Sign in to follow this  
kennyn

PUT THE FUN BACK INTO THE HOBBY

kennyn

Hello All

Having read a smattering of the numerous utterings of the last few months,one is left with an undoubted feeling that the vast majority of the stamp collecting/dealing fraternity that contribute to the BOB forum are despite their outwardly conservative appearance actually a bunch of fun loving hooligans.

Their dedication to free speech has unfortunately been blunted by a determination to play the game and not upset the apple cart.

Are we scared to tell people how we really feel?

Or as we would say in Scotland "Tak the marbles oot yur mooth and tellit as it is",which loosly translated means "Dont tell people what they would like to hear,rather what they should hear"

I am quite frankly sick and tired of the influence of "Organised Philately" on our hobby and their insistence that "if you are not part of them,then you are not part of philately"

Have you seen a recent meeting of any of these austere bodies?.Fun and laughter personified,I dont think.

I can guarantee that the majority of the people who buy on Bid Or Buy do not exhibit their stamps.

Why?

Quite simple.Because they are not part of the "in crowd",they do not have the advantages of collaborating with the same dealers,who surprise,surprise ,just happen to be the judges for their exhibits.Now far be it for me to suggest for one minute that a judge/dealer would ever coerce a potential exhibitor to buy that last remaining item that will ensure he gets a medal.Tut,tut surely not.

Okay.enough of the moaning,what about a solution?

Quite simple.As of today I am the founding member of THE APPRECIATION OF MALT WHISKY PHILATELIC SOCIETY.

Plusses?.Well if you dont like stamps you can still join!

Minuses?.If you dont like malt whisky,dont worry as long as you like stamps we wont hold that against you.

The aim of the Society is quite simple

"To meet in a sociable environment at regular intervals ,share and impart knowledge in a friendly and non condescending manner and to ensure as many collectors as possible are encouraged to exhibit on a yearly basis starting with the Alternative World Cup Exhibition of 2010"

Yes,thats right,we will be hosting our own exhibition for people who love stamps,like you and me;Sure we havent got endless budgets to go and buy Gold Medal collections.But thats not why we collect stamps.I am sure you will agree there is nothing more satisfactory than discovering a flaw or error etc on a otherwise common stamp that someone else missed.

So Ladies and Gents,its up to you.Lets prove that the true heart of philately beats strongly within us;the ordinary collector and come join the society and look forward to sharing your collections with like minded people in the years to come

Kindest Regards

Kenny

seahorsefanatic

Hi Kenny

I fully agree with you on this one. There are far to many out there with marbles in the way. I remember an evening which was " two grand " and thereafter turned into a " Too Grand " event that was enjoyed by all and very little was spent. Sadly it was a while ago but there are rumours that another evening is being planned. This is exactly what philately is all about. The cameraderie and friendship that developes cannot be bought with condescending remarks or a patronising attitude.

Maybe with the malt wiskey, one could have a cushion or two if provided and the ingredient of other like minded people and what do you have ? A memorable time with lots of fun.

I last exhibited at the 1984 Aupex National exhibition and vowed not to exhibit for many years after that. I found the whole experience very daunting and the people involved to be " clicky " to say the least. I felt I was an outsider who had to earn acceptance with big ticket items obviously bought from certain dealers,etc.

Not much has changed in the last 25 years as far as organised philately is concerned. Others might disagree with me, but then again this is my personal opinion.

Where do I apply for membership ?. ( I hope meetings are held at least once a month ).

dstorm

Hello KennyN

As of today I am the founding member of THE APPRECIATION OF MALT WHISKY PHILATELIC SOCIETY.

What a wonderful idea.

However, I have a few questions.

As you know I am a dealer and a Member of SAPDA (South African Philatelic Dealers Association). Technically part of Organised Philately. Am I still allowed to join?

I love Malt Whisky, but being a stamp dealer, can only afford the cheaper blended whiskies. Will this be held against me?

What will it cost do join?

Can I be the VICE President? I hope you are not going to waste time on electing office bearers. You will need a strong committee.

Regards

Jacques

kennyn

Hi Jacques and Dave

Great stuff,now we are three as of course you are welcome to join.Membership is open to all,regardless of race,creed ,culture,Rugby team preference,etc.

I agree Dave that once a month is probably about right,we can discuss on Saturday.Lets come up with some interesting ways to mix a little bit of stamps with a lot of pleasure.

Jacques I also agree,lets not waste time on office bearers and fancy titles,the most important thing is to get a commitee up and running as soon as possible,because as you have told me the organisation of a major event like the Exhibition takes some doing .We can discuss costs etc also on Saturday(breakfast on me!) .

