Sign in to follow this  
alloway65

South African Crowns 1953 QE II - MS 68.

alloway65

I have just had a batch of South African Crowns Graded, two 1953 QE II Crowns were Graded MS-68, is this a common grade for these Crowns or could they be quite scarce?

coinoisseur

The highest previously graded 1953 5s coins were MS67. These two would now be considered finest known. It would be very difficult to better or equal this grade, but not impossible. So to answer your question about scarcity, although a relatively common coin, but in terms of grading it would be consider a very high grade and would be sought after by many collectors wanting to own finest grade.

Cheers

alloway65
The highest previously graded 1953 5s coins were MS67. These two would now be considered finest known. It would be very difficult to better or equal this grade, but not impossible. So to answer your question about scarcity, although a relatively common coin, but in terms of grading it would be consider a very high grade and would be sought after by many collectors wanting to own finest grade.

Cheers

Many Thanks Anthony, that is very nice to know, your input much appreciated.

Best regards

David

smdevy

As far as I am aware both the NGC & PCGS database is pretty up to date, neither of which have a 1953 MS68 5/- currently listed. Therefore may I ask where did you have these coins graded? There is a 1953 5/- graded by NNC as MS68 for sale on an online coin store currently. Some grading companies are said to be known for grading coins higher than they should be.

Out of all the South Africa crowns (1947-1964) both PCGS and NGC together have only graded a total of 8 coins as MS68 according to their databases.

Edited by smdevy

alloway65
As far as I am aware both the NGC & PCGS database is pretty up to date, neither of which have a 1953 MS68 5/- currently listed. Therefore may I ask where did you have these coins graded? There is a 1953 5/- graded by NNC as MS68 for sale on an online coin store currently. Some grading companies are said to be known for grading coins higher than they should be.

Out of all the South Africa crowns (1947-1964) both PCGS and NGC together have only graded a total of 8 coins as MS68 according to their databases.

These MS-68 1953 Silver Crowns were Graded by SACGS in Cape Town. I am very happy with the service provided and the accuracy of the Grading done by the SACGS.

The Crowns in question are beautiful looking, crisp and clean with no toning whatsoever.

I had 50 coins Graded in January with Grades ranging from XF-40 to PF-70 Ultra Cameo!

I also had two Crowns found to have hairline cracks, one Crown with a weak strike, and one polished Crown!

Pierre_Henri

Only time will tell ...

These MS-68 1953 Silver Crowns were Graded by SACGS in Cape Town. I am very happy with the service provided and the accuracy of the Grading done by the SACGS.

The Crowns in question are beautiful looking, crisp and clean with no toning whatsoever.

I had 50 coins Graded in January with Grades ranging from XF-40 to PF-70 Ultra Cameo!

I also had two Crowns found to have hairline cracks, one Crown with a weak strike, and one polished Crown!

What was the coin that graded PF-70 Ultra Cameo?

jwither

Any potential buyer of an NNC "graded" coin would be better off evaluating it as if it were not "graded" at all. They are not a real grading service. I too have seen some coins in these holders on BoB and I assume that they were previously bought from the one (and only) seller ("power seller" Centiles) who I have seen list them on eBay. I have never bought a coin in these holders but a few members on the NGC Message Boards have commented on them and invariably, they are either overgraded, problem coins or both. Most likely, I would expect that these coins would usually sell for more outside the holder than in it.

alloway65
What was the coin that graded PF-70 Ultra Cameo?

A 1992 R2 Silver Banking & a Mint of Norway One Ounce Silver Mandela/De Klerk Medallion.

alloway65

A 1992 R2 Silver Banking and a Mint of Norway One Ounce Silver Mandela/De Klerk Medallion.

Edited by alloway65