Sign in to follow this  
MacMuffin

Blocking of buyers

MacMuffin    0
MacMuffin

Hi all,

please take note, that we will introduce the following changes to the blocking of buyers functionality:

• Any block will be lifted after 90 days
  • You will only be able to block a buyer if the buyer transacted and a SNC with "Buyer at fault" was filed against the buyer in the last 60 days

This change has become necessary due to sellers abusing this feature at the moment.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

Thanks Mac much appreciated.

Mustlovebooks    10
Mustlovebooks

I can understand the whole logic behind this decision, but I am really not happy with this. I have only 4 buyers blocked and I have no intention of ever selling to them again and being abused via email (because they all have my details). So even if I delete their bids, it will be a mud-slinging affair.

And the buyers have completed and paid for the sales after SNCs filed and I had to retract. With one buyer it happened numerous times and only then I blocked her. I really do not want to deal with those buyers again.

Sellers who block left, right and centre only do it to their own detrement. The ones who block buyers with good reason, do it for their own piece of mind.

Edited by Mustlovebooks

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

Maybe a limitation on the amount of sellers you can block is a better plan - I can only imagine an instance of, once a buyer finds themselves unblocked, they play games with a seller again, only this time more seriously as they may feel they have an axe to grind because they were blocked in the first place....

I understand that people may be abusing the blocking system but perhaps limiting the number you are able to block might work? Then a seller needs to unblock someone who wasn't really that bad in order to block a real meanie... And sellers will think twice about blocking left, right and center because their numbers are limited...

Just a thought...

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Or give us at least 180 days (as opposed to 90 days) with a blocked buyer, perhaps?

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

This new "innovation" makes no sense to me at all. Why would I as a seller block a buyer who provides me with income for no reason? I would block a buyer for the following reasons :

1) If a buyer was abusive to me.

2) If a buyer fails to meet my terms.

3) If a buyer is a nuisance. There is a saying I prescribe to and that is "not all business is good business".

4) If a buyer rates me unjustly.

I am sorry but if it is being abused by certain sellers take those sellers to task and dont implement things that effect all users who use the system properly.

Am I the only seller who feels that this is just not right? I think not!

Edited by Seeds for Africa
Deleted something as I dont want Bob to get any more frightfully clever ideas!

wayjen    10
wayjen

Whilst we at this how about reducing the time that a person can rate another. The time at the moment is a year.

I suggest people take note who is on their list so if that person tries their stunts again you can delete their bids.

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa
Whilst we at this how about reducing the time that a person can rate another. The time at the moment is a year.

I suggest people take note who is on their list so if that person tries their stunts again you can delete their bids.

I second this and I second the multiple suggestions that have been made that before a buyer can rate negative or neutral they need to be asked the question as to whether they have contacted the seller to try and resolve the issue!

booksallsizes    10
booksallsizes

I think it's high time for Bob send out a questionnaire to sellers to see what people would like and what they wouldn't. Instead of just saying "It won't work", why not see what other people think... I think most of the innovations are great but every now and then a decision is just made without any debate - and it would appear to be annoying a lot of sellers no end...

I know we have the "feedback" section - but what about those sellers who don't make use of the forum?

Not1CentMore    10
Not1CentMore
This new "innovation" makes no sense to me at all. Why would I as a seller block a buyer who provides me with income for no reason? I would block a buyer for the following reasons :

1) If a buyer was abusive to me.

2) If a buyer fails to meet my terms.

3) If a buyer is a nuisance. There is a saying I prescribe to and that is "not all business is good business".

4) If a buyer rates me unjustly.

I am sorry but if it is being abused by certain sellers take those sellers to task and dont implement things that effect all users who use the system properly.

Am I the only seller who feels that this is just not right? I think not!

As they say here, "Reckon I must be daft" 'cause I don't understand how the 'Block Buyer' function can be abused / misused.

I block when:

Buyer bids/wins/bales and a SNC is filed. Terms are noted in auction (payment due 3-days). If by day 7 Buyer hasn't paid and/or made arrangements to pay, they are notified via BoB's message system: "item is no longer available; relisted" and SNC is filed.

Not sure your side, but here 'stick and morter' businesses have the right to 'refuse service' to anyone...that 'right' is used for folk who can't 'do right' when in their establishments. A business would soon close it's doors if it 'willy-nilly' refused service 'just because'. Same here, why would ANY Seller block a Buyer who 'does the right thing'?

I respect the decisons made by BoB staff (heaven knows they have 'more between their ears' than I), but some, like this one, I do not understand.

Ruthie

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I only block buyers for non-payment or abusive communication.

Those I have blocked, I have no wish to do business with again.

I feel that sellers should also be consulted before these changes are just unilaterally made so that we can also come up with some suggestions. 90 days is way too short considering how some buyers behave on this site.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

I only block buyers for non-payment or abusive communication.

Those I have blocked, I have no wish to do business with again.

I feel that sellers should also be consulted before these changes are just unilaterally made so that we can also come up with some suggestions. 90 days is way too short considering how some buyers behave on this site.At one stage, I chose to unblock buyers after a certain period and what happened? Some of these buyers promptly bought or won bids again and didn't pay - no surprise there - so then I had to block them all over again.

wayjen    10
wayjen

We all block for a reason. You cannot block someone because their name appeared on the forum as a deadbeat payer.

Mustlovebooks    10
Mustlovebooks

Shouldn't we be asked before-hand regarding this in stead of just being told that this is how things are going to work in future? We are the ones having to deal with abusive buyers who haven't kept their end of the bargain.

