Sign in to follow this  
Cash in the Attic

Unique Boer War Medal ( St.Helena 1900 )

Cash in the Attic    10
Cash in the Attic

Hi Collectors

Please have a look at the following Images : A unique Boer war Medal made by a Boer POW at St.Helena in 1900. The Obverse Reads " Ter Gedachtenis Aan De Boerden Krygscevangenen " " St.Helena 1900 " Reverse " Liberty Prosperity Valliance Perseverance "

As i understand it, the Medal was created by Hammering Two CartWheel Penny's together....

Weight :31.1 Grams

Diameter : 45MM

Comments will be welcomed..

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

Is it for sale?:blink1:

kyle2    10
kyle2

thats an amazing amount of detail for a handmade item made in those adverse conditions. Very nice item

waldmeister    10
waldmeister
Hi Collectors

Please have a look at the following Images : A unique Boer war Medal made by a Boer POW at St.Helena in 1900. The Obverse Reads " Ter Gedachtenis Aan De Boerden Krygscevangenen " " St.Helena 1900 " Reverse " Liberty Prosperity Valliance Perseverance "

As i understand it, the Medal was created by Hammering Two CartWheel Penny's together....

Weight :31.1 Grams

Diameter : 45MM

Comment

Hi no doubt you have looked up details of this up in Hern's handbook page 75 where all details can be found. Theref were supposed to be only 20 made but i have seen 5 recently so questions are raised. if you have the detail I can post it for you. Thanks

Keane16    10
Keane16

Excuse my ignorance ...

But what's a Cartwheel penny?

Thanks in advance

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

A Cartwheel penny is a 1797 (Or round that time) British penny. It had depth to the face of the penny which was lower than the rims.

There is probably one for sale on Bob although we often find them well worn and the rims smoothed out