Sign in to follow this  
Guest MacMuffin

Blocking of buyers

Cali Craft and Gems
While the BLOCK will drop off in 90 days, how about negative

Ratings dropping off in let's say 12-24 months?

It is practically the same principle so it's actually a good idea! What is good for the goose, is good for the gander!

lilythepink

Well, I can't agree that it's an identical principle - imagine us not seeing negatives against buyers who are atrocious at meeting their obligations? And removing their negative ratings would mean their ratings would be more positive?! :worried:

On rethinking your suggestion, Cali, I would opt for negatives to stay put for buyers and, that considered, it would hardly be fair to remove negatives only from sellers. Any more opinions ...?

Virgotec

Unfortunately you don't have a choice anymore - as a seller you are required to supply the buyer with your contact details, including address as per the CPA.
Whilst this is a real concern for many sellers, there does not appear to be any way around this. Blocking a buyer will not stop this. Whilst you may have valid reasons for blocking a buyer, as stated this is again being abused by the majority of sellers, which is detrimental to the site as a whole.

Why then are sellers who don't enter their contact details on their order/checkout page allowed to sell on BOB?

Jacques Kuun

Hello all

Except from selling on BoB, I trade from my (very little) stamps shop and also do two major stamp fairs a month.

If I do not want to sell to a potential client, I do not sell! Full stop. There is no law in this country that can force me to sell something to someone else. But I fully accept that BoB can apply their own rules.

I must add: I have only ever blocked one buyer on BoB - since rectified!

Keep well and regards

Jacques

Cali Craft and Gems

I don't mind giving my postal address, but refuse point blank to give my physical address! I'm alone at home about 95% of the time and won't put myself (nor my property) at risk!

Miss Jewels

If I do not want to sell to a potential client, I do not sell! Full stop. There is no law in this country that can force me to sell something to someone else. Jacques

This basically sums it up! Thanks Jacques

Mustlovebooks
I don't mind giving my postal address, but refuse point blank to give my physical address! I'm alone at home about 95% of the time and won't put myself (nor my property) at risk!

I agree 100% - it's not safe.

kebs

All of the buyers I have blocked have either had an SNC completed against them (95%), or have been abusive in some way. As I usually sell "buy-it-nows", I can't delete bids if I see it's from some-one I previously blocked & hence no longer wish to deal with. Why not leave the block if an SNC was completed, then lift the others if you must? Otherwise I need to put in each listing somewhere that if a buyer previously had an SNC completed, or was previous blocked, I reserve the right to cancel the sale? More SNC's to follow then?? I agree, then why bother in the first place? File an SNC, inform the person that you will cancel all future sales & nicely ask that they not buy again from you..

wayjen

How about dropping the rating system all together? If BoB feels that adding other peoples listings to our listings and manipulating our blocks on Buyers is good for business then do away with the rating system too then.

mellowred

Unfortunately there are some spiteful vindictive people out there.

If a person can stoop low enough to buy from a seller with the sole purpose of giving a negative rating for something said on the forum, it is easy to beleive that a person with that mentality will diarise the 90 day block, and on day 91 rush in and buy a R15 item just for revenge.

I agree with the limit on number of blocks (perhaps a % of sales would work).

At the very least the buyers with SNCs filed against them should remain blocked.

Perhaps BoB should take a look at the buyers who have a lot of blocks against them. They are obviously doing something wrong.

ATA STAMP CENTRE

IF a previously blocked buyer (now unblocked by bob after a period) again buys and does not pay and you have to again snc but!! he cost you R100 enhancement fee last time and now he does the same and you lose another R100 NON REFUNDABLE ENHANCEMENT FEE through no fault of your own,The only protection we have is to block these buyers or else we lose money and time.

I am very accomodating and will only block some one who is a complete waste of time and after bending over backwards to accomodate them.

Those i have blocked i do not want to deal with again and the problem is i cannot delete bids as to check the bids on a crazy wed around closing time is impossible.

Sometimes the state of the economy is a contributor to the detriment of the site and not the blocking of a few time wasters by serious sellers.

neil

wayjen

You lose money with every SNC you file. 14 days of lost money to be exact.

voldermort

Unfortunately though you cannot delete a bid from a Buy Now......sooo if I have a buyer who I file a SNC against, and if found in my favour, I can block him for 3 monthes when he can then once again do some Buy Now's (knowing I cannot delete the bids) & do the same thing all over again? And basically this could carry on for years because maybe, he just doesn't like me.....in the meanwhile he is buying from other sellers and paying so his ratings are quite stable which is why I say this could go on for years.

Same thing for auctions, does any seller really sit 24/7 watching who is bidding so as to be able to delete an unwelcome bid.......that is impossible.

kyle2

I don't get it. How does a seller abuse the blocking facility? If a seller does not want someone to buy from them, its their choice. Its the same as walking into a shop and seeing a sign that says 'Right of admission reserved'. If you cause 'K@K' you will get thrown out and probably not be admitted again. Why can't the same apply here? I don't want anyone back who will more than likely cause problems again or waste my money.

A seller assumes all the consequences for blocking someone, it is the seller not receiving the revenue from that person at the end of the day. The blocked buyer will just have to get the goods elsewhere and hopefully learn from the mistakes made and not do them again. BidorBuy won't lose anything at all either way.:notrust:

Seeds for Africa
Unfortunately there are too many sellers abusing this facility. We also cannot discuss, ask or consult users every time we want to do something or make a change... we would never get anything accomplished. Sorry... :smile1: it is detrimental to the site as a whole.

