Sign in to follow this  
jjdakotas

Item getting returned to sender

jjdakotas    10
jjdakotas

Hi there

I've been selling pretty successfully for the last few months, but just today I've had a slight problem which I'm needing advice for.

I sold a few items in August - items where sent from the UK via tracked airmail. I gave the buyer the tracking number at the time and told them that once the item has been marked by Royal Mail as arriving in South Africa he will be able to contact the South African Post Office to get a local tracking number to track the item further.

I've not heard anything from him until today.

He states that the item hasn't arrived, and he has lost his tracking number so I gave him the tracking number again and he then contacts the post office who state that the item was waiting for him at the post office but as it wasn't collected in time it is now getting returned to me in the UK. He states that the post office never informed him that the parcel was waiting on him.

He has now asked that once the parcel arrives back to me - I have to resend the parcel.

My question is Who pays for the extra shipping cost?

Many Thanks

Thomas

Little Miss Muffet    20
Little Miss Muffet

I am sure these slips the post office send to inform a person of a parcel waiting at the post office get lost in the postmans bag.

It would probably be a good idea to ask the seller to check the tracking if he/she has not rated you after a period of time--under 1 month.

The post office will keep a parcel for a month before it is returned.

The buyer is responsible for the postage.

wayjen    10
wayjen

Hi jjdakota

This is a sore point. The buyer should pay again for postage. If it is returned you have to go fetch it and pay for it.

The seller is responsible for the postage not the buyer. The post office seldom, if at all, send out those little notices. I seems tracking numbers are a kind of receipt for buyers as once they have it they do not use it for what it is intended to be used for ie CHECK ON THEIR PARCEL!

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

I agree with geewhizz and wayjen. Additional postage is the buyer's responsibility, sadly.

Gixy123    11
Gixy123

Aaargh! I have just had the same problem!?

Buyer's parcel was mailed in September and I notified him about the tracking number AND website on which he can track & trace his parcel. On Monday the parcel was returned to me, reason stated on the parcel is 'Parcel unclaimed'. I contacted the buyer, explaining that he'd unfortunately had to pay for postage again. Later on Monday evening I was greeted with the following response: "I'm not impressed at having to pay for postage again when the package didn't even seem to arrive here." He promptly supplied me with a new address (not in the same region, strangely enough).

Yet again - fearing a negative rating, I mailed his parcel and paid for postage.

How do we handle situations like this? Just refuse to mail/resend parcels until the difference is paid? Seriously - really trying very hard to be understanding, but if people don't collect their parcels (for whatever reason!), how can they expect us as sellers to just keep mailing it (on our account!) to them until they DO collect it? Ofcourse, buyers can always track & trace on the website. In this case the buyer never even contacted me/informed me that the parcel hasn't arrived yet.

Aai-jaai-jaai....:confused:

Vinyl Lady Decals    10
Vinyl Lady Decals

Hi Gixy

The buyer is obliged to pay for the second postage if they want the item, you can prove that the parcel did arrive at their previous address by copying and pasting the tracking into the email. BoB will be able to check and see when the buyer changed the postal address on BoB, and can see what the previous address was. If you get a negative, you can appeal it using the tracking details.

This is part of the email that I send buyers with their tracking numbers;

"Please ensure that you collect your parcel timeously. Your post office will keep your parcel for you for one month before they send it back to me.

If that happens, you will need to pay postage so that I can post it again.

I will inform you (via email) if your parcel is returned to my post office."

Since I have had this in my emails, I have no further comebacks and buyers are quite happy to pay for postage again to receive their item, it has also cut down on the number of returned parcels.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron
Hi jjdakota

This is a sore point. The buyer should pay again for postage. If it is returned you have to go fetch it and pay for it.

The seller is responsible for the postage not the buyer. The post office seldom, if at all, send out those little notices. I seems tracking numbers are a kind of receipt for buyers as once they have it they do not use it for what it is intended to be used for ie CHECK ON THEIR PARCEL!

No Wayjen I do not agree with you. I have been tracking a parcel sent to me apparently the post office said they put the first note into my postbox on the 1 st November I did not receive any slip. This parcel can not be found right now as I printed the tracking slip from the post office website we took the post office. So if they repost this parcel to the sender I am going to force the post office to repost the parcel for free of charge. At times it is not the buyer that is to blame and I am so angry about this evening I want to murder honestly.

wayjen    10
wayjen
No Wayjen I do not agree with you. I have been tracking a parcel sent to me apparently the post office said they put the first note into my postbox on the 1 st November I did not receive any slip. This parcel can not be found right now as I printed the tracking slip from the post office website we took the post office. So if they repost this parcel to the sender I am going to force the post office to repost the parcel for free of charge. At times it is not the buyer that is to blame and I am so angry about this evening I want to murder honestly.

okay so what part of my post don't you agree with?

Seeds for Africa    10
Seeds for Africa

The simplest way to avoid this issue is to say the following when confirming the customers order " Please keep an eye on the tracking. The Post Officecan sadly take up to 10 days to notify you of arrivals or they don’t notifyrecipients at all, hence you may need to visit your post office with thetracking number to get your items.

