Sign in to follow this  
meeks

Has the crazy Wednesday auctions (crafts/Beads) now finally died out?

meeks

I could not believe it, when I saw that there are only 3 sellers who has listed beads (bulk offers) this week, and overall only 18 listings in the crafts category. (Crazy Wednesday auction)

Is beading a dying 'art"? - I have tried listing buy nows, but have to really reduce the prices,(by up to 50% in some instances), as I am trying to sell all stocks on hand.

What a pity it has come to what it is now, especially recalling the times when the crazy Wednesday auctions took up 4 pages towards month end, through to almost mid month.

Sellers have given up one by one, and no matter how we tried to revive the category, it just faded.

Such a pity,when buyers can get the items on BOB at a fraction of the retail price, and darn good stuff at that!!!

I personally have literally thousands of Rands worth of stocks, a lot are imports, and even offering it at the lowest of low prices, it is just not reviving the sales on BOB, and if buyers buy the stuff at retail prices, they will balk at the cost.

Sad.

Cali Craft and Gems

My personal opinion as to why the bead category has died out is that it is in the mix with other crafts which result in thousands of listings that the poor buyer has to wade through to possibly find what they are looking for!

If the bead section had a category totally unto itself, I can bet you that sales would improve!

But then again, that is merely my opinion... a respected and highly-rated seller could not possibly know everything - right? ;)

voldermort

I don't think it has anything to do with a particular category, if you look at the Crazy Wed overall there are very few items listed in any category, or perhaps I should say fewer than usual. Remember Christmas is just around the corner and every year at this time there is far less advertised on the Crazy Weds etc. Wait until January and you will see all the categories packed again.

moppies
My personal opinion as to why the bead category has died out is that it is in the mix with other crafts which result in thousands of listings that the poor buyer has to wade through to possibly find what they are looking for!

If the bead section had a category totally unto itself, I can bet you that sales would improve!

But then again, that is merely my opinion... a respected and highly-rated seller could not possibly know everything - right? ;)

Cali, I need to agree on your statement made. I HATE browsing through a lot of stuff to find what I want. It takes time and effort (and so my 3G is running) The beading "gogga" nested within me and I cannot get enough of the beading listings but sometimes I just give up and go to the local bead shop where I have to pay much more and even sometimes have to return empty handed.

MrAerospace

I don't suppose lily has read this thread!

lilythepink

Yes, lily is now reading this thread.

I cannot agree more that beads needs a separate section of their own, with sub-sections for fittings. Wading through the ones which are often "the same old, same old" does not give me great inspiration when I need it.

But some of the bead sellers (those from whom I have bought) have gone to great lengths to import and then let me have the items that I want but for some reason are never advertised on BoB (unless I just don't see them because of the mishmash of listings?)

Pickle Bearies

I am an avid crafter and am very disappointed in the crafts page in general. I used to enjoy bidding on all sorts of crafts but there is so little available now ( on crazy auctions) I might be wrong but I think it also has a lot to do with the economy and the fact that a lot of items ...such as scrapbooking goodies ...are now available at "crazy stores" for so much cheaper. I also find myself disheartened at having to search through all those listings on the beads for unique items and charms etc.

meeks
I am an avid crafter and am very disappointed in the crafts page in general. I used to enjoy bidding on all sorts of crafts but there is so little available now ( on crazy auctions) I might be wrong but I think it also has a lot to do with the economy and the fact that a lot of items ...such as scrapbooking goodies ...are now available at "crazy stores" for so much cheaper. I also find myself disheartened at having to search through all those listings on the beads for unique items and charms etc.

Hi,

I do agree with you about it being disheartening trying to find certain items among the listings, and that is precisely why some people prefer bulk offers (a variety - beads, charms, findings, and other beading goodies) I hasten to add, those sellers who list individual items, have some lovely things on offer, and that is how they prefer to list, where others - myself included - prefer to list in "kit" (bulk) form, but in general the crafts have taken a severe knock in support,and as you mentioned,the economy does have a part in it, but this has been going on for a long time now.

As for scrapbooking, yes, it used to be HUGE on BOB. I can not really comment on the costs of those items (retail) but on BOB, beads and everything to do with beading, are being offered at a fraction of the shop prices, but the clients are just not there anymore, and as requested by a few clients, I have agreed to mention in my sale and buy now listings, that the items are not available to fellow BOB (Bead) sellers, as some clients have complained, that they do not get a fair chance at a bargain,when other bead sellers purchase the items.

So, I feel having complied with the client's requests,I have done what I can to accommodate the buyers, but it is frustrating, and hopefully things will improve soon.

Little Miss Muffet

A user bought some vintage glass buttons and laces from me.

I was suprised to be told she has a vintage scapbooking shop.

Perhaps this is a good idea to make the crafts section more interesting.

If you want a supplier here is a good contact.

Yours truly "geewhizz":biggrin:

I have boxes and boxes of items that could be used for this purpose.

Pickle Bearies

Geewhizz i like your idea very much and think it has great potential. I recently bought up a selection of vintage type laces, charms, miniatures etc and I find them great to accessories some of my craft items which I make and sell. Are you going to be listing your items of vintage stock ?

Little Miss Muffet
Geewhizz i like your idea very much and think it has great potential. I recently bought up a selection of vintage type laces, charms, miniatures etc and I find them great to accessories some of my craft items which I make and sell. Are you going to be listing your items of vintage stock ?

Yes I think I should.

I am trying to straighten out my life (or Stock) at the moment.

I will definately be be listing this type of item in the new year.

Pickle Bearies

Geewhizz I am looking forward to seeing your items!!

I have a question which perhaps you could help me with...I am starting to sell a stock of miniature items intended for the miniature crafter...eg.. tiny charms, laces, miniature ric-rac..etc so that the miniature enthusiast can craft their own items. But I am very unsure where to list these items... should they go under toys and hobbies with the miniature doll house stuff, under crafts? under sewing? I put some miniature charms for sale under the craft category with the needle crafting stuff but I feel it is lost and out of place.

Does any one have some advice for me on this matter?

Thanking you all.

meeks
Geewhizz I am looking forward to seeing your items!!

I have a question which perhaps you could help me with...I am starting to sell a stock of miniature items intended for the miniature crafter...eg.. tiny charms, laces, miniature ric-rac..etc so that the miniature enthusiast can craft their own items. But I am very unsure where to list these items... should they go under toys and hobbies with the miniature doll house stuff, under crafts? under sewing? I put some miniature charms for sale under the craft category with the needle crafting stuff but I feel it is lost and out of place.

Does any one have some advice for me on this matter?

Thanking you all.

Hi,

Your charms are a nice size, so can be used in jewellery making, and in scrapbook projects, so try them in Crafts - under "Beads Pearls & Charms".

Buyers looking for charms will automatically go there.