Jacques,as a poor stamp dealer who loves malt whisky it would be most un-Scotsmanlike for a grudge to be held against you just because you inbibe an occassional Grants in between the Caol Ila and Tomintoul.

Kind Regards and Slainte,

Kenny

gabriel 1

Hi All

Although I do not partake in the liquid gold anymore, I will bring a bottle along to the Saturday meeting, what is the flavour of the month?

You have my buy-in into the alternative exhibition ("no rules"), I have always wanted to exhibit but was always put off by the "oh no you cant do that" and "who the hell are you?" attitude. We put alot into our collections, time effort and money and should be allowed to show it off anyway we choose and at the same time enjoy it.

At this early stage I would like to nominate Clinton as one of the judges, he is one of the most passionate guys in the business and understands the collectors that have limited budgets but are also proud of their collections.

Anyway see you Saturday.

Regards

Gabriel1

dstorm

Hello Kenny

I am a bit worried about your fellow Scotsman, Alloway. He is rather quiet. Thought he would have been the first to join.

Regards

Jacques

kennyn

Hello Jacques

I am sure he will be unable to hold out for much longer!

Kind Regards

Kenny

kennyn

Hello Gabriel1

Great stuff.Could not agree more about the comment regarding Clinton.He is one of the few dealers who does not care whether you have a few rands or a few million to spend and is always encouraging one to get their collections/accumulations into some semblance of order .

Dont worry about the whisky for Saturday,its all taken care of and we have got some work to do so it will all be in moderation(what a beautiful phrase,as moderation is such a flexible word and so open to ones own interpretation)

See you Saturday

Kind Regards

Kenny

kennyn

Hi All

I would like to quote from a letter sent to the SA Philatelist,which Seahorse can know doubt relate to if his post on this subject is anything to go by.

This was in reply to a letter sent in the previous month which started "Philatelists and stamp collectors constantly encounter the wierdest people who boast that they collect stamps but who exhibit an abysmal ignorance of the most elementary basic knowledge of the hobby"

The reply to this was

"I am one of those unfortunate people he would class as wierd,but whose fault is that.I decided to take up Stamp Collecting four years ago,and started off full of enthusiasm.I bought books on stamp collecting but when it came to advice,I found that in most cases dealers are keen to sell their wares,not educate would be collectors.

I have subscribed to your magazine,but I find A)many of the articles are way above my head,and B)nowhere does it give information on stamp clubs local or otherwise,where they meet or when.

Perhaps I would be terrified to apply in any case.

In an effort at self education,I attended a SAPDA exhibition and after being glared at or totally ignored by the important looking fundis sitting at desks all around the room,I nervously approached one only to be brushed aside as a possibly" wierd" housewife with a " pin money" budget.

There must be many like me who would love to join a club for "adult juniors"

Food for thought eh?

Oh the most interesting thing about the letter is that it was written in 1980!

So Dave,you are right,nothing much has changed in 25 odd years.Hence the reason for forming our little club,where a balance of collectors and dealers can get together.

One apology to the SA Philatelist re the above letter,they did in fact give names and addresses of clubs,societies.

Kind Regards

Kenny

gabriel 1

Hi

Let's not get into wierd, in your mind run through all the dealers you know, some strange characters. Another thing to remember is if these "wierd people" did not support the the hobby where would it be in years to come. As far as ignorance is concerned, very little has been done over the years (as far as I can see) to actually assist and educate new collectors. If new collectors are not exposed to all aspects of the Philatelic world, do not get to interact with of collectors, do not find that there is reference material available, do not engage in conversation about their collecting area etc, where are they going. Philately is a long term process with many twists and turns and only education will keep new collectors interested and excited about the hobby. I further think that it was a bit irrisponsible of the SA Philatelist to publish such a letter in the first place.

I have often read articles in the SA Philatelist and thought to myself that this is way out of my league, how is a new collector to be expected to learn anything from a 4 page technical article on 1 small segment of SA Union which took the study circle 15 years to complete (example). Alot of the material shown in the SA Philatelist is in any case out of reach of the majority of collectors, publish stuff that is available. I am not saying they should scrap the current articles but add a balance. Start with terminology, mnh, mh, fu, perfs etc etc, this adds value to the new collector, he/she will be itching to get their hands on the next issue. I appeal to anyone who needs an answer or has a question about Philately to post it on this Forum, I can assure you that the question will be responded to. Perhaps we are breaking new ground and in future when a collectors needs answers he/she turns to the BoB forum.

