Sign in to follow this  
Lukeness

Cape colony national rifle assoc 1911

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

Can anyone here help me with information on this medallion?

I've attached pics of the medallion, its box and close-ups of the hallmarks.

img678921.th.jpg

img678922.th.jpg

img678910.th.jpg

img678907.th.jpg

Edited by Lukeness
added images

Pierre_Henri    14
Pierre_Henri

The medal was struck in 1911 (small letter "m") in .925 Sterling Silver (Lion passant) in Birmingham (anker)

What is very interesting is that the date it was struck in (1911) corresponds with the date it was issued (also 1911). Usualy these medals are struck in a certain year and then issued for the next 10 or so years, so this is a "first year" of issue.

On the down side, as far as I can see, no name is given for the recipient, so it is an un-issued medal - that certainly has a negative impact on its "value"

As far as the Cape Colony Rifle Association is concerned, I am sure there are some Googleable sources available, but the "Eastern branch" should be a tough one - could be the Port Elizabeth / East London area?

These medals were issued for marksmen of that period, and many of them entered the First World War (as an example in this case) three years later in 1914, so its a pity that the medal is not "named" as that would make the tracing of the recipient rather easy, as WW1 scrolls are fairly accessiable through the British War offfice records of that period.

It would probaly sell for around R300 if offered on Bid-or-Buy.

Kind regards

Pierre

Lukeness    10
Lukeness

Thanks Pierre,

I appreciate your insight. The coin came from an auction in the Eastern Cape so this could fit your "Eastern Branch" suggestion.

I haven't got an exact weight, but I had assumed that the value of the processed silver weight alone would make it worth more than that.

Pity. lol.

I agree, although I am a numismatic neophyte I appreciate the additional historical significance had it been "named". Much more interesting than bullion!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
The medal was struck in 1911 (small letter "m") in .925 Sterling Silver (Lion passant) in Birmingham (anker)

What is very interesting is that the date it was struck in (1911) corresponds with the date it was issued (also 1911). Usualy these medals are struck in a certain year and then issued for the next 10 or so years, so this is a "first year" of issue.

On the down side, as far as I can see, no name is given for the recipient, so it is an un-issued medal - that certainly has a negative impact on its "value"

As far as the Cape Colony Rifle Association is concerned, I am sure there are some Googleable sources available, but the "Eastern branch" should be a tough one - could be the Port Elizabeth / East London area?

These medals were issued for marksmen of that period, and many of them entered the First World War (as an example in this case) three years later in 1914, so its a pity that the medal is not "named" as that would make the tracing of the recipient rather easy, as WW1 scrolls are fairly accessiable through the British War offfice records of that period.

It would probaly sell for around R300 if offered on Bid-or-Buy.

Kind regards

Pierre

East London area is known as The Kaffararian Rifles, for ease of reference.