Sign in to follow this  
dstorm

Let us POST during 2012!

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello all

I know that it is a bit late, BUT….

My best New Year wishes to all stamp friends as well as all the non-stamp friends on BidorBuy.

As I have said / posted so many times before, it is now time to resurrect the Stamp Forum (again).

It is also time for me to get back on to selling on BidorBuy and to get back to the stamp fairs. However, I am first going to Yzerfontein, Western Cape for a short holiday. During this break I hope to come up with many controversial issues to be posted on the BoB Stamp Forum.

2011 was not kind to the Gauteng stamp market. Two long time dealers (Hans Maier and Alec Chadwick) passed away, while veterans Alan Houghton and Steve van der Hurk had a stroke and a heart attack respectively. I have had drinks with all four of them on many occasions so I trust that I will not sound patronising when I say that we as dealers and collectors should “draw the circle closer” during 2012.

More coffees, more whiskys and more braais and more posts on the forum should be declared as being compulsory.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

alloway65    10
alloway65

I must say as a hobby you cant lick stamps!!!!!!:sneaky:

retailrush    10
retailrush

Hi dstorm - it's great to see your beautiful face again on the forum!!! I am looking forward to reading your posts in 2012...

Wishing you Health & Happiness in 2012.

Take care

Wendy

dstorm    10
dstorm
Hi dstorm - it's great to see your beautiful face again on the forum!!!

Thanks Wendy.

Remember that the photo was taken while I was smiling.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE
Thanks Wendy.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Pity we cant see those huge teeth.

All the best for 2012.

While you are in ysterfontein enjoying the wonderful seafood and quality wine along with our fantastic hospitality we are so proud of here in the western cape,i doubt very much that you will be able to think about stamps ,controversial issues or any other,

I trust that once you are back in the business hub of south africa you will then be able to concentrate on any issues that we can discuss and debate for the philatelic year of 2012.

AS your thread suggests we must get the forum going ,where these issues that concern a number of us can be raised and addressed and hopefully some new collectors can gain some insight and experience and help from the regulars.

By the way your thread is ambiguous as i first thought you were promoting the use of postage stamps by saying we must post in 2012,silly me, thinking i must post a letter instead of using emails:thinking:.

Enjoy your break and refresh yourself for 2012.

NEIL

seahorsefanatic    10
seahorsefanatic

Hi Jacques and everyone else

Great idea to get the year rolling. Some of the topics will have been raised before but it is always worthwhile raising them again and getting fresh insight.

It was also very sobering during 2011 to hear of the passing away of someone known in the Philatelic World. In South Africa, that world is not that big ! When going to the Stamp Fairs here in Gauteng ( Pretoria, Sandton and East Rand ) I have often commented on the average age at the Fairs which seems to be higher and higher as the years go by. At 50 I am one of the younger people present. I would estimate the average age these days at about 65. There are very few collectors in the 20-40 age group. Yet overseas judging from the pictures taken at auction, fairs, and exhibitions, the spread of people is from about teenager to senior.

All the best for 2012 and may it be filled with special finds and lots of friends. icon6.png

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels
Thanks Wendy.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Hehehe!:toung:

voldermort    10
voldermort

Hope you have a wonderful holiday though I must say it is exceptionally hot down on this side of the world right now.

Excellent idea re: posting of some controversial issues, as said some may have been raised before, however I do believe that there are many issues which still need to be addressed.

Seems to me that overseas the philatelic market is booming, although here in SA it seems to be on a steady decline.........speaking to a few people about this recently the general opinion seems to be that quite a few people here in SA develop an interest in the hobby, spend very good money on stamps (unfortunately finding perhaps a greedy dealer) and then eventually find out that all they have bought is worth nothing. Thus you will see a very good buyer suddenly appear and then just as suddenly disappear forever. Possibly because these buyers, seeing as they are new to the stamp market, are not aware that a parcel cancellation drops the price considerably of an item, as does rust, regummed items, repaired items etc etc . Hopefully we can help the new collectors to know what to watch out for so that they will not be caught out buying items such as these, and will remain very good buyers who will eventually have a very worthwhile collection they will have accumulated and that they will be able to show off with pride.

All the very best for 2012

alloway65    10
alloway65
Hi Jacques and everyone else

Great idea to get the year rolling. Some of the topics will have been raised before but it is always worthwhile raising them again and getting fresh insight.

It was also very sobering during 2011 to hear of the passing away of someone known in the Philatelic World. In South Africa, that world is not that big ! When going to the Stamp Fairs here in Gauteng ( Pretoria, Sandton and East Rand ) I have often commented on the average age at the Fairs which seems to be higher and higher as the years go by. At 50 I am one of the younger people present. I would estimate the average age these days at about 65. There are very few collectors in the 20-40 age group. Yet overseas judging from the pictures taken at auction, fairs, and exhibitions, the spread of people is from about teenager to senior.

