Sign in to follow this  
staccato

What do I do with all these stamps?

staccato

Hi everyone, I have tons of stamps (inherited). I might be sitting on a gold mine, I don't know, I know absolutely zilch zero about stamps nor do I have any interest in collecting. Every time I look for something, I find all of these stamps. The collection is from many parts of the world but mainly from the Rhodesia's, UK and South Africa. I would like to auction these stamps. How I get values etc? Don't want spend big bucks on a catalog of sorts, as this would also become a "white elephant" I would greatly appreciate some help!

wayjen

Go to a library and ask for the books otherwise ask the people here to help identify. Good Luck, thank goodness it's not me.

MsPlod

There is also a LOT of information on internet - use google to help. Are the stamps all sorted or jumbled? If jumbled, at least sort into countries, denominations and dates as a start. Good luck!

Edited by MsPlod

lilythepink

You could also send a PM to kit w - he may be able to help you and even if he can't, there is no harm in asking!

staccato

There are so many, I think I should group them into 5's or 10's and put them up for auction on Wednesdays. What is the best way to package stamps for shipping?

Edited by staccato

wayjen
There are so many, I think I should group them into 5's or 10's and put them up for auction on Wednesdays. What is the best way to package stamps for shipping?

On an envelope.

staccato
On an envelope.

On or in... duh! Thought there is some sort of norm (ie; special whatever's) for shipping stamps. Only asking so I know what to charge for shipping. Think I will ship the items in a ziplock bag and add a piece of cardboard to avoid folding and damage. Thanks all for the input and especially to Wayne! lol!

lilythepink

Well, staccato, you could invite one of the ladies to come and help you sort your stamps.

In my day, men used to invite ladies over to "see my etchings".

You could have a whole new take on it though! :rolleyes:

alloway65

Go to the Stanley Gibbons website stamp valuations are free via their on-line catalogue.

staccato
Well, staccato, you could invite one of the ladies to come and help you sort your stamps.

In my day, men used to invite ladies over to "see my etchings".

You could have a whole new take on it though! :rolleyes:

Now your'e cooking with gas! Dunno how much sorting will be done though...

staccato
Go to the Stanley Gibbons website stamp valuations are free via their on-line catalogue.

Many thanks, will do!

wayjen

Please tell me more about this online site as Jenny loves stamps and maybe she can use that site for her work.