Sign in to follow this  
Ann van Zyl

Buying goods from China

Ann van Zyl    10
Ann van Zyl

I think buyers should be made aware of hidden costs when things come from China or Hong Kong, I won an auction for the amount of R1.00 this has now cost me over R450.00 Wow,not what I was expecting, and before I knew about this ordered an e-book with shipping R1000.00 now I am sitting in suspence waiting to see what these import charges are going to be. Sorry guys but I will definatly not be being for the east again:notrust::notrust::notrust:

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Welcome to the forum Ann. Allways check on the sellers shipping fees before you bid.

Regards

Miems

qball    10
qball

Unfortunately goods that are imported are generally more expensive to ship, depending on the shipping method. Please ensure you read the seller's description and their Shipping and Payment tabs, which outlines the costs. Please also note, import duties and customs fees are for your account, and generally seller's will alert you to this either in their description or their shipping option area.

Thank you.

Katlego001    10
Katlego001

I fully agree. It's one thing to have something in print and say "buyers must read"... It's another thing to have it elegantly hidden that people overlook it.

If there was nothing wrong about hidding these costs, then it would be openly displayed that "the final amount for the bid is Rx" right before clicking "bid", i bet then that there'd be fewer bids but more quality buyers.

Some of us can't help but feel cheated by this oh-so-not-fineprint/hidden-exposed charges

moodTime    10
moodTime

Buyers must be very careful and aware when buying from sellers that send goods directly from China. There will always be additional import costs which the seller wont be able to disclose, import duties are so random it is actually scary. SA Customs seem to do what they want, they can charge anything from R25 to hundreds of rand, import duties can be as high as 40% of declared value and SA Customs have the power to deem a value if they feel it is too low. They will also charge and additional 14% on top of this for VAT.