If I can only block a buyer after I have filed a SNC and it was determined that he is at fault, what about the people stringing us along time and time again and only after a SNC has been filed, they all of a sudden decide to pay and I have to retract the SNC? They can't be blocked - I don't think that is fair. I don't block a buyer after this has happened once. But after the second, third and fourth time - I block them and it must be for ever.

qball    11
qball

Unfortunately there are too many sellers abusing this facility. We also cannot discuss, ask or consult users every time we want to do something or make a change... we would never get anything accomplished. Sorry... :smile1: it is detrimental to the site as a whole.

Cali Craft and Gems    10
Cali Craft and Gems

As a seller who has been on the receiving end of abuse, threats, etc I am not happy with this "new" decision! It has gone as far as some buyers seeking out my physical address and landline phone number to harass me and threaten me, and I've had a blocked buyer at my gate giving me hell too.

There is usually a very valid reason why the seller will block a buyer and why waste your time blocking the buyer in the first place if BoB comes along and unlocks the gate for them regardless on what transpired?

When it comes to my personal / physical safety, I do not wish to be put at risk. I've blocked certain buyers for a reason and that reason will remain firm endlessly. (non-payment, various threats, etc)

qball    11
qball
As a seller who has been on the receiving end of abuse, threats, etc I am not happy with this "new" decision! It has gone as far as some buyers seeking out my physical address and landline phone number to harass me and threaten me, and I've had a blocked buyer at my gate giving me hell too.

There is usually a very valid reason why the seller will block a buyer and why waste your time blocking the buyer in the first place if BoB comes along and unlocks the gate for them regardless on what transpired?

When it comes to my personal / physical safety, I do not wish to be put at risk. I've blocked certain buyers for a reason and that reason will remain firm endlessly. (non-payment, various threats, etc)

Unfortunately you don't have a choice anymore - as a seller you are required to supply the buyer with your contact details, including address as per the CPA. Whilst this is a real concern for many sellers, there does not appear to be any way around this. Blocking a buyer will not stop this. Whilst you may have valid reasons for blocking a buyer, as stated this is again being abused by the majority of sellers, which is detrimental to the site as a whole.

voldermort    10
voldermort

I really don't understand this at all..........I have buyers blocked, the majority with minus ratings who I have had to snc, the rest are buyers I do not wish to deal with due to abusive behaviour etc. After 3 monthes will they miraculously change their attitude? Ha, I think after 3 monthes they will then have a very big ax to grind especially seeing as they were blocked in the first place.

Most shops have little "Rights Of Admission Reserved "signs above their doors, surely we should have that same right?

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Well, the way I see it, if the decision's made, why doesn't BoB just remove the facility altogether and go back to what it was before the facility was there. i don't see the point of blocking a buyer if this is just reversed a few months later. a totally pointless exercise then.

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Another thought that just struck me, we might as well not block anybody then, as buyers will wait until they are automatically unblocked then "buy" again in order to give sellers negative ratings for no other reason than they were blocked in the first place.

Sorry, just saw that voldermort said the same thing.

Edited by Vinyl Lady Decals
a-ha moment

wayjen    10
wayjen

More paperwork for BoB.

catzcan    10
catzcan
Well, the way I see it, if the decision's made, why doesn't BoB just remove the facility altogether and go back to what it was before the facility was there. i don't see the point of blocking a buyer if this is just reversed a few months later. a totally pointless exercise then.

I totally agree with you Tananka!! Why bother at all. Most of the buyers I blocked, Had successful SNC's filed. One or 2 I retracted because they paid all of a sudden. The latest one the Buyer appealed the SNC - reason - No funds to pay - the appeal was rejected by Bob. The one befor that is a buyer with, at that time 76% rating who seems to be buying a whole lot of things at a time and the choosing the ones that she;s going to pay - a clear pattern on her side and yet she is allowed to continue - like the similar items change = totally senseless but again I don't think we're going to have a choice are we? Why not name the sellers who abuse this function or issue them with warnings etc.

mellowred    10
mellowred
Not sure your side, but here 'stick and morter' businesses have the right to 'refuse service' to anyone...that 'right' is used for folk who can't 'do right' when in their establishments. A business would soon close it's doors if it 'willy-nilly' refused service 'just because'. Same here, why would ANY Seller block a Buyer who 'does the right thing'?

This is a fact BoB.

A seller cannot block a buyer just because he doesn't like his user name. From what I understand, you have to have dealt with the buyer to be able to block him.

I can see future SNCs and bad ratings sky-rocketing due to spiteful buys when the 90 day ban is lifted.

Miss Jewels    10
Miss Jewels

I've read all the comments now I'm going to ask a "dumb" question: How can (are) sellers abuse the blocking system?

You have the right to sell to whom you want. You will surely only block a buyer once you've dealt with them and the deal turned sour/non-fullfilment/call it what you want (isn't this how it currently is?). Otherwise you're taking away your own income. Yes, at any shop there is "right of admission reserved" and at our company, we reserve the right to turn away a customer with a bad attitude or if we don't want to take the job on or we've dealt with him before and had problems. Then surely the same applies here? If a specific seller is abusing this system, block him/her for a period of time (cooling down period) and I'm confident that the system abuse will stop. Punish the guilty....:idea:

hildat    10
hildat

While the BLOCK will drop off in 90 days, how about negative

Ratings dropping off in let's say 12-24 months?