Sign in to follow this  
Neux

Similar items you may be interested in:

admin
Light the torches and pass them around!!!!!!!

Oi, no flaming here, go eat some cake :whistling::ninja:

Eccentric Beads

U buying lol??

lilythepink
Oi, no flaming here, go eat some cake :whistling::ninja:

I think we need the Youth League's leader to guide us in our demonstration and demands - and before we all set off, perhaps they will have coerced someone into providing the cake so we can eat while we march.

Guest MacMuffin
Mac, I don't think any reasonable seller would have declined the "testing" of the situation for a specified time, within proper parameters - that, I would say, is democracy.

Just suddenly instituting such a change on paid listings hasn't been fairly reasoned out with sellers who, also, are part of BoB's bread and butter. I know I am a small fish in the sea but why should I pay for a listing when my item will take buyers elsewhere? Remains to be seen how successful this is, but why weren't sellers consulted? I think most of us are pretty reasonable. Just my 2c worth ...

Appreciate your thoughts, but businesses don't operate in a democracy model. Decisions are made by stake- and shareholders to optimize turnover (which are dependent on the success of sales by promoting seller's items).

Also remember that the enhancements/paid listings you pay for are promoted on category, homepages as well as in a secondary manner those enhancements fund our advertising-, marketing- and operational budgets. By the time a prospective buyer has reached your item page, the enhancements have already done their "magic". The buyer will then have to decide if the enhanced product is really what he/she wanted or look for something else. We feel that we made "the looking for something else" easier though...

So the thought of that bidorbuy "pockets" all that money is unfortunately not the case (I would otherwise not be sitting in front of a laptop and enjoy a cocktail on one of my many yachts anchored at one of the numerous Caribbean islands I could own - sigh, now there is a long-term goal).

Eccentric Beads

I totally agree with Voldemort, and I am personally going to a lot of trouble to get exposure for my items, facebook etc--now every listing I share is going to end up in someone elses sale???? I honestly do not see that as fair -- I am not crash coursing myself on networking and paying adds and priority for someone elses items!

Edited by Eccentric Beads

Guest MacMuffin
Speaking of search engines. If you search an item and your spelling is wrong you get nothing. Why not change that to show words that are similar to what you put in?

We are working on this and are busy refining the suggestions - this should come in over the next week or so.

This is like SANRAIL putting up toll booths without public participation.

Not quite - see my reference to the Carribean islands I don't own due to my lack of being a tenderpreneur.

lilythepink

Mac, my mouth is too full of cake (just testing it before it gets passed around). I've had my say and am still sticking by what I said above.

catzcan

Maybe we should create a consortium of sorts. i.e people selling the same "type" of product, e.g. "Duke's Druse" With 20 people in the consortium only one pay for a ad per week e.g. crazy Wed. All others get exposure anyway. That way, everybody would have saved on enhanced listing fees/advertising, BoB will loose on Paid Promosions fees, and somebody somewhere will score on a sale. I personally don't see how this feature would benefit anybody advertising on a paid promotion as the item would have been closed in a day or 2 anyway and the only winners after that would be the buyer and BOB.

brands online

Would it be okay to open a poll about this? It would seem that more than 90% of sellers or users below don't really appreciate this change. I'm inclined to believe that sellers themselves know what's beneficial and/or detrimental to their business and the responses mostly seem to favour the latter. All this talk about benefit to sellers, but in truth there's only real benefit to BOB. With reference to an earlier post, BOB the landlord is unfortunately becoming BOB the slumlord. Allowing everyone to squat where they want, just as long as something gets sold and commissions paid.

All the advertising, etc that BOB pays to Google Adwords, media, etc. , is so that BOB can grow, not individual sellers and knowing Cuan, Mac and crew :toung:, I think they too would be up in arms if at the end of each Deal of the Week ad, there was mention of finding a similar item on E-Bay? Can't you just hear the 94.7 ad, " Lenovo Think Pad, this week only at R500, Grab it Now, but perhaps you want the Dell at R550 on E-Bay!"

