Sign in to follow this  
alloway65

Silver plated medallions sold on BoB as 0.999 Silver!!!

alloway65
Thanks. Can you get confirmation of this from a reputable dealer?

Are there any (Reputable) Coin Dealers who read the BoB Forum assist with the matter?????

qball
Understood will do.

Last time I looked the "gold" miniatures were still being sold....whether real or fakes no idea!!!

These too are illegal, if you see them please also report them. We do remove a lot of them but can't monitor all the listings... thanks.

qball
Are there any (Reputable) Coin Dealers who read the BoB Forum assist with the matter?????

Try Randburg Coin in Randburg - PM Randcoin

alloway65
Try Randburg Coin in Randburg - PM Randcoin

Thanks....I have given RANDCOIN all the relevant information.

qball

Thanks, have they confirmed that it's not fine silver? If not you will have to have the metal tested, preferably at a silversmith.

alloway65
Thanks, have they confirmed that it's not fine silver? If not you will have to have the metal tested, preferably at a silversmith.

I have sent my e mail communications with RC to the bob community watch for your attention!!!

alloway65

I have sent my e mail communications with RC to the bob community watch for your attention!!!

alloway65

Are the communications I sent to BoB sufficient???

The seller does not respond to e mails!

What is the next step?

qball
Are the communications I sent to BoB sufficient???

The seller does not respond to e mails!

What is the next step?

Unfortunately not, RC need to see the coin or it needs to be tested for silver content at a jeweller or metallurgist. We need 100% certainty that the coin is not fine silver.

Thanks

Guest Guest

Lets get real

When buying online there is always an element of risk. I think that both you (alloway) and I have done extremely well buying silver on online auction websites in recent years.

In 2005 I lost over US$2,000 on a scam run through ebay - involving a 1892 pond. We learn from these losses.

A silver one ounce coin is worth (in PAPER) just over US$30 today...

Who cares?

alloway you and I think so alike - my advice to you is to take this as part of your learning experience.

Move on and learn. I do understand your outrage of being conned... but that is where we learn and grow - take a deep breath and think of all the great buys you have made on line and just be thankful.

In the words of an unknown "s*** happens".

Kind regards

Scott Balson

kimbo11

"Skool geld"

alloway65
Unfortunately not, RC need to see the coin or it needs to be tested for silver content at a jeweller or metallurgist. We need 100% certainty that the coin is not fine silver.

Thanks

Understood, but possibly not worth the effort as the seller in question does not appear to sell on BoB at the moment...I will cut one medallion in half with an angle grinder for interest sake and scrutinize the base metal.

When I am less busy in February I will re consider my options.

Whether silver or not it appears from what has been said it was still illegal to sell these items on BoB!!!!

alloway65
When buying online there is always an element of risk. I think that both you (alloway) and I have done extremely well buying silver on online auction websites in recent years.

In 2005 I lost over US$2,000 on a scam run through ebay - involving a 1892 pond. We learn from these losses.

A silver one ounce coin is worth (in PAPER) just over US$30 today...

Who cares?

alloway you and I think so alike - my advice to you is to take this as part of your learning experience.

Move on and learn. I do understand your outrage of being conned... but that is where we learn and grow - take a deep breath and think of all the great buys you have made on line and just be thankful.

In the words of an unknown "s*** happens".

Kind regards

Scott Balson

Thanks Scott,

Your words make a lot of sense...as you say neither of us can complain about the amount of silver we have bought and the low prices paid.

On one batch of silver alone sold I made about 900% clear profit!!!

In this world if 90% of the decisions we make are the correct decisions then we are not doing too badly.

A lot of my family are now into silver and I have put silver nest eggs away for my Grandchildren.

I just hope this thread warns others to be a bit more cautious with their purchases.

Have a good Year.

Best regards

David

qball
Understood, but possibly not worth the effort as the seller in question does not appear to sell on BoB at the moment...I will cut one medallion in half with an angle grinder for interest sake and scrutinize the base metal.

When I am less busy in February I will re consider my options.

Whether silver or not it appears from what has been said it was still illegal to sell these items on BoB!!!!

No problem, give me a shout when you have reconsidered.

alloway65

A thought:

Why does the Buyer always have to prove that what the Seller has sold is a fake. Parallel to this why does BoB not ask the Seller to prove that what he/she has sold is Genuine! Why must the Buyer do all the work as he/she only bought what was advertized on a reputable website!!!

qball
A thought:

Why does the Buyer always have to prove that what the Seller has sold is a fake. Parallel to this why does BoB not ask the Seller to prove that what he/she has sold is Genuine! Why must the Buyer do all the work as he/she only bought what was advertized on a reputable website!!!

Mainly because as the person making the allegation, the onus is on you to substantiate the allegation. Not only that, more often than not, the seller no longer has the item in his possession anymore, therefore cannot necessarily provide the proof.

Please remember - we do not control or guarantee what is sold - it is the seller's legal responsibility to ensure what they list is genuine, authentic and legal.

alloway65
Mainly because as the person making the allegation, the onus is on you to substantiate the allegation. Not only that, more often than not, the seller no longer has the item in his possession anymore, therefore cannot necessarily provide the proof.

Please remember - we do not control or guarantee what is sold - it is the seller's legal responsibility to ensure what they list is genuine, authentic and legal.

Point 1:

With the items in question a good few were sold on BoB, the seller I assume bought these on ebay or from a Chinese/other source so he would have a paper trail of his purchases! As the Seller in question does not answer e mails or comment on the BoB Forum posts, I sent him a link...this in itself, to me at least, is a sign of guilt. If the Seller honestly believed that the items he sold were genuine he would have refuted this thread!!!

I would have contacted the other Buyers for comments but do not have their contact details.

Point 2:

Accepted & understood.

As previously mentioned I will look into this matter further in February!