All the best for 2012 and may it be filled with special finds and lots of friends. icon6.png

Good news...I am glad I am not the only old toppie!!!!!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Thanks Wendy.

Thanks and regards

Jacques

Good golly but your stubble is greying, dstorm!

dstorm    10
dstorm

Time to share something…

On the 8th of January 2004 (almost exactly eight years ago) an undernourished and full of worms cross-Boerboel puppy was brought into my life. He joined us for a braai and being a bit bewildered, he climbed into my takkie (yes, I used to wear takkies then). He must have weighed one or two kilo’s.

When he was three months old, he could not walk anymore and we were told by two top vets that, due to ligament problems, we would have to put him down within (at the most) another three months.

Glocosamine, vitamin C, devils claw, Rymadils and many other supplements were called in. As well as lots and lots of love.

The Boerboel still goes to work with me whenever I go to work. Due to union regulations, he gets every second Sunday of the month off.

Now eight years later he weighs about 70kg and he is a constant nuisance to many of my clients like Seahorsefanatic, Gabriel1, KennyN, etc. As I have said in a different post, he once drove my little VW Golf into a wall (honestly).

His name is Donderstorm (dstorm).

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Edited by dstorm
spelling

mellowred    10
mellowred

Did Donderstorm share some of that infamous whiskey before getting behind the wheel of the VW?

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I guess Donderstorm has earned his grey stubble and wrinkles (and that's the reason why I don't colour my hair anymore!)

dstorm    10
dstorm
Did Donderstorm share some of that infamous whiskey before getting behind the wheel of the VW?

Hello Mellowred

NO!! The incident happened before 09:00 in the morning. Donderstorm would never have anything stronger than a beer before breakfast.

Keep well and regards.

Jacques

ATA STAMP CENTRE    10
ATA STAMP CENTRE

Thats a great story Jacques,

I wonder what the insurance assessor thought of your claim!!:smile1: A dog driving and nogal under the influence abeit only a beer or two!!:smile:

neil

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Neil

Seahorsefanatic is my broker…..

He is also a very good friend……

To save embarrassment on both sides, I never claimed. Or rather, I just could not risk getting arrested for making a fraudulent claim.

Keep well and regards

Jacques

dstorm    10
dstorm

I might have added to the above:

If I told the truth, I would have come across as a liar. If I lied, my story might have been plausible.

A lose – lose situation.

seahorsefanatic    10
seahorsefanatic

Hi Jacques

Its seems like such a long time ago that Donderstorm entered your life and on visits to your shop he always imposed his will one way or the other - what a character.

It would have been interesting to see the insurers response had you submitted a claim. On the otherhand, the descriptions given by claimants over the years have been hilarious but true............

"I collided with a stationary truck coming the other way"

"I pulled away from the side of the road, glanced at my mother-in-law and headed over the embankment"

"Coming home, I drove into the wrong house and collided with a tree I don't have"

"I was sure the old fellow would never make it to the other side of the road when I struck him"

The list goes on and on. icon6.png

MiemsJewels    10
MiemsJewels

Donderdorm is just like "Just Nuisance"? The Marine dog who was stationed at Houtbay? Just Nuisance was even given a State funeral when he passed away! He was a very intelligent dog, and was a Navy mascot. He even had his own bungalow where he slept!

dstorm    10
dstorm

Hello Miems

From some angles, Donderstorm looks just like Just Nuisance. This was especially true when he was younger.

Just Nuisance was in fact stationed at Simons Town - there is still a statue of him there. There was also a TV series on SABC about him (fact mixed with fiction). There was even a philatelic commemorative cover issued in his honour! (so the post is back on track – discussing philatelic matters).

I used to have a friend, Barry (now deceased) who used to visit my shop about every two or three weeks. I got to know Barry from my DVD shop and he took quite a liking to Donderstorm. On most of his visits he would arrive with a bottle of red wine and a big bag of Droë Wors, The wine was given to me and he would then commence to generously share the Droë Wors with the dog. One day I asked him whether I could have some as well. He replied: “Gaan koop jou eie blêddie eetgoed.”. This is how friendships are made!

Keep well and regards.

Jacques

Edited by dstorm
Trying in vain to get my grammar right.

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

Ek kom nou 'n bietjie laat hier aan ...

Maar 'n paar rooi lippies soene vir die laaste afskeid van 2011 en 'n lekker 2012 vir almal

Pierre