Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cold Sea

Are coin collectors crazy?

4 posts in this topic

This is a cut, paste, and self job.

I’ve read that coin collecting was a blend of acquisitiveness, intellectual curiosity, a desire to possess and organize tangible objects, perhaps an attempt at immortality, and a certain amount of showing off.

Reading and posting on the forum makes me want to put a face to the poster, much like putting a face to the telephone voice. It made me wonder whether a collection reflects a collector’s personality type. (Why I even attempt this subject is beyond me, but never mind). For instance:

Casual collector – Polite, overly so to the point (only at first?)

Type collector – obsessive/compulsive

Bullion collector – fearful

Cherrypickers – self confident or maybe grandiose, even narcissistic

We can add lots more (and I hope others do), but what I do know is that coin collectors do not have the personality of a stone! They're not dull, boring, closed minded individuals.

The reason why one would choose to collect coins is truly profound. Why on earth would somebody pay thousands of Rands for a fifty cent piece.

Answer? We're nuts. However, it reminds me that you only become a numismatist when the joy of learning overtakes the joy of acquiring and possessing.

This is a cut, paste, and self job.

I’ve read that coin collecting was a blend of acquisitiveness, intellectual curiosity, a desire to possess and organize tangible objects, perhaps an attempt at immortality, and a certain amount of showing off.

Reading and posting on the forum makes me want to put a face to the poster, much like putting a face to the telephone voice. It made me wonder whether a collection reflects a collector’s personality type. (Why I even attempt this subject is beyond me, but never mind). For instance:

Casual collector – Polite, overly so to the point (only at first?)

Type collector – obsessive/compulsive

Bullion collector – fearful

Cherrypickers – self confident or maybe grandiose, even narcissistic

We can add lots more (and I hope others do), but what I do know is that coin collectors do not have the personality of a stone! They're not dull, boring, closed minded individuals.

The reason why one would choose to collect coins is truly profound. Why on earth would somebody pay thousands of Rands for a fifty cent piece.

Answer? We're nuts. However, it reminds me that you only become a numismatist when the joy of learning overtakes the joy of acquiring and possessing.

We like expensive toys - if you want to play with my toys you have to pay my price :)

We like expensive toys - if you want to play with my toys you have to pay my price :)

Ewaan, you sound like my cherrypicker model :)

Mercenary collector-accumulates coins/collections with with no love for coins and the only intention is to break up and sell at a profit.

Ego-t-e-s-t-i-c-l-e numismatic maniac-a collector whose ego is bigger than their collections but do not have the balls to admit it.:rolleyes::wink:

I am a casual collector well on my way to the obsessive/compulsive stage.

Hopefully one day i can become a Grandmaster like EWAAN THE GREY.:razz: