Sign in to follow this  
Celebrity Jewels

Momentum for 2009! Gemstone enthusiasts and sellers welcome

Celebrity Jewels

Hello all Gemstone enthusiasts and sellers

May I wish you all a prosperous 2009. I have noticed that this section of the forum has been very quiet of late - we have all been silent but time to get the ball rolling again and educate, assist and advise one another.

If anybody can put forward a new topic or rekindle an old one then lets get the show on the road.....

Regards

Brian

motherearth

Happy New Year Brian... may it be a prosperous one!

Jeff

Celebrity Jewels

Hi Jeff

A prosperous and Happy one to you as well. Catch you on Skype.

Regards

Brian

alloway65

Good day all,

Most of the "old" faithfull contributers (sellers) to this section of the BoB Forum have departed for one reason or another....which is a pity.

From my perspective as relatively new to Gemstones, with the majority of items on BoB their quality/descriptions leave a lot to be desired. I occasionally now buy an item or two and for the most part I am very disappointed and the items are usually returned...this is a hassle. This is why I don't venture to buy from overseas sellers, then if these items are not up to scratch (excuse the pun) then to return the items would be a real mission.

The only BoB seller I really trust at the moment is JJ.

I import coins from the USA and that is normally a drawn out process with customs/duties etc.

All the work previously done on the Forum re the classification and accurate description of gemstomes offered seems to have fallen by the wayside...which is also a pity.

I think a lot of gemstone sellers on BoB have not studied there subject and have minimum knowledge of what they are selling.

Regarding the aspect of Hydrothermals etc this puts extra doubt in ones mind re the purchasing of larger genunine gemstones.

Most sellers just reiterate what there suppliers tell them and have no real idea of what they are selling.

Have a great 2009...it will be a tough one.

Best regards

David

Celebrity Jewels

Hi David

A happy new year to you. Just for the record, I have never had an item returned and have always had very satisfied customers. On the 2 or 3 occasions when a stone arrived chipped, broken or damaged in transit I have told the buyers to keep it and gladly send them a refund/ replacement at my cost.

I could not sourse the quality and variations of stones from within the UK and I am afraid to say that any astute collector needs to look to the overseas markets to buy in.

My experience with customs both as a buyer and seller is very positive and very seldom do I or my customers have to pay anything.

It is a huge pity that some of the regulars have gone but the momentum will hopefully pick up soon. Everybody is still paying off that credit card....lol...

Regards

Brian

alloway65

Hi Brian,

Did not comment on "overseas" suppliers, as I have no experience...will look at your offferings.

Re the customs etc my coins take 5+ weeks to clear even with all the correct paperwork, I usually use Fedex. I pay no duties but lots of other charges.

Another issue from SA if you make an electronic transfer this cost another hundred or two, PayPal I find a pain...I usually pay with my Diners Card then there are no additional charges...just the RoE.

Unlike most I have no debts and funds in cash presently....saw the crash coming well over a year ago....so much for all the highly paid bankers and investment analysts whom have got the world in turmoil.

I am a Liverpudlian and was brought up in Scotland...came here in 1969.

Great if we can get the Gemstone forum up an running again.

Regards

David

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi All,

I have not fallen by the wayside, but have been very involved in trying to get great stock in so that I can list it when time allows.

I've been watching the forum on a daily basis, but have not had the need to respond to personally in the gem thread up to now.

Hopefully I will be able to start listing new goodies soon - and some real beautiful items too...

Kind regards,

Cali Craft (Janet)

motherearth

David and Brian, we all know the problems regarding misleading listings!! , this forum being quiet does not help!! ... Some sellers I am pleased to say have changed as a result of their listings being highlighted here .... others I am afraid continue laughing!! while their bank accounts keep growing!

Highlighting problems helps, but until someone is actually taken to court and prosecuted it will continue!! ... greed takes over peoples souls!!

Jeff

alloway65

At least we are now moving forward again re this part of the Forum.

A pity but some of the main culprits re misleading descriptions/poor quality stones etc are the biggest sellers.

As usual it is the newbies mainly that are taken for a ride.

There must be a moral to this situation somewhere!!!!

Back to watching cricket.

David

motherearth

yes I couldn't agree more, the Newbies fall for it and get burnt, and never buy again... without buyers there is no market!!

Jeff.

alloway65

Hi Janet (CC),

Have a look at Jeff's comments on the Hydrothermal thread, I see you are bidding on certain of the items mentioned!

David.

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi David,

Thank you, I am aware that these gems are not natural. I usually purchase the larger items for my personal collection or for "gap fillers" in the physical shop - bling looks good under light...

Kind regards,

Janet

alloway65

Hi Janet,

Just thought I would nemtion it.....I just wish there was an easy way to tell the difference....you are right they make nice bling...I have offered some to my daughters in law.

Best regards

David.

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi David,

The strength of the colour is the usual "dead giveaway" to see if the gem is natural or hydrothermal.

I've given up trying to inform / ask the seller about the authenticity - have made a few "enemies" in the process...

:wink:

Kind regards,

Janet

Celebrity Jewels
Hi Brian,

Did not comment on "overseas" suppliers, as I have no experience...will look at your offferings.

Re the customs etc my coins take 5+ weeks to clear even with all the correct paperwork, I usually use Fedex. I pay no duties but lots of other charges.

