspection seeing that she flat-out refused to accept my offer of having the ring inspected and repaired at a jeweller in her area at my cost. As mentioned to the buyer, if it has been discovered that the ring has been damaged (ie knocked), then it will be sent back to her "as is" and the refund offer will be null and void - as per our listings we will not be held responsibile for the buyers' negligence.

This matter will be "open" until the ring has been inspected. I will keep in contact with the BoB office in this regard as I feel the real story is still to make it's appearance - ultimately I do not sell "poor quality" items!

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I have said this time and time again. If this ring was purchased at i.e. Sterns the buyer would have 1 option, to return the ring to the supplier if they have a return policy.

There is no rating button to press,which is used indiscriminately by buyers who love to take their frustrations out on the sellers.

Cali has a refund policy so why does the buyer react immaturely instead of approaching the seller to try and sort it out amicably.

Nevertheless,it is probably a nightmare for Bob staff to have to listen to buyer and sellers disputes concerning ratings .

There again I will only approach Bob if all else fails.

Edited by geewhizz

Cali Craft and Gems

In reply to Geewhiz's statements - at no stage did the buyer indicate that she wanted to return the ring or ask how this matter could be resolved. She merely sent me an email with the pic stating that the stone had "fallen out". I replied with a solution (in her favour of course), and all hell broke loose!

voldermort    10
voldermort

Maybe I have lost the plot here but surely the rating system should work thus.......if a buyer purchases an item from me and pays promptly I immediately rate them positive, they have after all done exactly what they were meant to do......I do not understand sellers who wait first for buyers to rate them before giving a rating similarly if I give a positive rating and get a negative rating in return - to my way of thinking even though the buyer has rated me negative they still paid promptly etc therefore the positive rating I initially gave them should still stand & should not be altered?

Obviously if it is a ridiculous/defamatory negative rating I would ask BoB for help in removing/editing such a rating however I have found that the majority of buyers, whether they are new buyers or not, (touch wood) are as reluctant to give a negative rating as the sellers are to receive them.

Also too I would imagine when dealing with hundreds of buyers you are bound now and again to find a misery mixed in somewhere - as mrmouse always says - cut your losses & smile & wave.

Seems to me that keeping/trying to keep 100% positive ratings has become far more important than it should be, especially once again when selling on a large scale & dealing with many buyers - there is absolutely no shame in having a few neutrals or negatives, all it proves is that we are all sitting in the human boat together.

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I disagree. Why should anyone sit with a negative rating they do not deserve.

I do not change a positive rating but will do so if my overall experiance becomes a negative experiance.

Cali Craft and Gems

That is precisely what I did and my rating of the buyer was removed! Totally unfair as the rating is based on the entire experience, not just whether the buyer paid or not! (in my current case, the buyer paid, but threatened and abused me when I gave her a viable solution to her "issue" where she would benefit thus resulting in me being stressed out and upset by her "words".)

voldermort    10
voldermort
I disagree. Why should anyone sit with a negative rating they do not deserve.

Which is exactly what I said if you read my post correctly - if the negative is unfounded, ridiculous or defamatory I would ask BoB to assist in removing/editing it however if the buyer finds me rude/finds my item to be not of the quality I advertised it/finds it took me a few weeks to post the item why on earth should BoB remove the negative rating?

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

I totally agree with you Geewizz.The sellers should also be informed with what kind of buyers they are dealing!

Some buyers, do not understand the importancy of a rating given to sellers.

voldermort    10
voldermort

This is one point I am standing my ground on, we are not marrying the buyers therefore we don't need to know what kind of people they are, if they pay promptly they have abided by their side of the deal and quite frankly I really don't care what kind of people they are - they deserve their positive rating for prompt payment. If I am given a negative rating in return it does not alter the fact that they did what they needed to do - if they are not happy with the item received surely they have the right to say this?

The rating system from the sellers side is for payment received in time, what else could it possibly be, could a seller give a negative saying I am not happy with payment received within hours of item closed??

If buyer does not abide by your terms of payment then give your negatives - that is the sellers privilege.

The buyer, being the buyer, has the privilege of rating on item received (quality etc) & period within which item was posted - changing your rating after having given a positive is quite simply rating abuse, so too is waiting for buyer to rate you first, and if receiving a negative, giving one back in return for no good reason.

qball    11
qball

Sellers should only rate buyers on promptness of payment, nothing else should really matter. Being retaliatory is not the way to go. You have an opportunity to respond civilly, professionally and fatcually on the negative rating. Calling a buyer immature is also not the way to go. These are YOUR customers.

Edited by qball

JORYHA TRADING    10
JORYHA TRADING

I agree with Voldermort that when a buyer pays within your time frame that a positive rating is due to that buyer.

Unfortunately, you do get the buyer who will rate you negative for an item that is of good quality , as others have rated it before, but in their opinion the item does not meet "their" expectation. Even if you offer a refund and request a return of the item, the negative still persists, as in two of my previous sales. Since the time frame for SNC expired I was not able to have the negatives removed.

I am not stating that all negatives are undeserved. At times the negative ratings given is an indicator to a seller to up their game, Nd I accept it as such. I just wish it were that easy as Voldermort says, take it and move on.

These negative ratings ultimately become part of an opinion poll used by other buyers to pass judgement on the ethics or character of the seller!

In my understanding, I know that you should not take a negative rating personally, since it is based on one persons experience and perspective. It does not define the seller as I understand, is what Voldermort is referring to and I agree.

As sellers we are given our reputations and therefore a reputation does not define you. What remains important is that as a seller I remain ethical in all my dealings with all buyers and that I continue to strive to deliver a good service based on buyer expectation. This being said... I need to work hard and learn to grow a thick skin in the process!

Cali Craft and Gems

Despite what Cuan stated regarding the "retaliation or revenge ratings" issued by sellers to the buyers, there are many sellers who do this almost daily and yet their ratings of the buyers are not removed! What applies to one should apply to all - not just certain sellers!

qball    11
qball

Quite simply because we do not and cannot monitor each and every rating given on a daily basis. You brought this to our attention and we looked at it, and took the steps we felt appropriate. If anyone is not happy with a rating, trust me, they generally report it to us and we act accordingly and if we do see something like this on our "travels" around the site, we do act upon it. You are the one that kicked up a fuss about this in public and attracted attention to it... you may think this to be unfair, but this was your customer, regardless of the way they carried on, you should remain professional and civil and take the higher road.

brad112    10
brad112

I have found that when a buyer has an issue of any kind it is best not to reply with a solution, although it is always your best intention to offer a easy solution buyers always seem to take it the wrong way because it is almost as though you are telling them what is best. My first response is always; "how would you like me to resolve the problem to your satisfaction" then if reasonable I take it from their. But I do agree buyers should only be ale to rate negatively after all else fails.

JORYHA TRADING    10
JORYHA TRADING

Well said, Brad112. I agree and will follow your example. Now perhaps this is what we should be doing. Mentoring each other as sellers and buyers through the forum!