Sign in to follow this  
Cali Craft and Gems

Wood travel boxes for pets

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

Does anyone have spare travel boxes that they no longer require? My mom is moving soon and has to relocate her colony of feral cats - all 29 of them! She has been struggling to get boxes - when she moved the first time shortly after my dad passed away she managed to hire a few boxes from a cattery and they still ripped her off by charging an additional R1200 from what was quoted!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

If she's moving locally (within PE, I mean) perhaps the Animal Welfare Society or The Cat Society(?) would be prepared to assist?

Otherwise, there is the EP Cat Club and their member breeders. Someone must be kind enough to assist. (If you need contact info for the EP Cat Club, please PM me!)

Cali Craft and Gems

Thanks Lily, but she needs a large number for "keeps". She and gran will be staying over at our place soon for a few days whilst they scout the area (up to Riversdale) for a place of their own. Gran's townhouse was finally sold and signed for earlier this week so now they have to look for a new house... I'd still love to know how mom is planning on moving all those cats considering our move with just 4 was a handful enough!

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

Is there not a tranquilizer for the cats that the vet could supply while the cats are being transported?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

It's actually proven that tranquillizers do more harm than good to a cat which is being transported (whether by vehicle or by plane). They become totally disorientated and this distresses them so much that they scratch at the bars of the cage, ripping their nails out in the process. They also howl more loudly than they might otherwise do and become quite frantic.

Dogs can be tranquillized. Cats need to be anaesthetized and no vet in his/her right mind would anaesthetize a cat for travel!

Cali Craft and Gems

My mom has a little Bantam bakkie with a canopy and she has had bars fitted to the sliding windows for 'security' when transporting animals.

She brought our cats through from PE to Oudtshoorn for us and made the back as comfy and 'homely' as possible - layers of cardboard for soundproofing, then a fluffy carpet, large waterbowls (within a "saucer" of sorts for spillage), food, litter trays, sleeping boxes, continental pillows, blankets, etc and stacks of catnip! The two older ones slept most of the way, the youngest lay across my mom's lap and only KitKat stressed out a bit, but she is a timid / edgy kitty anyway.

Mom got to the new house before us and the cats were left in the bakkie whilst the furniture was being offloaded and whilst there was still too much activity (parked in deep shade with open windows). Brought the cats in one by one later that afternoon and within 48 hours they had settled in like they had been here forever!

Mom's bunch will be a different story though as they are not as laid back as our crowd! I remember when my mom moved into PE from Blue Horizon Bay. We managed to get all the cats into boxes into the back of hubby's work bakkie and covered the lot with blankets to keep them calm - this was late evening just before sundown. Only one cat gave my mom hassles and we could not trap him - he was after all a true wild bush cat still at that stage, although indoors. The vet came around and gave him three (!) tranquilizers and they did not have any effect on him! After about a week of mom going back to the old house every day to feed him did she manage to trap him and bring him to the enclosure. We were considering having to put him to sleep if he didn't settle in, but within a few hours he was happy and settled so at least the "alternative" route was not followed. BTW - Honey (the wild cat) is now content as ever in the cage and allows you to stroke him - on his terms of course!

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
It's actually proven that tranquillizers do more harm than good to a cat which is being transported (whether by vehicle or by plane). They become totally disorientated and this distresses them so much that they scratch at the bars of the cage, ripping their nails out in the process. They also howl more loudly than they might otherwise do and become quite frantic.

Dogs can be tranquillized. Cats need to be anaesthetized and no vet in his/her right mind would anaesthetize a cat for travel!

I cant agree with you more Lily, tranquilisers totally stress the cats out. I am not too sure about dogs either as when we moved our dogs we gave them tranquilisers, and they became extremely irritable and agressive even in their docile state. It's the only time my own dog attacked me!

mellowred    10
mellowred

Have you considered using laundry baskets? The hard plastic type with large holes and lids. Perhaps two cats per basket depending on the size, or get some stackable baskets and line the bottoms with something waterproof.

The Crazy Store sells various sizes and shapes and they are reasonably priced.

We once had to move with 4 cats and only had one cat transport box. We used laundry baskets for two of the cats and it worked pretty well.

Pickle Bearies    10
Pickle Bearies

Hi, The plastic ware house in Port Elizabeth has a number of plastic containers in various shapes and sizes, with those large holes such as for laundry baskets. Perhaps these could be turned into comfy cat transport boxes. I do have one pet travel box but as it was for my saint Bernard I think it might be a little to big for the cats!

svw    10
svw

Alternative Travel Crates for Cats

Was in a similar situation some time back - my hubby got hold of some milk crates and made lids out of marine ply [the thicker one - it doesn't bend] - if you have a handyman around he should be able to figure out a way of lacing them to the top of the crate [cable ties should do the trick] - then just put a layer of newspaper on the bottom and a blanket on top of that works really well - the crates can also be stacked one on top of the other.