Sign in to follow this  
Cold Sea

Decimal Day

Cold Sea

A bit of useless info.

South Africa went onto a Decimal system on 14 February 1961.

Australia changed on 14 February 1966.

Britain changed on the 15th February 1971.

All of these happened during the month of February. Coincidence, obviously not. I was wondering whether anyone knows why, or maybe hazard a guess.

TS Ron

Could it be that the tax year ends in February that is the reason they would change it in February to be ready for the new tax year in March?

Cold Sea

Hi TS Ron,

There were a couple of reasons for this specific time, one of which is that it was a reasonable time before the year-end for Government. So, yes that would have been one of the considerations, but not the main.

lilythepink
A bit of useless info.

All of these happened during the month of February. Coincidence, obviously not. I was wondering whether anyone knows why, or maybe hazard a guess.

I thought SA only went decimal on 31st May 1961 - the day the Republic became "official". (Were the coins released before that date?)

EWAAN Galleries

Veldpond Day or Decimal Day?

A bit of useless info.

Hi

See same Veldpond sold twice on auction on bid or buy:

15 February 2011 - R37800-00 Graded Coins - Look @@@ 1902 ZAR Veldpond NGC XF Details @@@ Ultra Rare @@@ Stunning @@@ R1 Start was sold for R37,800.00 on 15 Feb at 14:02 by EWAAN Galleries in Johannesburg (ID:31992953)

and the exact same coin consigned back to us for auction.

14 February 2012 - R42755-00 Graded Coins - 1902 ZAR Veldpond NGC XF Details ### Ultra Rare ### Most Wanted ZAR Coin ### R1 Start was sold for R42,755.00 on 14 Feb at 14:00 by EWAAN Galleries in Johannesburg (ID:56512063)

What a coincidence.....

Veldpond Day or Valentines Day as both winning bids were placed on Valentines Day.... :)

Pinkx

Decimal Day

A bit of useless info.

Answer: February is the quietest time of the year for banks, shops and transport organisations - see Decimal Day, Wikipedia.

Is it then a coincidence that Valentines day is celebrated in February.

EWAAN Galleries
Answer: February is the quietest time of the year for banks, shops and transport organisations - see Decimal Day, Wikipedia.

Still almost a 15% in price from last year :)

Cold Sea

Dead right Pinkx. Besides the financial year-end and lull in trade, other considerations for the South African model were:

The start of the school year.

The long holidays would be over.

The month end accounts would have been sent out and most of these paid by then (most people paid their accounts accounts on time then :grin:)

A long weekend was declared to allow for the change over.

I'm not sure whether Valentines day was chosen for this time of year because of the lull in trade, but a Veldpond instead of a chocolate coin in a gold wrapper as a Valentines gift, would make me fall head over heals in love all over again (Bash.., that was my wife hitting me over the head).

Edited by Cold Sea