Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
windrider

Unwanted spam

1 post in this topic

I bought 2 small paintings from this seller in September 2010. Transaction went okay and I received my items. This should have been it, if I wanted to buy any more paintings from this seller I'd bid for it.

For the past year I receive regular emails from bidorbuy where this seller send me items "I want to look at" via the referencing function on BoB, basically advertising their own items. I never gave permission to use my email address to this seller so they can send me their ads. Yet I had been receiving them on the regular basis. Since I cannot block bidorbuy email (it will block all email from bidorbuy including the one I want), I carry on receiving the 'referencing emails'.

I've sent a complaint to bidorbuy to prevent this seller from using my email address to advertise their items, so will see what comes out. Now I wonder how many people are in the position of receiving this kind of spam without ever authorizing to use their email address? If you were, how did you manage to get them to stop?

P.S. I've also left a comment on the item page.

According to the ECT ACT (Electronic Communications ...... Act) nobody may send you unsolicited emails and should they do so you can request them to stop sending you these emails and they must comply or can face a fine.

It is so easy to just create a prompt for the listings to ask a buyer if they want the seller to inform them of promotions. This is what I have done with my buyers and I only send emails to those buyers that have requested it. Should any one of them ever ask me to delete them from the database, I do promptly. This is easy to implement and easy to manage and still be in compliance with THE ECT Act.