Sign in to follow this  
RISadler

Crown & Half-Crown circa 1877 ...

RISadler

I am looking for a good photograph or drawing of the Crown and/or half-Crown coins that was in use here in South Africa in the period around 1877. It will be used on the back-cover of the latest Lang Henning en die Sirkus. Full credit will be given.

Pierre_Henri

Rather pick a Half Crown (2/6-)

There are no crowns from that period as the last Victorian 5-Shilling pieces minted earlier than 1877, were struck a generation before in the 1840s. The English only started minting crowns again in the late 1880s.

Rather use a Half-Crown ("Young Head") from that period (1874, 1875, 1876 and 1877 available)

Send me a private message if you cannot find a decent picture.

Kind regards

Pierre

RISadler

No Crowns?

Thanks!

Where can I find information on the money used during that period ... 1870~1880? Recommended book?

Guest Guest

Strachan and Co

Well in East Griqualand the Strachan and Co tokens were used as currency from c 1874 to 1900 in the region - the Drakensberg to the west, the Fish river to the South and central Natal to the north...

They were the first (authenticated) circulating indigenous coinage in South Africa and continued to be used as currency largely by the indigenous people until tokens were outlawed in 1932.

For more see: The trade tokens of Strachan and Co

Their success was largely due to the dire shortage of any other type of (imported) coinage in that region during this time.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

RISadler

Pierre_Henri, thanks for the info. It gave me an idea for a plot resolution. I'm using this image on the cover ...

victoria-krone.jpg.d0036525a32d9942ac8f21328faa8017.jpg

Little Miss Muffet
Well in East Griqualand the Strachan and Co tokens were used as currency from c 1874 to 1900 in the region - the Drakensberg to the west, the Fish river to the South and central Natal to the north...

They were the first (authenticated) circulating indigenous coinage in South Africa and continued to be used as currency largely by the indigenous people until tokens were outlawed in 1932.

For more see: The trade tokens of Strachan and Co

Their success was largely due to the dire shortage of any other type of (imported) coinage in that region during this time.

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Dont forget the circulated Griqua tokens.:laugh:

Edited by geewhizz

Guest Guest

Good one.. lmao

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Edited by ndoa18

RISadler

Thanks to all for the information. The book is finished and for those interested, available here.

Pierre_Henri

Lest we forget ...

...and look what ended up in the dustbin ...