Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
StanM69

Setting first bid value

5 posts in this topic

I have been looking at various auctions which appear to start at R1 with no reserve and bid increments of say R10. When one clicks the "bid now" button it says enter R11 or more. Does this mean that the advertiser is placing own bid at R1, as the R1 starting bid is never available to the buyer, only the next incremental bid price?

I stand to be corrected but that means that someone has already placed a bid of R1.00 and the next bid will be R11.00. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page and it should show that someone has already bid R1.00...

Thanks for your reply. You are correct, for every item listed the same buyer makes a R1 bid.

Yes, Retailrush. You are quite correct.

StanM69 - if the same buyer makes a bid of R1.00 for every item listed, that buyer is in for a hard time when having to pay all the postage on the various items and will get his/her fingers burnt.

If the same buyer is bidding on a certain seller's items all the time, that could be shill-bidding and needs to be reported to commuinitywatch@bidorbuy.co.za when you come across it.

I have to add that I have 1 or 2 regular buyers that places R1 bid on most of my items and then keep an eye on them that way. They are also the type of buyers that most of the time rarely bid very high but are in for the LUCKY R1 wins....

Yes I appreciate that can happen. I just thought that maybe a seller was starting an auction at R1 and then somehow set the next bid to be at a higher figure. As explained, it does appear that the auction has attracted bids at R1. Thanks again to all for prompt feedback.