Most of us have learned long ago, that NO kind of democracy exists on BOB. All decisions are taken, implemented and forced on users, like it or not, but c'mon guys this is pushing the envelope just a bit...

catzcan

Agree Brands. A similar feature is available on Ebay. The difference being, on E-bay it only becomes available AFTER the sale i.e. after the auction was won or after the check-out process. Not during or before like on Bob now!

MsPlod
The recommendations will be based firstly and (most importantly) on relevance, within the specific category, favouring enhanced Buy Nows within that category.

...We apologise if this does not meet with your approval or for any inconvenience caused.

Maybe - following boblogic - the traders should then be allowed to add links to their own websites where folks can also browse at leisure?

I think you should also consider this in the following light:

bidorbuy is PnP.

PnP provides shelves for all different brands and sellers, all of which have to compete in the same space or area on the shelf.

So if you walk down the aisle looking for tomato sauce, you will find brands such as Heinz, All Gold, Pure Joy, PnP No Name, etc. all of which are the same product but have to share the same space...

No Cuan - BoB is a shopping mall - with lots of different shops in it - very few shopping malls will advertise competitive prices between shops in the same mall for goodness sake!

Many of the traders on BoB offer differing brands in their shops (e.g. one trader might include Sony, Akai and Wharfedale brands for sale) - your logic is flawed I am afraid.

Just to add what Cuan said: The changes will benefit both sellers and buyers, although many of you might not see it that way right away. As any eCommerce website, we rely on returning visitors and obviously want to dominate the market, by attracting new users --- let's break this down:

Statistics are fantastic for proving anything - statistically I have one breast and one scrotal sack...

Nobut seriously, getting second visits depends on quality of experience IMO. Keeping high quality sellers happy makes for happy buyers too.

Agree Brands. A similar feature is available on Ebay. The difference being, on E-bay it only becomes available AFTER the sale i.e. after the auction was won or after the check-out process. Not during or before like on Bob now!

Hear hear!

Keep it to closed items which have already been sold:

"Sorry this item has closed. Similar items you may be interested in:"

Since closed items are most usually identified by search bots - it makes sound sense to restrict the "similar items" tabs to items which are closed and paid for.

Overall - it sounds as if BoB is scrabbling to justify a thoroughly underhand move which - if appropriately modified - could be applied in a completely satisfactory manner if thought through and discussed appropriately with the traders who are affected.

Edited by MsPlod
test tickled...

wayjen

Let's make everyone happy and have OUR similar items listed below a listing. If I have a leopard print jockey (no not the person) on sale then why not put my leopard print vest and Safari Suit and comb at the bottom of that listing so the person can buy a whole outfit if need be?

Likewise with stamps and you have tweezers and covers etc and then coins and you have pouches etc, win win for everyone.

Now pass the cake whilst I sit here on my Yacht in dry dock.

voldermort

It wouldn't work Wayne, simply because as said, this move is intended to make money for BoB & not for individual sellers.......therefore what about your wild card seller who comes in selling only 1 item, they have nothing else to display & therefore no advertising space for BoB?

Seems to me that if they keep this as it is a lot of sellers will not pay so much for featured/priority listings etc & instead just hitch a ride on somebody else's ads who have paid.

Edited by voldermort

wayjen

Yes intended to make money for BoB but now if sellers who would normally pay for special listings will now stop and BoB loses money that way. If a newbie comes on selling 1 item then let them pay a few bucks to have pictures added.

Neux

Can't BOB come to some kind of compromise and listen to us sellers?

MsPlod has got a very good suggestion on showing similar items after listings have closed.

Is there any chance that you can rather show those similar items after listing has closed.