As far as stamp clubs are concerned, I am not a great fan or perhaps I just had a bad experience. I spent a year attending meetings, putting items to show together and really going out of my way to make it interesting. Well it was probably the most time I have ever wasted, non of the other members ever had anything to share, nothing regarding Philately was ever shared or discussed, it turned out to be a group of guys there for the snacks and jokes.

To end off since I started collecting Boer War and Railways I have learnt so much about SA History that it is insane, I even planned my last holiday around places connected with my collecting interest, battlefields, block-houses, rail museums etc.

Have a great day.

Gabriel1

KWALITY STAMPS

Yippee ( I think That is how you spell it

Finally, a thinking, drinking or is it drinking thinking. Im not sure... as the saying goes, nothing ventured nothing gained. Why not and all that... Mixing it with whiskey's, can we bring cigars?? I'm up for it, let's make 2009 a year of change for the philatelist.. I want to be president.. Please.. (only if I get free whiskey's, it can be an expensive hobby). I think Kenny should be president of the entertainment section, (he would be responsible for sourcing the whiskey's at donation prices of course). Again, I think Gabriel 1 should be the advisory board and Dstorm the ethics committee.. Seahorsefanatic should be the vice president, (the one who does all the leg work)..

Anyway, on a mroe serious note. I agree, that something like this should be done. As i have said it befoire, and Gabriel 1 you have said it yourself. Wouldn't it be nice to gave some of the more experienced philatelist guiding the novices.. I can remember and being a new collector (under 1 year), i can only credit my knowledge and limited but fast growing experience to having asked and then receiving the right information from an old time collector with a vast knowledge, Dstrom.. And I hope many people read this.. he has been invaluable to ne me both as a buyer and a seller. (i'm sure his wife must be annoyed with this person called Savo, bencause I can remember calling him 10 times a day to ask questions, and not once has he refused to help me, and all this before we actually got to meet in person0. I can only thank him for the friendship and guidance without which I would have been poorer. (Most importantly, he has never tried to sell me anything, but in the first few months has brought items from me). Where do we find more peiople like him, we need to for all the new collectors..

Anyway, must go, have to make a lamb curry this evening, promised the wife and she is waiting... I hope you all have a wonderful 2009

KWALITY STAMPS

Yippee ( I think That is how you spell it

Finally, a thinking, drinking or is it drinking thinking. Im not sure... as the saying goes, nothing ventured nothing gained. Why not and all that... Mixing it with whiskey's, can we bring cigars?? I'm up for it, let's make 2009 a year of change for the philatelist.. I want to be president.. Please.. (only if I get free whiskey's, it can be an expensive hobby). I think Kenny should be president of the entertainment section, (he would be responsible for sourcing the whiskey's at donation prices of course). Again, I think Gabriel 1 should be the advisory board and Dstorm the ethics committee.. Seahorsefanatic should be the vice president, (the one who does all the leg work)..

Anyway, on a mroe serious note. I agree, that something like this should be done. As i have said it befoire, and Gabriel 1 you have said it yourself. Wouldn't it be nice to gave some of the more experienced philatelist guiding the novices.. I can remember and being a new collector (under 1 year), i can only credit my knowledge and limited but fast growing experience to having asked and then receiving the right information from an old time collector with a vast knowledge, Dstrom.. And I hope many people read this.. he has been invaluable to ne me both as a buyer and a seller. (i'm sure his wife must be annoyed with this person called Savo, bencause I can remember calling him 10 times a day to ask questions, and not once has he refused to help me, and all this before we actually got to meet in person0. I can only thank him for the friendship and guidance without which I would have been poorer. (Most importantly, he has never tried to sell me anything, but in the first few months has brought items from me). Where do we find more peiople like him, we need to for all the new collectors..

Anyway, must go, have to make a lamb curry this evening, promised the wife and she is waiting... I hope you all have a wonderful 2009 and may only the best happen for each and everyone of you.

gabriel 1

Hi Savo

Where the hell have you been?, all the best for 2009, will I see you on Saturday?, I still owe you an item.

Regards

Gabriel1

kennyn

Hi Savo

Welcome!

But if you keep spelling Whisk(e)y the non Scottish way,we will make you Entertainments,catering,president/vice president,secretary,treasurer,

waiter,etc,etc

Cheers,see you Saturday

Kind Regards

Kenny

KWALITY STAMPS

sorry for the mistaken spelling of the correct way to spell

Hi Kenny, I have to say sorry for the mistaken spelling of the correct way to spell the spelling of the actual spelling of the word Whisky. and being a great collector of the golden, (most times) magical fountain of youth, I should be and am ashamed of mistakingly spelling it incorrectly. I have slappend myself on the wrists for it.

