Sign in to follow this  
meeks

Copying of listings

meeks    10
meeks
Meeks, this is a separate issue, please could you contact the support team to look into this.

Thanks

Cuan

Cuan, I phoned BOB last week Monday morning about this issue, and it boils down to the thread in discussion yesterday. Should I list what i wanted to list this morning ( repeats of some kits of mine which I had listed before (and was copied) - when prospective buyers open up my listing,then the copied version by another seller will be advertised below my listing?)

So in fact, prospective buyers will see my items in the listing, open up the copied version, and see exactly what they saw in my listing.

Is this allowed? the blatant copying I mean?

Someone suggested in a post yesterday that we should "try something different and new" yes,as I said in my reply, it can be done, and that is what I constantly have to do, but no sooner do I list my new ideas, then they are copied. Crafts are all about creativity, if a person does not have an ounce of creativity in them, they should not sell craft items, and many buyers have said they are shocked at the amount of copying in the craft (bead kits) listings, and they want variety, not a carbon copy of the next seller's kits.

Eccentric Beads    10
Eccentric Beads
And lo and behold. I come to list some kits, among them a repeat listing of mine which was copied last week by another seller, and there it is this morning, another copy of my items,my layout, even grouped the same as mine - Listed this morning by the carbon copy.

This just makes the decision NOT to list easier.

Sorry to hear , it really is so frustrating - and out of the hundreds of varities of beads available these copies are positively baltant!

qball    10
qball

If it's your original copy and you have watermarked it, no one else has the right to use it. Please report it to Bertus or Bennet and we will try assist.

Thanks

Cuan

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Cuan has often confirmed that copycat listings are against BoB policy. They need to be reported to CW a.s.a.p. when they arise.

Good luck, meeks. It isn't fair that other sellers are doing this to you.

Eccentric Beads    10
Eccentric Beads
If it's your original copy and you have watermarked it, no one else has the right to use it. Please report it to Bertus or Bennet and we will try assist.

Thanks

Cuan

hi Cuan, excuse the novice question but how does one "watermark" something?

qball    10
qball
hi Cuan, excuse the novice question but how does one "watermark" something?

There are free software tools available online which allow you to "write" over the image/s with your copyright wording/username.

Unfortunately this becomes more difficult with the actual descriptions, but you can add text to your listing stating that this is copyright.

meeks    10
meeks
Cuan has often confirmed that copycat listings are against BoB policy. They need to be reported to CW a.s.a.p. when they arise.

Good luck, meeks. It isn't fair that other sellers are doing this to you.

Thanks Lily, but in this case, the seller who is copying, takes her own pics, what she copies is my ideas, my items, my layout EXACTLY, and in many instances, my descriptions as well, she started using the theme i use as thumbnail images as well, i changed to something else, she copied that idea as well,when i changed again, the very next listing of hers she had taken my idea again.

Now, these thumbnail images are internet images, so I suppose she freedom to use the same idea (theme) but why on earth, as I mentioned yesterday, would anyone, who is not out to be diliberately spiteful, do such an obvious thing?

As i have said before, I try and accommodate what buyers ask, variety, not the same as in other seller's kits, and although there are certain beads sold by all bead sellers, the quest is to make one's kits different, to lure buyers, as that is what they say makes them want to buy - Variety - something different. However, with the constant copying of items and ideas AND layout, when buyers look at for example a kit of mine, and looks at the other seller's kit (having copied my ideas etc) the buyers thought i had double listed, as the copied items in the other seller's kit was laid out (arranged) exactly as I did mine.

If this is allowed, well, then so be it, but it just becomes fruitless to sit bent over a desk,making up what is thought to be MY idea, my work, and then other sellers can just come and say "okay, I will go see if I can source the same stuff)

If they have to sell the same, then at least they can display the items using their own creativity, and not follow the next seller's style and ideas.

It makes one feel "what's the use"

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Meeks, the whole point is to never give up and, I guess, imitation is truly the sincerest form of flattery - but if it trangresses your wording (i.e. can be regarded as plagiarism) then report it to CW.

MsPlod    10
MsPlod
Thanks Lily, but in this case, the seller who is copying, takes her own pics, what she copies is my ideas, my items, my layout EXACTLY, and in many instances, my descriptions as well, she started using the theme i use as thumbnail images as well, i changed to something else, she copied that idea as well,when i changed again, the very next listing of hers she had taken my idea again.

This is AWFUL! Maybe what you should do is state in bold letters :

Meeks is not associated with copycat X and has no idea why listings are being copied. Intellectual property theft is a crime and further transgressions will be noted and legal options pursued.