Another issue from SA if you make an electronic transfer this cost another hundred or two, PayPal I find a pain...I usually pay with my Diners Card then there are no additional charges...just the RoE.

Unlike most I have no debts and funds in cash presently....saw the crash coming well over a year ago....so much for all the highly paid bankers and investment analysts whom have got the world in turmoil.

I am a Liverpudlian and was brought up in Scotland...came here in 1969.

Great if we can get the Gemstone forum up an running again.

Regards

David

Hi David

That is a long time or goods to clear! Is there more protocol with coins? I am coming over from the uK in Feb if you need anything brought over.

I agree, paypal for users within SA is a right pain, credit card is the way to do it. Great to see the Gemstone forum picking up momentum again. Cali Craft, I have also had major stock issues over the festive season but should be up and running again soon.

To what degree do you all think that the credit crunch will affect our buyers..ie.. gemstone and coin collectors?

All opinions welcome.

Regards

Brian

Cali Craft and Gems

My total sales for December was down 29% on the previous year (online & in shop combined). So far January's figures are looking pathetic!

alloway65

Hi Brian,

Let me try again, was just about to save the post when my laptop decided to update and shutdown.

Thanks for your offer, I dont really buy from the UK, but will bear your offer in mind.

Re the protocol for coins, I assume that the packages are heavier and contain precious metals, that triggers alarms with customs.

Re the economy, I think 2009 will be worse than 2008, and a lot of large banks etc will possibly go under or be Nationalised. In the USA it is reckoned that there are over two trillion dollars of toxic assests still to come to light....mainly in Hedge Funds....and plenty more Madoff's out there.

Everyone will suffer I am sure including BoB...but I am sure there will be a lot of bargains for buyers with cash.

Fortunately BoB is a hobby for me and not an income earner. I am retired and have made my bucks...but what is enough these days. Our medical supply business has had the best 5 months ever....but importation with the weak Rand will push up prices.

The concensus is that this recession (depression) will last between 2 & 10 years. I think 2011 it will start to come right.

It is belt tightening time....I am so gald I am out of main streem business.

Have a great weekend.....is it still freezing where you are?

Best regards

David

alloway65

Re: Momentum for 2009! Gemstone enthusiasts and sellers welc

Hello all Gemstone enthusiasts and sellers

May I wish you all a prosperous 2009. I have noticed that this section of the forum has been very quiet of late - we have all been silent but time to get the ball rolling again and educate, assist and advise one another.

If anybody can put forward a new topic or rekindle an old one then lets get the show on the road.....

Regards

Brian

Hi all,

I think, in my humble opinion, regarding the lack of posts on the Gemstone Forum is that the majority of Sellers in this area (of expertise) have very little or no experience in the field of Gemstones, they are just trying to make a buck or two and therfore can't voice any valid or relavent opinions on this interesting topic.

A pity, as the Gemstone Fourm Members in the past used to have lively debates and discussions, however a lot of the "old" gemstone "experts" for one reason or another do not sell on BoB anymore!

The current vievs expressed on the Coin and Stamp Forums are still very lively at times.

Have a good day.

:(

Celebrity Jewels

Hi David

Yes, I do agree, I think that all the hot topics and heated debates were great but so few people got involved. Trying to educate the general public and alerting people about some of the snags one can encounter when buying gemstones seemed to fall on deaf ears...

Jeff (motherearth) is still about - Hey Jeff, David and Luke.. lets get some momentum going here again.. Luke, where is your latest newsletter?

Wishing everybody well from a very cold UK.

Regards

Brian

alloway65

Hi Brian,

Nice and warm here today, just had a late lunch on the patio....although we have had two weeks of non stop rain in Jhb of late.

A pity about the Gemstone Forum...I agree with you...that's why I was trying to be (honestly) contraversial...to spur on some reaction.

I use the various Forum's as my education base!

Was just looking at some of your items, when is the latest date for BoB purchases to enable you to bring the stones with you to SA?

Luke appears to be inundated with work at the moment!

Stay warm.

Best Regards

David.

Celebrity Jewels

Hi David

I will be arriving on the 20th so would suggest any clients parcels be posted within SA from about now. It takes between 7 - 14 days by Royal Mail International signed for and has its risks.. I lose 1 in 80 parcels.. it's like magic..they just disappear into thin air..lol.. SAPO for you. They can all be tracked to point of entry to SA but then vanish from there..

Hey, air conditioners are more expensive than heaters..lol.. glad the weather is good there.

Anybody reading this post who is resident in SA and wants to get out.. think about the following... You will miss the weather, you will miss the Rugby, you will miss the Braai (can only have a Braai in SA), you will miss the Castle lager, you will miss the cheap petrol and the wide open spaces.

I am looking forward to my return and have met so many great people on BoB.. what a awesome website!

Regards

Brian

Lukeness

Hey guys,

Yes very busy. But replies do seem pretty dead even when I do get to post. You start to wonder if anyone's reading them! lol.

P.S. I'm scared of those coin and stamp people!

Lmao

alloway65

Lmao?????? :oops:

Celebrity Jewels

Yeah Luke... what on earth is Lmao... you may be on to something here..lol..

Cali Craft and Gems

(LMAO = Laugh My Ass Off)