Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
windrider

A gold by any other name is not gold

19 posts in this topic

I wanted to ask the jewellery sellers on the forum if they are allowed to advertise gold-plated items under the gold subcategory. I'd been looking for a gold chain and am very disappointed to find only gold-plated, gold-filled and gold-fusion items. In my admittedly limited understanding, a gold chain is a solid gold chain 9k, 10k, etc.

I don't care about gold fusion or gold plated items, they imho should NOT be advertised as gold items. If I am searching for gold items I look for solid gold, not a brass item with a thin layer of gold on top.

Solid gold necklace with a thin layer of brass:toung:

search solid gold and then click on jewelry-necklace section

I was hoping to get it on auction, alas. So far the prices I saw when I did that were higher than my local jewellery shop. I still think it's wrong to advertise gold-plated items under the gold category.

Gold plated items should be advertised under "other". If they are listed under the gold section, it should be genuine gold. If not, please report to community watch.

I agree wholeheartedly!

I've lost track on how many times I've gone to a listing because it was something I liked only to discover (if reading the very small print) that it was only plated!

I sell gold , label it 9ct, 18ct etc. then in the small print I refer to it as 18ct gold plated.

This is to ensure you never buy from me again.:sneaky:

Ask the seller for the weight of the chain in grams and as one knows the current price of gold in US$, the US$/Rand ROE, the specified carat of the chain being sold, therefor it is a simple calculation to work out the current price of the actual "pure" gold in the chain, multiply the Rand price by two add VAT and this will give you an indication of what the chain should cost!!!!

Alloway we are discussing gold plated items listed as gold. You cant weigh a gold plated item according to the gold weight.It is brass or whatever metal coated with gold.

I have to sincerely apologize to windrider. I have been selling on BOB 4 the past 4 yrs. I've fallen into tho COPY habit! BOB have since added the OTHER option though (which in my mind I do not sell a OTHER COLOR BUT GOLD).

My error should AT LEAST TRY TO UPDATE my listings to OTHER, in order to make it EASIER FOR THE BUYERS "NOT TO READ THE DESCRIPTION".....

I was hoping to get it on auction, alas. So far the prices I saw when I did that were higher than my local jewellery shop. I still think it's wrong to advertise gold-plated items under the gold category.

Sorry for interrupting your thread windrider. What is your exact problem then? The "higher than your local jewellery shop" price , or the

Gold colored items under other or gold or under whatever or under wherever. Solid gold is solid gold. Gold coated is Gold coated. Nothing more, nothing less!

Your local jewelers gold is windfilled! I am sure the BOB Sellers gold are solid! Check on the weight of the items.

Sorry J. windrider, I withdraw my words, at least some of it.:smile1:

Edited by MiemsJewels

@MiemsJewels

My problem that I indicated is that gold-plated are advertised as gold, which can be irritating if you're are looking for solid gold items, for example chains. Gold-plated items are more numerous, thus making the search more time-consuming.

"Your local jewelers gold is windfilled!" That's a) not sure of meaning of windfilled in this case b) accusing a shop you had never been to before of fraud c)a hostile statement

Perhaps I should rephrase point c), Your post is very much on the hostile side, did I perhaps offend you in some way?

As for auction being cheaper than "Buy Now", when a 9K chain is sold in the local mall's branch of American Swiss for R1200 and you see something similar(in terms of Karat, length and width) on Bob for R4500 odd, one begins to wonder.

Alloway we are discussing gold plated items listed as gold. You cant weigh a gold plated item according to the gold weight.It is brass or whatever metal coated with gold.

The original poster was looking for a gold chain not a gold plated chain, thus my post just gave an indication as to what the beneficiated gold value would be for a chain of a certain weight! Nowhere did I mention gold plated!

Weight information is a good idea, thank you. I just wish it was as easy as asking if it solid gold and paying a bit less than the shops and knowing I could trust the seller 100%.

Weight information is a good idea, thank you. I just wish it was as easy as asking if it solid gold and paying a bit less than the shops and knowing I could trust the seller 100%.

This is a difficult one...I personally would not buy a gold chain on auction.

@ Windrider. What I mean by "windfilled" the gold is hollow inside! It is not solid, but filled with wind. air, whatever. :thinking:

"Your local jewelers gold is windfilled!" That's a) not sure of meaning of windfilled in this case b) accusing a shop you had never been to before of fraud c)a hostile statement

@ Windrider. By saying "ÿour" local jeweler I did not mean YOURS. I mean some of the local Jewellers. Some of the well known jewelers gold are definitly hollow inside. If it was not hollow, you would have paid much more than R1200. I Paid for SOLID ( I hope) Gold huggies earrings, not even large ones. To be honest, the weight in gram.... .8 grams R700. The jewelers? American Swiss!

This earrings for instance is hollow inside, but it gives the illussion of SOLID!

58f5a72e45436_hollowgold.jpg.90df72b7a1fb0f6b9f9f84e9142f8c20.jpg

Edited by MiemsJewels

I have genuine 9ct yellow and gold chains on auction which I purchase from a wholesaler in Jhb & CT and can honestly say that it is authentic.

I too only use reputable suppliers for my solid gold jewellery (CT based) so I know their products are genuine through and through! The only reason I don't stock it that often is that I find that Sterling Silver products tend to sell better due to their pricing.

The problem is still not being addressed. There are too many sellers listing "fake gold" jewellery under the GOLD section. End of story. It has to stop.

I completely agree with you Asha Craft. Some sellers do state it correctly at least, but there are some that believe gold fusion is the same as solid gold.