See whether that helps?

Since this copycat clearly goes through your listings with a fine toothcomb that should not pass by her/him? Of course, since this individual clearly has the imagination of a brick wall and the hide of a hippo - it may pass them by until someone else points it out to them?

meeks    10
meeks

Oh my gosh!!! I just saw the Bidorbuy video clip, and the heading is just SO fitting to what I have said numerous times lately. namely; "It's a jungle out there" - I was referring to the crafts category when I said that.

meeks    10
meeks
This is AWFUL! Maybe what you should do is state in bold letters :

Meeks is not associated with copycat X and has no idea why listings are being copied. Intellectual property theft is a crime and further transgressions will be noted and legal options pursued.

See whether that helps?

Since this copycat clearly goes through your listings with a fine toothcomb that should not pass by her/him? Of course, since this individual clearly has the imagination of a brick wall and the hide of a hippo - it may pass them by until someone else points it out to them?[/quote

Thank you for this advice MsPlod. I just wonder whether it will be allowed by BOB.But honestly, if I could have pointed those who have been supporting me to the copies I mentioned, I would have, but as it is a public forum, I can not mention it here, as it would require the username of the seller doing the copying.

The result of all this is, now I do not want to list anything, as it will just carry on, as it seems, because the other seller is not using my personal images in my listings, but using "only" my ideas, lay out (style) and uses the exact grouping of her beads (same beads as mine, same colours) - she is within her right to do so?

I spent the whole past weekend compiling listings, taking the photos, and loading them onto my computer, ready to list today, until I saw THAT kit this morning, then thought, it is no use listing, because it will also be copied in some way or another.

lilythepink    10
lilythepink

Meeks, perhaps you need to get someone to assist you in putting a watermark of "copyright" on your listings, as suggested by Cuan.

Don't give up listing - your kits are always such value for money!

meeks    10
meeks
Meeks, perhaps you need to get someone to assist you in putting a watermark of "copyright" on your listings, as suggested by Cuan.

Don't give up listing - your kits are always such value for money!

Hi Lily,

I can do the watermarking/copyright thing, but I don't think it will have any effect, because as long as my own pictures are not used by the other seller, it seems it is okay for them to carry on doing what they doing. They just will carry on, take their own pictures, and proceed as before.

Where the craft category (bead kits) are concerned), as a seller of beads etc, it is so sad to see how the category support has dwindled to a meagre little handful of clients supporting it, and those clients are fed up, so many of them have not been supporting the category for a long time now, because of the issue, and therefore, I have been striving to at least try and lure clients back to the crafts (bulk kits) because as you say, it is value for money, most of my kits that i put on buy nows, are priced 40-45% below the market value, some even lower, and all just to get clients to see that there are bargains. However, I am now tired of trying (I sometimes sit till 2 in the morning with this).

Thanks for the encouragement though, - appreciated

Edited by meeks
spelling. my mind is blank from thinking

Eccentric Beads    10
Eccentric Beads
Hi Lily,

I can do the watermarking/copyright thing, but I don't think it will have any effect, because as long as my own pictures are not used by the other seller, it seems it is okay for them to carry on doing what they doing. They just will carry on, take their own pictures, and proceed as before.

Where the craft category (bead kits) are concerned), as a seller of beads etc, it is so sad to see how the category support has dwindled to a meagre little handful of clients supporting it, and those clients are fed up, so many of them have not been supporting the category for a long time now, because of the issue, and therefore, I have been striving to at least try and lure clients back to the crafts (bulk kits) because as you say, it is value for money, most of my kits that i put on buy nows, are priced 40-45% below the market value, some even lower, and all just to get clients to see that there are bargains. However, I am now tired of trying (I sometimes sit till 2 in the morning with this).

Thanks for the encouragement though, - appreciated

Absolutely!! A couple of our sellers have come up with lovely ideas and for example the listing of semi=precious stings, which were doing very well a few months ago -- then the next thing you know there are mutiple sellers flogging it to death!! And now severe losses are bieng made! To me that is not fair! Fine to browse for ideas--but please put you own spin on it etc-- highly possible . I was very upset for the poor sellers concerned as the same was done to me with simple glass rounds etc, listed on crazy Wednesday - listed for a month I think and then next thing I know I find 3 pages worth of glass strings listed by others? So obviously I gave up!! I only sell Buy Now's, and auction a few jewelry pieces on long term auctions--but this bunt child stays now well away from the fire!!