Please fill us in on how a seller abuses this facility?

qball

Here are a few examples:

Oh, buyer asked me a question about shipping when it's clearly stated on the listing, block him

What, he paid R1 short, block him

He has 99.98% positive rating score, and only one negative, block him

Buyer raised his voice on the phone to me, block him

I don't like the way the buyer emails me, block him

Buyers asks where parcel is? Block him

Should I go on...:shock: This is not directed at the good sellers, and unfortunately sometimes we all have to suffer for the sins of others. There are very legitimate reasons for blocking buyers but I'm afraid many buyers are simply using this to the detriment of the site as a whole, as the buyer has a negative experience (more often than not, an unjustified blocking) and then decides never to use bidorbuy again... before we introduced this feature, sellers had no ability to block people, and we introduced it with the proviso that should it be abused we would reconsider withdrawing it.

Cali Craft and Gems

Hi Cuan

In light of your reply, is it not possible for there to be an option as to "why" the seller is blocking the buyer? Basically along the same lines as the SNC format. BoB will obviously be able to take a peek into the matters to see if the reason given is justified - like the SNC process.

J - CCG

Seeds for Africa
Here are a few examples:

Oh, buyer asked me a question about shipping when it's clearly stated on the listing, block him

Should I go on...:shock: This is not directed at the good sellers, and unfortunately sometimes we all have to suffer for the sins of others. There are very legitimate reasons for blocking buyers but I'm afraid many buyers are simply using this to the detriment of the site as a whole, as the buyer has a negative experience (more often than not, an unjustified blocking) and then decides never to use bidorbuy again... before we introduced this feature, sellers had no ability to block people, and we introduced it with the proviso that should it be abused we would reconsider withdrawing it.

Okay........ I now understand! You neednt go on.......Its just a pity that we all have to suffer beacuse of some idiot sellers behaviour!

voldermort
Here are a few examples:

And yes, I agree that all those examples you gave are thoroughly ridiculous and these sellers are basically abusing the blocking facility, however then as CC said is it not possible to introduce a feature whereby a valid, reasonable reason needs to be given before you can block a buyer, and if needs be proof can be supplied ie: abusive emails etc?

Honestly Cuan, as sellers we have some very weird & also very vindictive buyers we encounter, doing away with the blocking facility after only 90 days is leaving these buyers free to harrass us constantly, which believe you me, they surely will.

kyle2
And yes, I agree that all those examples you gave are thoroughly ridiculous and these sellers are basically abusing the blocking facility, however then as CC said is it not possible to introduce a feature whereby a valid, reasonable reason needs to be given before you can block a buyer, and if needs be proof can be supplied ie: abusive emails etc?

Honestly Cuan, as sellers we have some very weird & also very vindictive buyers we encounter, doing away with the blocking facility after only 90 days is leaving these buyers free to harrass us constantly, which believe you me, they surely will.

Herein lies the pinch, vindictive and weird buyers are going to bide their time and pounce again when they get the chance. I think that the suggestion above with regards a reason for blocking is a very valid one and a good suggestion.

mellowred
Here are a few examples:

Cuan, the "reasons" you list above are just ridiculous, no-one would argue that. However the negative experience (I assume you are referring to new buyers) will be the same for the buyer whether he is permanently blocked or only for 3 months.

This just doesn't seem to be the best way to deal with the problem. Something should be done to restrict the sellers who block for the silly reasons above, and not the genuine good sellers who block a few for very genuine reasons.

Perhaps a "cooling off" period of a few days or so before you can block a buyer would work better. The petty things would be forgotten by then, but the really bad cases will stick in a persons memory and they will make a note to remind them to add the block when it is available.

kebs
Here are a few examples:

I agree these are not reasonable.. But can you guys not consider keeping the block provided an SNC has been completed? Then at least you know a seller is blocking for a valid reason?

Guest MacMuffin

Currently we allow sellers to block buyers who have done a purchase. This will change to where a SNC was filed with the buyer at fault which will allow sellers to legitemately block buyers. There is no need for a justification on the blocking as this would be apparent in the SNC history.

With regards to vindictive buyers: If I really want to stuff buyers around, I can just create as many new accounts as I like without having to wait 90 days. If someone really puts a "X" 90 days in the future to harass a seller, then our customer care team will resolve this (and perhaps a psych-eval is needed if someone hangs on to a gripe for 3 months).

voldermort
Currently we allow sellers to block buyers who have done a purchase. This will change to where a SNC was filed with the buyer at fault which will allow sellers to legitemately block buyers. There is no need for a justification on the blocking as this would be apparent in the SNC history.

Which is all very good but as said before, is doing away with the block after 3 monthes feasible, will these sellers attitude have changed?

If you have a look at some of the buyers I am blocking,most of them have - ratings, snc's filed & completed (some of these buyers are over a year old in blocked column & still with - ratings which means that nothing has changed for them) and yet they are still able to carry on buying on BoB......I SNC'd & blocked them for buggering me around the first time, I don't want them back.

Vinyl Lady Decals

If a buyer is blocked for an SNC, this should become a permanent block unless the seller decides otherwise.

Blocking for any other reason should be explained, perhaps with a radio-button choice such as we have when we need to delete a bid. A few standard reasons can be the choices and then BoB admin can investigate if any red flags come up.

Would this not be a better approach?