Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cali Craft and Gems

Advice given and attitude in return

8 posts in this topic

The following listing caught my attention over the weekend:

Quartz - Large 24,95ct Sparkling Green & Gold Quartz - Crazy R1 Start! was sold for R1.00 on 14 Jan at 22:26 by barrador in Johannesburg (ID:55489631)

The seller stated that the item is natural and according to him / her, their scarcity indicator, this gem is "These are valuable items that may be either scarce or unusual and will seldom be seen on auction".

I sent a message via the Q&A:

"Hi. Just a note of caution - this is not a natural gemstone! It is a hydrothermal gemstone that has been created / altered in a laboratory. CCG"

And the reply received was:

"Hi. Thanks for your interest and contribution, but according to my information this had been enhanced by heat treatment only. But the original substance before treatment was natural quartz (prasiolite & citrine). This is a R1 start item (and quite a beautiful one at that), and I honestly don't believe it justifies any further argument or analytical elaboration."

Assuming that the seller was simply ignorant or arrogant, I sent another comment:

"Hi. While I understand your view, bob sees the matter differently - many sellers have been raked over the coals & as such have been warned against using the word natural in certain gemstone listings (you stand the risk of being blacklisted by management). From a personal note, I've been in the gemstone trade for about 10 years & you don't get the natural mixture of green Amethyst (prasiolite) + Citrine in one stone - this is created using the hydrothermal process. There is only one instance that can occur naturally and that is the Bolivian Ametrine - purple / light yellow - the darker gems are sadly also hydrothermal. There is extensive info available on the internet, or you can refer to the book by SA Gemologist EGL leader Arthur Thomas. I was just wanting to give you a heads-up as to remove the word natural for your own wellbeing, but if you feel that you'd rather take the risk, then the choice is yours. CCG"

So the action taken by the seller with the subsequent reply?:

"Item removed completely... Hope everyone feels better now."

Ultimately if this is the manner in which I get "treated" for giving honest considerate advice, then I do not know! All the seller had to do was remove the word "natural" from the listing as to avoid being caught on the BoB radar but they freak out instead.

I guess one cannot assist everyone... just trying to keep things accurate and safe for all concerned but it was taken the wrong way! What next?

Some people go through life with an attitude such as this seller. My theory at times it is best to permit them to face the music of being black listed etc. You are very considerate Cali.

Edited by TS Ron

After buying a few hundred Gemstones over a couple of years I eventually gave up about three years ago as even "reputable" BoB Gemstone Sellers don't really know what they are selling!

I now give my non Hydrothermal BoB purchases as gifts.

Natural Green & Gold Quarts are so "scarce'', you won't even find it on Google!! LOl:notrust:

I think the seller might just have said "thank you" to you, Cali. Anyway he/she has done the right thing by removing it from BoB, so you have saved some buyer a lot of heartache - take that as your reward, lass! Well done in my book.

Janet, the heat must be getting to you. It's the very rare, newly discovered GREENETRINE !!! :bigsmile:

Could someone tell me how gemstones get crossed with nectarines? lol

Oh Lily, you take a cutting off a gemstone bush, and graft it on the a nectarine tree, of course! Needs lots of water, and polishing...

Of course, when you start spraying it with pesticides, it ceases to be natural - so you must go organic :toung: