Sign in to follow this  
Seeds for Africa

Another change!

Seeds for Africa

I noticed a few days ago that sellers names have been moved from underneath the item name on the category pages to the extreme right of the page. Can bob share with us what the logics are behind this latest change?

MacMuffin
I noticed a few days ago that sellers names have been moved from underneath the item name on the category pages to the extreme right of the page. Can bob share with us what the logics are behind this latest change?

From our user-exerpience studies and heat- and click-maps (something we conducted in September), we found that buyers looking at search results will typically follow a left-top-right-right movement and the rationale behind the change is:

- Moving the seller name to the right will unclutter the area where we display thumbnail, title and price.

- Users typically browse and scroll and with this change items displayed are easier to read

- Users looking for specific items from specific sellers are now able to look at thumbnail/price (left) and seller information (right)

A positive side affect of the change is also freeing up some space under the price to display product attributes (have a look at the property section). During 2012 we will introduce product attributes for categories which will then allow users to narrow their results by attributes (i.e. laptop memory, body-type of a car, shoe-size, characteristics of coins, stamps, plants etc).

Little Miss Muffet

I have mentioned this and had no reply.

When the thumbnail is zoomed it is smaller than the actual thumbnail until one clicks on the icon

It concerns me that users do not realize this can be enlarged by clicking on the icon.

I did not realize it and a number of other users did not realize it

MacMuffin
I have mentioned this and had no reply.

When the thumbnail is zoomed it is smaller than the actual thumbnail until one clicks on the icon

It concerns me that users do not realize this can be enlarged by clicking on the icon.

I did not realize it and a number of other users did not realize it

I am not quite sure what you mean - take this trade as an example: Fiat - Fiat Panda for sale in Durban (ID:51601401)

We double the size of the images a few months back (from 120x120px to 240x240px), so the images on the item pages are already bigger than they where. The other functionality (i.e. clicking on the thumbnail or clicking on the zoom-buton) has remained unchanged, showing the larger image.

If your popped up image after clicking on it is smaller than the one displayed on the item page, than this means that you uploaded an image smaller than 240x240. We recommend that users upload thumbnails of a size of 500x500px or more.

Give me a link to a trade and I will check it out...

Little Miss Muffet

I load images of 800. It is not my listings it is every listing.

It is also not the thumbnail.When the thumbnail is zoomed it comes up smaller than the original thumbnail until one clicks on the icon to enlarge it. The link you refer to does exactly the same thing

Not everyone realizes this can be enlarged. Or is it my computer?

Virgotec

@Geewhizz

I have tried your theory and if I click on the thumbnail or the zoom button, I get the same result. The image is enlarged in both cases.

I have checked it in IE8 and Google Chrome. Same result.

Maybe there is a problem with your computer- or browser settings.

MacMuffin
Maybe there is a problem with your computer- or browser settings.

Or you have some popup blocker or at some point in time when we introduced this feature clicked on "Do not allow popups from this site"?