Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
AGV Gems

Precious Stones and Metals now a prohibited item at Post Office (No Insurance)???

15 posts in this topic

I have just been informed that Precious Stones and Metals are a prohibited item to send at Post Office after trying to claim insurance on a stolen item.

Needless to say, they will not be paying any insurance claims!! I have confirmed it by calling Customer Services.

Surely the fact that they allowed you to insire the items in the first place means they accepted responsibility for them!

That is also why I never state what is in the parcel - always say it is "Samples" and if anyone does ask, I say beads or rocks - they never question what 'type' of rock! (and believe me the SAPO branch in a small town is strict and finicky - 100% change in the way I have to send parcels!)

Surely the fact that they allowed you to insire the items in the first place means they accepted responsibility for them!

They Never knew what was in my packages until I had to make an enquiry on the stolen item. I have always stated the contents as: Gift

I never had problems doing it that way till now.

They gave me a copy of the pages of the Memo they received about the prohibited items as well.

I can still ship the stones via Post Office, but they will not be liable for losses.

Edited by AGV Gems
Spelling and added

The post office does not insure parcels which contain jewelery. There is a full list of items which they will not insure, hence I do not state the contents, although I do charge insurance as I've been successful with 2 claims before. Best is to obtain a list of "forbidden items" and list your contents accordingly.

I wonder how they define 'precious stones'.

Traditionally that designation only covered diamonds, sapphires, rubies and emeralds.

I wonder how they define 'precious stones'.

Traditionally that designation only covered diamonds, sapphires, rubies and emeralds.

Very interesting, I have just Googled the definition for semi precious stones:

[h=5]Web definitions[/h]

• (semi-precious stone) Any stone suitable for use in jewelry that is not a diamond, ruby, sapphire, or emerald.

Does their policy cover so-called semi-precious stones too?

Could you not possibly claim as 'ornaments' or 'decorative mineral samples' or something similar if your stones are not specifically mentioned?

The memo mentions Precious Stones and Metals. It says nothing about semi-precious.

'decorative mineral samples' I'll give this a try.

:wtf: then I can insure it under venemous snakes, spiders, anything they will keep their dirty hands off!!

On the subject of "rocks" - check out the below image! (and you thought us "rock" dealers had trouble with the post office...)

inertia.jpg.08d44da0c5fed2eaabe2d8eb3bd4d86b.jpg

Oh dear! That rock was definitely not a semi-precious stone!

I just mark all my items "personal effects" whether insured parcel or not. Not had any problems so far, touch wood. (But, then, our staff in our Grahamstown PO are all on the ball and need medals for their service and friendliness!)

Or the notation.........Would be thieves please note that opening this package will be hard work!!!!

The post office does not insure parcels which contain jewelery. There is a full list of items which they will not insure, hence I do not state the contents, although I do charge insurance as I've been successful with 2 claims before. Best is to obtain a list of "forbidden items" and list your contents accordingly.

But how can we list accordingly when for example, what I send is indeed jewellery? Should I just no longer insure any parcels and just take the risk... I also mark my items "gifts" and just recently had my first ever claim of not one but TWO parcels which went missing at Witspos the same day. I have filed the claims as contents being necklace and charm - what are the chances that I am going to get my credit back now? :worried:

What is the use of the post office then, anyway? Might as well get into my bakkie and deliver my parcels personally! It would be like a working holiday!