This way BOB will achieve most of what they are aiming for and have allot of happy sellers.

qball
Would it be okay to open a poll about this? It would seem that more than 90% of sellers or users below don't really appreciate this change. I'm inclined to believe that sellers themselves know what's beneficial and/or detrimental to their business and the responses mostly seem to favour the latter. All this talk about benefit to sellers, but in truth there's only real benefit to BOB. With reference to an earlier post, BOB the landlord is unfortunately becoming BOB the slumlord. Allowing everyone to squat where they want, just as long as something gets sold and commissions paid.

All the advertising, etc that BOB pays to Google Adwords, media, etc. , is so that BOB can grow, not individual sellers and knowing Cuan, Mac and crew :toung:, I think they too would be up in arms if at the end of each Deal of the Week ad, there was mention of finding a similar item on E-Bay? Can't you just hear the 94.7 ad, " Lenovo Think Pad, this week only at R500, Grab it Now, but perhaps you want the Dell at R550 on E-Bay!"

Most of us have learned long ago, that NO kind of democracy exists on BOB. All decisions are taken, implemented and forced on users, like it or not, but c'mon guys this is pushing the envelope just a bit...

Wow, Brands, this takes the cake... :shock:

MsPlod
Wow, Brands, this takes the cake... :shock:

Nope, I'd say that the thing which "takes the cake" is BoB advertising other trader's items on open auctions...

Edited by MsPlod
inserted the word "BoB"

Guest MacMuffin
Nope, I'd say that the thing which "takes the cake" is advertising other trader's items on open auctions...

And I am still waiting to get to taste that "magical" cake everyone is eating/passing around now.

We will make some minor tweaks to the "Similar items", but are very comfortable with the change - looking at first stats, the implementation has successfully met our business objectives and you as the seller should notice the merits over the next few days.

meeks
Nope, I'd say that the thing which "takes the cake" is advertising other trader's items on open auctions...

And lo and behold. I come to list some kits, among them a repeat listing of mine which was copied last week by another seller, and there it is this morning, another copy of my items,my layout, even grouped the same as mine - Listed this morning by the carbon copy.

This just makes the decision NOT to list easier.

qball

Darn, I wish I could get some cake...

qball
And lo and behold. I come to list some kits, among them a repeat listing of mine which was copied last week by another seller, and there it is this morning, another copy of my items,my layout, even grouped the same as mine - Listed this morning by the carbon copy.

This just makes the decision NOT to list easier.

Meeks, this is a separate issue, please could you contact the support team to look into this.

Thanks

Cuan

Miss Jewels

I'm not sure if it's because of the "new" page layout of viewing "similar" items, but the prices on most items are almost rock bottom....and it's the end of the month! What's happening?

alloway65
..and it's the end of the month! What's happening?

Most people only think they have money at the end of the month!!!!

On average 76% of peoples disposable income goes towards paying off debts!!!!

50% of people who have credit in SA are at least three months behind with their payments.

Re BoB Coin Sales I have noticed that the prices today, at least at mid afternoon, are very low....time to grab a bargain or two!!!

MsPlod
Darn, I wish I could get some cake...

It seems that BoB management are attempting to have their cake and eat it too (in other words win-win for BoB and the majority can go hang) so maybe you should scrounge cake from BoB management Cuan, rather than trying to scrounge "cake" from traders who are battling away to keep their livelihoods safe? It may be an attempt at humour on your part - but methinks it is not in the best of taste - so to speak.

The majority of traders who have responded to this thread on the forum (and to the previous discussion - viewable here) were totally against this concept being implemented in these ways.

booksallsizes

Just a little observation - and it may not be a very good one, but it's on my mind so I'll put it here:

If you have item X and other buyer's items that are the same as X are shown below your listing and their item is cheaper, would you not then undercut their price so the buyer would be more attracted to your item X? Then, in turn, they would undercut you and so on until item X is way under cost to seller...

Then BOB gets much less commission because these items are now really really cheap.

Great for a buyer, by the way - but the buyer would be the only winner....

Or am I getting it wrong (again :cheesy:)?