Sign in to follow this  
Cash in the Attic

Opinions Please..

Cash in the Attic    10
Cash in the Attic

Morning Collectors

I bought this coin from a very well known Johannesburg Dealer a few months ago....it was described as a 1969 " Alternate Language " Proof - Like One Rand Piece..

Looking at the following Images, would you agree that the coin is indeed Proof Like...

Regards

Cash in the Attic    10
Cash in the Attic

Apologies...i just realized that i listed the incorect photos : )

Pierre_Henri    10
Pierre_Henri

Can you show the pics please - we will try to help you.

craigg123    10
craigg123

Not sure what they meant by "alternate language" but the 1969 PROOF R1 was only minted in Afrikaans with a mintage figure of 12000 and the circulation Afrikaans R1 a mintage of 517954. I am by no means an expert but the toning on the obverse looks like it is a proof coin, maybe someone else can give their opinion?

Pierre_Henri    10
Pierre_Henri

According to Hern, opposite language coins do exist in proof-like condition. These coins were struck by the families of the Presidents at special seremonies at the Mint. Hern states that no official mintage figures exist but the numbers are very small and consequently very rare. "Huge prices are often asked for these pieces but seldom paid by collectors".

A figure of R21 500 is stated for the proof-like 1969 R1 in English.

What I do not understand, is that according to Hern, complete alternate language short proof sets in blue SAM cases were issued AND prooflike sets in an unmarked blue leatherette case were issued consisting of BOTH the language rands of 1969.

So apart from those that the "president's families" struck on ocassions at the mint, there are two more sources for these English R1 proof-like coins being those found in the rare blue SAM cases and those in the twins sets.

Or did I misunderstood Hern? See page 271 of his last year's catalogue.

Pierre

Pierre

ATOMICSQUIRREL    10
ATOMICSQUIRREL

scan0028.jpg.a3a5c6cc1b59da1aaa21500d6d069e26.jpg

scan0029.jpg.60971feb343c365fbbf17d7826d00c97.jpg

Don't mind the bottom 2 coins, what can you tell me about the top coin regarding proofs and plain coins because i am confused now.:blink:

Pierre_Henri    10
Pierre_Henri
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2257[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2258[/ATTACH]

Don't mind the bottom 2 coins, what can you tell me about the top coin regarding proofs and plain coins because i am confused now.:blink:

I don't think your top coin is a proof. The picture looks like a scan and not a digital photograph and when one scan a proof R1 (or any other proof coin struck in silver), it usually looks "different" - almost as if has been cleaned and very shiny. Your coin does not give that mirror-like appearence and looks like a normal business strike (non proof)

But it is always difficult to tell from pictures, so rather have an expert look at it '- if you know one nearby to were you stay.

Regards

Pierre

kyle2    10
kyle2

The English proof that I have seen has a beautiful mercury mirror like finish, exactly like the Afrikaans proof I have. The coin depicted in the pic above is either a like proof or an uncirculated coin. I have 1 left in the identical condition.