Sign in to follow this  
wayjen

What is this or what do you call it?

wayjen    10
wayjen

Please guys I want to list this item at some stage but have no idea what to call it. Does anyone have any knowledge on this item please?

It is a cloth in a frame which looks like WW2 images on it. There is a sticker attached which has a name and a date. The pilot was killed in action on D. Day 1944.

Any info will be appreciated.

Thank you en Baie Dankie.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

It's a World War 2 propaganda handkerchief as far as I know - also called a "you never know who's listening" handkerchief. Rather a collectable item methinks!

wayjen    10
wayjen

really?????????????

Thanks MsPlod let me go look on the www if I can find that info cause I been looking at WW2 cloths of all things.

Maybe I will get rich on a Buy Now.

mellowred    10
mellowred

Very interesting find Wayne. Let us know when you list so I can see what you found.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Hi Mandy, if it wasn't for Ms PWCPlod I would still be searching for tea cloths. I have found 1 in a museum and 2 on Ebay. Made from silk in 1943. I emailed the museum to try get more info but so far the info I have is very interesting. The R.A.F. pilot killed on D-Day in 1944 is another story I am trying to find.

mellowred    10
mellowred

I also did a quick search for him, as well as Mrs La Grange. Any luck yet?

wayjen    10
wayjen

thanks man.

na, gave it up for now, will look maybe tomorrow again. Scanning some books now but see some I want to read amongst the lot, where am I gonna find the time????

mellowred    10
mellowred

Hell, I haven't sat with a book in ages. Try to read at night when I get into bed but that doesn't last long before my lids drop.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Thats like me too. I have a pile of books next to my bed and I read a sentence then snore the rest of the page.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink
Hi Mandy, if it wasn't for Ms PWCPlod I would still be searching for tea cloths. I have found 1 in a museum and 2 on Ebay. Made from silk in 1943. I emailed the museum to try get more info but so far the info I have is very interesting. The R.A.F. pilot killed on D-Day in 1944 is another story I am trying to find.

Trust you to think of "tea" cloths!

wayjen    10
wayjen

either that or doilies!

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

Phew - my eyes are boggling from googling! Have tried just about every variation of the information on your pics - but just cannot trace a William Bass KIA 6 June 1944. Even tried this site - :: CWGC :: which is AMAZING! But no luck. Tried many variations on the fellow's name - tried variations on Petersbourgh (i.e. Peterborough and Petersborough), etc. etc. and no joy.

I GIVE UP LOL!! Good luck to you mate! I'm off to sleep so soon! Just one quick stop off to check on BoB first Bwah hah hah!

mellowred    10
mellowred

CWGC must be wondering why on earth they are getting so many SA hits all of a sudden. :biggrin:

wayjen    10
wayjen

Morning all. Thanks MsP I also sukkeled to get his name and place kept getting variations of both maybe he was a German spy.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod

One thing I did find out was that a lot of different squadrons (American, New Zealand, Rhodesia, etc) were based at the Kings cliffe (Kingscliffe) RAF base about 12 miles outside of Peterborough. So you may find that William Bass was not British...

wayjen    10
wayjen
One thing I did find out was that a lot of different squadrons (American, New Zealand, Rhodesia, etc) were based at the Kings cliffe (Kingscliffe) RAF base about 12 miles outside of Peterborough. So you may find that William Bass was not British...

You may have something there. He may have been South African for all we know if I go according to the name of the person on the sticker. I have another plan now. This item and another I have not listed and another War picture I have on BoB all come from the local MOTHS so maybe I must start there.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

How about a neckkerchief? Do a search on a neckkerchief being a pilot he might of worn this while flying? Especially if it is silk

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I think Gogga means a cravat?

wayjen    10
wayjen

Good idea, what I did was look at various R.A.F. Bases in England and variations in the name given. I got Peterborough without the "S" and there was a base there so I am thinking I am dealing with a spelling error here. I still have no info on the pilot. So what I Have found is that there are a couple in a museum and a couple on eBay I just don't know how scarce these are now and what price to list it at.