Sign in to follow this  
xina

Metal detecting

xina    10
xina

I discovered this fascinating hobby while going through old posts on this forum and ever since I have been lurking around on various forums to learn more on this hobby. One of my favorite forum to read is the "Friendly metal detecting forums"and recantly the following topic came up which I thought I'd share here as they have made a reference to Pierre.

South African hunting: tons of coins, no gold or silver - Friendly Metal Detecting Forums

Regards

Hendrik

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

There are several of us on the forum who are amateur metal detectors and there are other threads about this on the forum.

Wayne - what was the last thing you found?

Everyone else, let's hear from you!

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

I'm buying me on of those detectors this year, gonna become....VORTECHZ TREASURE HUNTER!:razz:

Nice beaches here in KZN to explore.

What affordable detectors can you get to pick up gold and silver, nickel, copper,brass,iron, steel...or do all of them detect the same?

Don't want to Trap around on the beach and miss a Gold coin or sumthing hehe.

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
I'm buying me on of those detectors this year, gonna become....VORTECHZ TREASURE HUNTER!:razz:

Nice beaches here in KZN to explore.

What affordable detectors can you get to pick up gold and silver, nickel, copper,brass,iron, steel...or do all of them detect the same?

Don't want to Trap around on the beach and miss a Gold coin or sumthing hehe.

Hope you find my cellphone too! The sea stole it from me in 2001 ! :wink:

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

I also want one! We are planning to explore this region back to front, and have heard that it is great fun or a good idea to explore areas where there were once battles fought all those years ago. Apparently somewhere in the Free State / Northern Cape someone discovered quite a "treasure" of interesting historic artefacts on top of a hill which had been a previous battlefield.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

:razz:Haha, just kidding i actually have 2 already. Garrett GTI 1500 and a cheapo for my GF

My brother is a chemical engineer in the states, organized one for me and mrs. cheap cheap.

If i can only find the time to use it though.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

We got our one cheaply from the UK, brand new through an e-bay seller, for a third of the price they are going for in SA. Thing is, whenever I want to use it, I have to buy new batteries.

republikein    10
republikein
I also want one! We are planning to explore this region back to front, and have heard that it is great fun or a good idea to explore areas where there were once battles fought all those years ago. Apparently somewhere in the Free State / Northern Cape someone discovered quite a "treasure" of interesting historic artefacts on top of a hill which had been a previous battlefield.

I just want to know about legal implications if you find "stuff" on a battle field and remove it? Is a battle site not protected area. That being said, I also have once picked up a big piece of scrapnel, etc. from a Northern Cape battle site form the Boere War. A metal detector might help to find much more... That is obviously after getting permission form the farmer who owns the land. If you know the owner it will be OK, but otherwise you will struggle to get permission.

MrAerospace    10
MrAerospace

The legal implications which affect me are that Lily gets me to carry the darn metal detector most of the time!

wayjen    10
wayjen

metal detecting is great and fun, however some spoil sports think that unless you have a R10 000 machine you wont find anything. Do not let them put a damper on things but just go out and have fun. Should you be lucky enough to afford an expensive piece of machinery, then I hope it pays off for you at some stage.

JOHNEL    10
JOHNEL

I have been detecting for the past 6 years and have found just over a 100 gold rings so far.....average between R1000 and R2000 of spendable coins per year as well...best find a .51ct diamond last year !!!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I think you should offer us lessons, JOHNEL! (I'll try and persuade MrAerospace to carry your detector as well - but I'm not holding my breath!)

xina    10
xina

I am looking at getting an ACE 250 as it seems like the best machine to start with and its price is fairly reasonable. I have already located a site with some old boer war trenches and camps sites on private property just outside of Pretoria but I still need a detector.

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL
I have been detecting for the past 6 years and have found just over a 100 gold rings so far.....average between R1000 and R2000 of spendable coins per year as well...best find a .51ct diamond last year !!!

That metal detector has been paid for a 100 times over, my goodness....I'm hitting the beach this weekend.

Nice man, I always wanted to Treasurehunt old Boer War sites or Griquatown etc with my MD, but i suppose that has been done by 1000's of ppl already:huh:

Wonder where those Kruger millions are buried...?

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Metal Detecting

The last time I responded to a metal detecting thread on the Bid-or-Buy Coin-forum, my nose was almost bitten off.

I then advised that metal detecting is not really a lazy, laid back, summer-so-nothing–else–to-do hobby (but obviously it can be – like almost everything else that gives you pleasure) but a serious pastime that, like golf, begs for some serious investment before you can expect to reap any serious rewards.

So I am very apprehensive to comment on this thread ...

But let me tell you a very recent happy ending story

Read here ...

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/msg/1326278493.html

...and then here – (check the close dates of the two postings) and guess what the ring eventually sold for...

http://members.boardhost.com/Tom1/msg/1326706335.html

Kind regards

Pierre

xina    10
xina

Thanks for the links Pierre.

I love the reading the US forums about detecting for coins and I bet the thrill of finding "that one special" coin must be the best feeling in the world.

I am however a bit worried that the hobby might become a bit dull since I stay in Gauteng and that good hunting sites might be hard to come by and if we have to compare our country's history with that of Europe and the US then the amount of "stuff" to be detected does not really add up to much especially, the coins as that is what got me interested in the first place.

Regards

Hendrik

wayjen    10
wayjen

Some of the american "treasure hunters" go out to their local parks during lunchtime to look for items and some actually find stuff. If we try that we will get beggars asking us for money.

unicoin    10
unicoin

Xina, I have the exact metal detector which you are talking about. Just posted under other hobbies, if you are interested.

In excellant condition near about new.

Regards

Unicoin

http://www.bidorbuy.co.za/item/57095885/Garrett_ACE250_High_Performance_Metal_Detector_almost_new_condition.html

Thank you Quan, not so good with these stuff.

Edited by unicoin
Inserted link

Cold Sea    0
Cold Sea

Swingers are far out

Photo of me detecting recently :bigsmile:

moonspectsm.jpg.281c43816276e26ab769193e8fea4982.jpg

So little time, so much to do.

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

One big step for man ...

Photo of me detecting recently :bigsmile:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2545[/ATTACH]

So little time, so much to do.

One big step for man, one giant leap for pull tabs ...

Cold Sea    0
Cold Sea
One big step for man, one giant leap for pull tabs ...

It won't surprise me if it's the first thing you find

xina    10
xina
Some of the american "treasure hunters" go out to their local parks during lunchtime to look for items and some actually find stuff. If we try that we will get beggars asking us for money.

Thanks but the only hunting I am currently doing is job hunting:bigsmile:

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Good luck, xina. Hope a lucrative, fulfilling job comes your way quickly!

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

History of Metal Detecting in SA ...

This post will give those of you who are interested in the history of metal detecting in South Africa a fairly good view.

The referral to "SA Whites" in the first few pictures are actually the Whites make of the USA metal detector range (as opposed to Fisher, Garrett or the Ozzie Minelab makes) and is not to be taken as a racist picture

Lukas and I have been treasure hunting all over the world for many years and he has done so much for our hobby that I salute him ...

International Metal Detecting Group : At last - The museum !......leave every thing and enjoy !

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

What a passion this man has! Absolutely remarkable.