Please alsonote that the Post office only hold parcels for 30 days whereafter they arereturned to sender."

staccato    10
staccato
I agree with geewhizz and wayjen. Additional postage is the buyer's responsibility, sadly.

I also agree, the whole idea of providing a tracking number is for the buyer to monitor progress on the delivery, the onus is on the buyer to do this in order to be sure the item is received.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

Wayjen unfortunately when that parcel is posted I can no longer control it except to track it. I sorted out my parcel from my side as the tracking webpage shows the first notification is in my post box which I had not received. This happens to alot of clients I think. But I was not going to whine to the buyer or give a negative rating it was something I had to sort out myself. The staff in the post office reply to this was that they could not find the parcel? I was not going to let and went to the post office I called them a few times a day in order to find this parcel.

wayjen    10
wayjen
Wayjen unfortunately when that parcel is posted I can no longer control it except to track it. I sorted out my parcel from my side as the tracking webpage shows the first notification is in my post box which I had not received. This happens to alot of clients I think. But I was not going to whine to the buyer or give a negative rating it was something I had to sort out myself. The staff in the post office reply to this was that they could not find the parcel? I was not going to let and went to the post office I called them a few times a day in order to find this parcel.

So what part of my post did you not agree with?

If a seller sends a parcel out they send a tracking number to the buyer. The buyer can/must/is supposed to track their parcel. At any stage the buyer can take the tracking number to the post office. If the buyer does not collect the parcel sitting at the PO, after a month it is returned to the seller.

The seller has 2 options.

1) Leave the parcel at the PO.

2) collect said parcel at the PO.

Should they collect. They must drive there. They must pay for the parcel. They must repack the parcel if the buyer wants it back. They must pay at the PO to resend it to the buyer.

Someone must pay for this??

Edited by wayjen

gypseygirl    10
gypseygirl

Gogga and the fairy, when I had the same thing happen (tracking said first notice issued) and I went to the post office to collect and they told me it was not there, I told them to check the web, they did and saw that it said it was at their Post Office Branch, they just said "It's not here" and I said "Well I will just wait until it is here" and they said come back in a few days time and I said NO I will wait right here at the Counter until it is found, they were very angry, but both counter staff and the branch manageress went looking for the parcel because they wanted to go home and I refused to leave without my parcel, well 10 minutes later I had my parcel

wayjen    10
wayjen
Gogga and the fairy, when I had the same thing happen (tracking said first notice issued) and I went to the post office to collect and they told me it was not there, I told them to check the web, they did and saw that it said it was at their Post Office Branch, they just said "It's not here" and I said "Well I will just wait until it is here" and they said come back in a few days time and I said NO I will wait right here at the Counter until it is found, they were very angry, but both counter staff and the branch manageress went looking for the parcel because they wanted to go home and I refused to leave without my parcel, well 10 minutes later I had my parcel

There you go.

I tracked a parcel from Cape Town to Florida, USA. Told my daughter it is in the PO. She goes there and they say no it is not. I take a screenshot of the parcel at USPS office and armed with this she went in the next day and made them look for it and yes it was there.

A tracking number is NOT A RECEIPT it is a tracking number to track a parcel.

wayjen    10
wayjen

let me tell you our latest run in with returned parcels.

The buyer bought the item and as usual we sent tracking number etc. Days later get rated negative cause the tracking number does not work and the parcel has not reached the buyer yet. Within seconds I tracked the parcel with the very same number to the buyers closest post office. I took a screen shot of this and we responded to the buyer as to when the parcel got there and where it was. The buyer still did not fetch the parcel after we sent her emails to tell her where it is and after a month it was returned to us. The buyer contacted us and we told her to pay postage as we had to now go fetch the parcel and pay for it at the post office.

Now read this next part carefully.

The buyer reported us to BoB saying and I quote "questionable ethics" as we sent it to the wrong post office and that the parcel was resent to Howard Centre post office and that we asked for more money to resend it to her.

The buyer lied through her teeth to BoB because we sent it to the address given by her and the post office at Howard Centre is the return address. We went out our way to inform via email where the parcel was at any given time aswell as supplying screenshots.

Is it my fault that the buyer is as ignorant as a doorknob, and like her to question our ethics , I question her intelligence.

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

Wayjen this is revenge rating? How could bob even except an complaint such as this? How on earth shall it benefit you the seller to repost items?

wayjen    10
wayjen
Wayjen this is revenge rating? How could bob even except an complaint such as this? How on earth shall it benefit you the seller to repost items?

What do you mean by revenge rating?

TS Ron    10
TS Ron

Wayjen my sincerest apologies I was listening to directions from a friend while typing not concentrating! I mean't the buyer had a revenge against you? For ever reason they had!

wayjen    10
wayjen

nevermind the ratings they reported us to BoB but BoB knew what the story was. Buyers like this one should not be allowed near a computer.