Sign in to follow this  
bender2008

PayPal Refunds are not refunds _ or are they

bender2008    10
bender2008

Anyone have an answer please.

After a painful saga under thread - Technopro - sellers and their unadvertised shipping prices - a Paypal claim deadline was responded to. I am happy to say we got some action.

My query now, PayPal claims Technopro refunded the cancelled order...but the refund in the account is 11 percent short. Off the almost R7000 promptly paid that’s a lot of missing refund for an order price increase that was not accepted.

Naturally a bank chargeback is the way to resolve this, but is this a known issue or is the seller not refunding the total?

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore

I did not read the thread referred to, so I am 'one oar short of rowing the boat', but perhaps this will help (I am 'thinking' PayPal is the same whether in SA or the USA or... although I cannot 'carve this in stone').

If monies are paid via PayPal within the same Country, the recipient is charged a fee (based on a 'stair-step' scale) to receive the monies, unless the monies are a 'gift'. Example: If Joe Doe, residing in, let's say, Michigan, were to send me x-number of dollars, a fee to receive the monies would be deducted from the total received. If, however, I were to receive monies from a family member or friend as a 'gift', no fee would be deducted.

If it is a cross-border payment, PayPal charges the recipient a percentage of the monies received (based on a 'stair-step' scale) as well as a cross-border fee. They also charge a fee / percentage for currency exchange. If, for example, somone residing in SA sends me monies, those fees are are deducted from the monies received.

I am not sure of the fees for 'gifts' sent from outside the USA, but I recently sent monies to SA as a 'gift' (birthday for a friend) and I had to choose, check a box, whether I would pay the cross-border and currency exchange fees or have the recipient pay those fees out of the monies received. (I paid the fees.)

Two months ago, or thereabouts, a Buyer bid/won an auction. After 7-days, a SNC was filed. No response. Transaction, for all intents and purposes, completed. A few days short of a month later, Buyer decided to remit payment...but only for her bid/win amount of R25. (Uh, H-E-L-L-O...payment due 3-days, payment not received, terms not met, payment, as noted in SNC will NOT be accepted - SNC complete.)

I reverted the monies, but the fees charged me to receive the monies: PayPal fee, cross-border fee, currency exchange fee were NOT refunded to Buyer AND I was charged a fee to revert the monies, so I was 'belly up' (in the red) after reverting the monies. (Buyer was also charged fees to receive the reverted monies...received an email expressing her 'displeasure'.)

I would not be so bold to say this is what happened with respect to you and the Seller, just that it 'may' explain the 'difference' between monies paid and monies reverted.

Ruthie

Edited by Not1CentMore

bender2008    10
bender2008

Thank you for your detailed reply, I do wonder what the real picture was/is.

Paypal have indicated that it has been a full refund (11% off that is) and will respond with which portion of the 11% refund fat the seller gained (transferred) and Paypal gained (charged).

This Paypal business is clearly only good from one side of the fence unless you transact internationally. - even than a charge back is less than this 11% loss on a poorly run transaction.

bender2008    10
bender2008

An update for you guys, the difference has been resolved through the bank charge back (dispute) process.