Anyway, a christmas gift from the wife this year was a bottle of the 30 year old famous grouse. What can i say, i am one of those lucky devils whose wife supports all my collecting hobbies. 9including stamps)

Hi gabriel, yes you will see me on Saturday, have been keeping quiet, watching the happenings on BoB and also finding the time to reorganise my own collection and catalogue it and so on, finished it last Monday. So i can breath again and wait for the next Sotheby;s auction and go crazy again..

Anyway... Must go, the wife was happy with the curry, so must go and collect reward....

see you all on Saturday

best

Savo

dstorm

Hello all

Thanks Savo, much appreciated. But as DavidK, Kenny and Gabriel, etc will confirm, I do not like selling stamps, except to my friends. 2009 Might be a tough year for all of you financially.

The exhibition is a must. I have already spoken to Ekurhuleni Metropolitan Council and perhaps a Two Day Exhibition might be a good idea – either a Friday and a Saturday, or a Saturday and a Sunday. The emphasis should be on fun, but the exhibits (while not bound by any rules) should be taken seriously. At this stage, our biggest (perhaps only) hurdle is the question of exhibition frames.

I hope that we will also attract members / collectors / exhibitors from outside of Gauteng.

Regards

Jacques

gabriel 1

Hi All

I agree with the serious part of the exhibition and although rules have been dispenced of there should be certain guidlines. Obviously the size of the exhibition frames is important so that exhibitors know their limits/restrictions. For planning purposes the dates need to be finalised and advertising needs to commence, a year is not a long time when you have to put something together in your spare time. If we want to make a success of this we need establish who is willing to assist and to then form an organising body ASAP and allocate tasks accordingly. Perhaps we should all bring a list of ideas with us on Saturday.

Gabriel1

kennyn

Hi Gabriel 1

100%

Lets sit for a bit on Saturday,discuss and then allocate tasks to those willing to help

Kind Regards

Kenny

ppinky

Hi Ladies and gents!

An overall great idea and hope that your meeting to discuss/plan will be fruitful.

Would like to be counted in with the club as long as you can think up a plan to accommodate collectors from outside your paradise - Gauteng!

The exhibition is a great idea - except - must it be in Gauteng?! Just joking - looking forward to the prospects of an exhibition. Might even tag a local friend along who loves stamps and whisky.

Please keep us posted!

Regards

Hendrik

kennyn

Hi Hendrik

You are more than welcome.Will let you know of the progress after our meeting.

We will come up with a plan to include members from outwith our "paradise".

Kind Regards

Kenny

kennyn

Hello All

Great news for THE EXHIBITION.Due to popular demand it was unanimously agreed that not only will we have the 2010 World Cup exhibition,but also one this year almost certainly in August and in the East Rand area of Johannesburg.

Final dates and venue will be confirmed by Ist February.

The entry forms will also be ready by the 1st February,and full details of where to obtain one will be given.

Sorry I have not got any further info now,but by Ist Feb everything will be in place.

Regards

Kenny

gabriel 1

Hi

This is obviously great news and something to look forward to. I would like to donate all the trophys and cetificates for this event. Although it is a fun exhibition I still think that awards should be given for effort put into their hard work. I am thinking along the following lines:

Floating trophys are awarded for 1st, 2nd and 3rd in each catagory along with a framed certificate.

Catagories (tell me what you think, can add or take away)

1. One page exhibit

2. Multiple page exhibit but less than 1 frame

3. 1 frame exhibit

4. Multiple frame exhibit

5. Thematic exhibit, more than 5 pages????

6. Open class (use of other material not philatelic + philatelic material)

The above will mean that we have 18 trophys, do you want to add more catagories?, dstorm + seahorsefanatic to give input. Should we have a specialist class?

Kenny, I received my box of rust, by the looks of things the best thing to do with it is to re-bury it in my back yard.

Regards

Gabriel1

2dblue

Kenny

I fully agree with your comments.

Count me in on the alternative exhibition.

Rgds

Colin

gabriel 1

Hi

Which Colin is this, do we know you?

Regards

Gabriel1

2dblue

Yebo yes,

Me, with glasses and tattoos - Federation youth and promotions chairman (i was out of the room and having a piss when the voting was on)

Rgds