Sign in to follow this  
arctor

Misuse of "discrete" to disguise shenanigans.

arctor

Some art is sold as "discrete" to make it more difficult to spot the seller's shenanigans. The usefulness of open and honest information has already been demonstrated.

What's your position BOB? Do you allow sellers to use the “discrete” option to disguise their activities?

“Items can be made 'Discreet' in various situations, such as when 'Adult Items' are listed, which could be embarrassing for buyers or bidders.”

This listing, for example, is discrete but depicts some flowers apparently painted by Claerhout. There ought to be no embarrassment bidding for an original piece of art depicting flowers. What's the real purpose of the “discrete” listing?

Edited by arctor

kyle2

Anyone willing to wager money that the next few weeks will see a radical discovery of "Freshly discovered"(and painted) Claerhout flower paintings?:biggrin:

PS. I am not disputing the authenticity of this painting below, but maybe the versions which are about to blossom soon.

Oils - Stunning Original F. Claerhout Flowers in Stunning Frame...painting 300 x 300 mm for sale in Hennenman (ID:49426322)

Edited by kyle2

lilythepink

I agree with Kyle2 - we will be seeing a lot more paintings popping out of the woodwork (the coffin, I mean) in the future! Oh dear.

TS Ron

Damn I am truly smoking something must check with my family! Maybe they sneaking something into my drinks of lately. Did Father Claerhout paint flowers? I do believe he did paint sunflowers?

Edited by TS Ron

booksallsizes

He did paint flowers, but very 'discretely' :ninja:

Jongleur

strange too how the "oilwash" artworks simply vanished. donkeys in oil and acrylic have been scarce and so have flowers.

and a sudden rise in charcoals. a number of new sellers.

maybe the minister of arts and culture should declare bloemfontein as south africas art capital. the emblem can be a donkey

eating a bunch of flowers next to a skew house.

booksallsizes

maybe the minister of arts and culture should declare bloemfontein as south africas art capital. the emblem can be a donkey

eating a bunch of flowers next to a skew house.

With this little sign below...

58f5a72a595db_wetpaint.jpg.b3f2012b46edff344e5e86f92198f889.jpg

Edited by booksallsizes

Jongleur

problem is you dont get wet charcoals. or is this the solution to wet paint?

Seeds for Africa

Dont worry........... the spirit of Claerhout can paint anything you want.......... with his signature!:bigsmile:

Jongleur

the minister will be delighted to have this information. she can commission artworks for every government office in the country, present them as gifts, trade them (instead of cheap rhino horns) , swap them for submarines - all in the spirit of art.

MiemsJewels

What is the possibility that Claerhout is still alive, and only pretend to be dead, so he can get higher prices for his paintings? Like in "Dallas" where poor old Bobby never died but all that happened was only just a dream??

Jongleur

doubtful.the minister would be extremely irate. the minister of correctional services, however, will happily

become involved.

ChrizHan

Julle maak my SIEK!! Neem asb. julle AAKLIGE GEVOLGTREKKINGE op met Keith Johns.....Kyk of hy so gelukkig gaan wees oor julle skinderveldtogte!!! ek sal te skaam wees om my naam te noem as ek so ligsinnig was soos julle, SIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChrizHan

Hi Len, ek het nooit gedink jy sal jou uitgee vir sulke ligsinnigheid nie, nog altyd gedink jy is n gentleman......

ChrizHan

Ek het al my dikreete afgehaal...TEVREDE!!

hoekom bevraagteken julle nie my ander skilderye ook nie?, want ek se mos ek verkoop net oorspronklike skilderye......

Toe julle geslaap het het ek skilderye gekoop......los my nou uit!! ek is so #$##%^% vir julle gesoek na iets.....

ek weet wie ek is en ek weet wat ek het.....en is nie skaam oor enigiets nie......EN EK VRA JULLE NIKS.......

lilythepink

Hi ChrizHan

Take some deep breaths and calm down. You cannot be unaware of all the Claerhout forgeries which abound throughout SA, including on Bid or Buy, and when people are upset or angry it is better that jokes are made so people can laugh instead of gnashing their teeth.

Old Father Claerhout must be turning in his grave at all the variations of his signature on paintings which people declare are authentically his!

ChrizHan

Dit is uiters SWAK SMAAK om Vader Claerhout te gebruik vir julle grappies.....

mellowred
Ek het al my dikreete afgehaal...TEVREDE!!

hoekom bevraagteken julle nie my ander skilderye ook nie?, want ek se mos ek verkoop net oorspronklike skilderye......

Toe julle geslaap het het ek skilderye gekoop......los my nou uit!! ek is so #$##%^% vir julle gesoek na iets.....

ek weet wie ek is en ek weet wat ek het.....en is nie skaam oor enigiets nie......EN EK VRA JULLE NIKS.......

Out of sheer curiosity ChrisHan, why do you list these as Discrete?

And, as LillyThePink said, surely you are not oblivious to the fact that 1,000s of forgeries are floating about. As a reputable seller, are you not also annoyed that these forgeries are causing people to question your authenticated works?

No-one on the forum is mocking Father Claerhout; the people selling the, still wet, forgeries are.

TS Ron

Actually I have not seen where Father Claerhout is joked about as mentioned there is alot of forged copies. In fact non was attacked here as far as I am concerned you ChrizHan came and threw his toys out of the cot! For what ever reason you may have I do not know. With getting so angry I have heard the saying in Afrikaans waar daar 'n rokie trek is daar 'n vuur?

Edited by TS Ron

ertjiesjonk

:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Maybe you enjoyed too much red/white wine. Discreet is for a purpose and some buyers want to be respected and prefer it.

mellowred
:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:Maybe you enjoyed too much red/white wine. Discreet is for a purpose and some buyers want to be respected and prefer it.

Bit early in the day for red or white wine.

I understand there is a purpose for discrete listings. I don't understand listing the majority of Father Claerhout's works as discrete, and then a more valuable Nicky Van Rensburg as non-discrete.

lilythepink
Dit is uiters SWAK SMAAK om Vader Claerhout te gebruik vir julle grappies.....

Dear ChrizHan.

I'm sorry you are so on the defensive and I can't help but wonder why?

It is the people who are selling forged Claerhout pictures (I do not call forgeries "artworks") who are denigrating and defaming poor old Father Claerhout! THEY are the ones we are mad at and make jokes about - not the dear old Father!

The wet paintings and copycat sketches supposedly done by him from the grave are making everyone suspicious and cross. Sorry, but that is the truth of the matter.

ChrizHan

kry vir jou........ha ha ha

nou laat jy my rerig lag........

koop of loop, dit is so makilk soos dit.......

ChrizHan

beskou dit as afgehandel.........