Sign in to follow this  
kebs

Receiving cheque deposits?

kebs    10
kebs

A buyer recently paid for an item - my account shows a cheque deposit.. So 2 questions for anyone who has answers, as I've never received a cheque deposit before.. Firstly, how long does it take to clear? & secondly, does the bank charge the same as they do for cash deposits? I'm with Std bank.. Thanks in advance!

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi kebs

As far as I am aware cheque deposits take 10 working days to clear, which is why I don't accept them.

I'm not sure regarding the deposit fees.

kebs    10
kebs

Thanks! As I said, no-one has ever paid with a cheque before, or asked me, so I'm a bit lost here..

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I dont accept cheques because they take 10 days to clear.

Regarding charges. With Absa if a cheque is made out in your name there is no fee but if it is a cash cheque the charge is the same as a cash deposit.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

I thought that cheque books were no longer in existence I have not heard of anybody paying by cheque for years!

kebs    10
kebs
I thought that cheque books were no longer in existence I have not heard of anybody paying by cheque for years!

Tell me about it! I have a cheque account, but have never had a cheque book! Most places don't accept them anymore anyway.. Think it's time to update my payment options to specify no cheques..

mellowred    10
mellowred

We don't accept cheques at all for business transactions. There is so much fraud about that the banks no longer put immediate clearance on any cheques - unless you have a long standing account and are willing to pay a fee.

People do still want to pay by cheque, but with internet banking available, there is no need for them any-more.

Thanks for the tip about depositing cash cheques GeeWhizz. I would assume that the waiting period still applies though as the cheque still has to go via the system and clear through the payee's account.