Sign in to follow this  
Neux

Similar items you may be interested in:

wayjen
Maybe I did not make myself clear? The seller in question takes her own pictures, yes, BUT, after my listings appear, she would no doubt go shopping, then put as much as she could get of the exact same items I have in my listing,in HER listings, grouped,and laid out, exactly as I did mine, and where I would try and describe something in my own words, she would use that as well, even my choice (theme) of thumbnail images was taken and run with as her own, and when I changed my choice of thumbnail images for my listings, she would choose the same type as well, over and over again, each time I changed my "theme"

Now this may be allowed, as some images are internet images, but why, if she is not blatantly spiteful, would she (or any other seller) do that???

I have been selling on BOB for over 4 years, and a new sellers comes and in a short period of time, managed to chase numerous of us away from listing the way we used to, all because there is not an inch of creativity in her???

I give up!!!!!

We were not discussing copyright infringements here at all and that is a topic of discussion for another day. The point we were trying to make is that on our listings there are other similar items being show at the bottom of the page and this is the problem. If I have something up for R100 and Joe Soap has that same item up for R50, guess where the buyer is going.

lilythepink

Even payment of R5.00 per listing on Crazy Wednesday surely gives me the right to my own listing without having to share it with others???

I do think that the powers-that-be at BoB could have consulted with sellers on this before taking such an autocratic (and, I feel, sneaky) step towards sellers.

Interestingly - I'm not sure that the "view similar" button works very well. I have an old enamel coffee pot listed on Crazy Wednesday and if I go to "view similar" up pops an enamelled coulander!

But for people selling identical books, records, etc this "view similar" button must be a nightmare!

Edited by lilythepink

Miss Jewels

Sorry, but I'm not at all in favour of the current layout. Agreed, you do not walk into Pick 'n Pay and find specials from Checkers there. It's competition. BoB really needs to reconsider this move in favour of the sellers who are actually bringing in the commission.

meeks
Even payment of R5.00 per listing on Crazy Wednesday surely gives me the right to my own listing without having to share it with others???

I do think that the powers-that-be at BoB could have consulted with sellers on this before taking such an autocratic (and, I feel, sneaky) step towards sellers.

Yes, indeed, one does not open an add paid for by shop A, and see them also advertising items offered by shop B.

The craft category is one category that is desperately in need of offering buyers more, and more variety, not the same as other sellers. That is what lures the buyers.

Yes, there are some things all bead sellers do sell,but I for one have always tried to make my listings just that little bit different, with items not in other listings (and so have other sellers) but it does not take long for an uncreative person to decide "oh well, I am also going to sell this or that" and the result is what has happened to the category, buyers are bored!!!

staccato
A can of worms indeed. Valid points from both sides, but this favours the buyer not the seller.

Favours the buyer indeed but affects the seller!

MsPlod

BoB is acting as if IT (almighty bob) is "the shop" - when in fact BoB is "the premises" aka "the landlord".

One of the key points in this discussion - raised by several traders in this and other threads - is that no shop will advertise the wares of another shop which sells the same things. You won't even find Pick 'n Pay Retreat advertising that Pick 'n Pay Rondebosch is selling the same stuff for less! Law suits would surely follow swiftly if Pick 'n Pay were forced to advertise Woolworth's specials (both stores in the same shopping mall) by the "mall management"?

As a buyer - I find it

1) insulting - since it presumes I do not shop around

2) irritating - because suddenly there are all these other thumbnails floating around

3) maddening - because why on earth would I wish to look at shops I already have avoided in order to get to the shop I am in?

4) downright unpleasant of the landlord - autocratic, small-minded and it affects a whole load of people I have come to respect!

For goodness sake BoB - this already met with frank disapproval months ago yet you bring out the same poisonous spider in a different colour tutu and expect that folks are going to pet it? C'mon!

PS - I happen to really LOVE spiders and no spiders were harmed in the writing of this soapbox monologue.

qball

The recommendations will be based firstly and (most importantly) on relevance, within the specific category, favouring enhanced Buy Nows within that category.

The upside is that any seller who uses enhancements will also feature here, so if you are using enhancements and Buy Nows you will also derive benefit from this additional exposure. This is common practice across many online sites and is used to attract more buyers and to encourage more sales, all of which are good for both buyer and seller.

You will also encounter this on Closed Listing pages. When users search using Google (organic search), most of the time they will encounter closed listings which doesn't help the buyer who wants to purchase these items, so this will keep buyers on the site as they will now have more options, which in the end, also benefits sellers.

There is also an added SEO benefit. The more indexed pages, the more exposure on Google, this strengthens our site's visibility, exposure, ranking and ease of indexing, all of which ultimately benefit you the seller and of course buyers, who can find products to buy. So a lot of thought has gone into this.

We realise you might not see things in the same light as we do right now, but looking ahead at the "long tail", this should help the site a great deal.

We apologise if this does not meet with your approval or for any inconvenience caused.

qball

I think you should also consider this in the following light:

bidorbuy is PnP.

PnP provides shelves for all different brands and sellers, all of which have to compete in the same space or area on the shelf.

So if you walk down the aisle looking for tomato sauce, you will find brands such as Heinz, All Gold, Pure Joy, PnP No Name, etc. all of which are the same product but have to share the same space...

wayjen

Why can't we have our own items listed down there instead of another seller? I understand if a buyer is looking for something and they click on an item of mine and the same item comes up cheaper by another seller i will not be any the wiser but should I have items already bid on and the buyer comes back to check he/she/it is still winning an auction, they might see the same product cheaper next door and ask me to delete their bid.

meeks

bidorbuy is PnP.

PnP provides shelves for all different brands and sellers, all of which have to compete in the same space or area on the shelf.

So if you walk down the aisle looking for tomato sauce, you will find brands such as Heinz, All Gold, Pure Joy, PnP No Name, etc. all of which are the same product but have to share the same space...

But is the "packaging" identical?. Does it look the same?

Different brands look different on the shelves?, they are not copies of the next supplier's items? with the same "logo"

Sorry Cuan,But I personally have been copied just too many times, to the extent where some of my clients thought i double listed, and no sooner do I list a kit, then the carbon copy is listed.

It breaks one's spirit.

Edited by meeks
spelling

Seeds for Africa

I tend to agree with Neils sentiments. Personally I am not too unhappy about this change. It works both ways with your listings at the bottom of other sellers and vica versa.

Just to add to this. From what I can see they arent showing the same items that you are selling at the bottom of the listing but a random pick from the same category. I stand to correction but this is what I am seeing on my listings.

Edited by Seeds for Africa

Little Miss Muffet

Relax guys. Buyers dont even read the listing properly. Why would they scale down to the bottom of the page??

:blink1:

Eccentric Beads

Stress!!

This is a bit of a pickle I feel, it does make it sound as if we are paying priority etc to blow someone elses whistle?

Although I do see the buyer conveinience in it, I do also have to disagree with it, especially due to the copy cat scenario -with every listing that I think up and which gets copied - now the copycat is also going to get exposure through my listing!!! That does truely turn my stomach!

I have recently brought back quite a few types of listings that I swore to no longer have as they were promptly copied,

I am no longer going to be restricted by copycats but I do wish they would use some of their own intuition.

I have been doing a lot to try and increase awareness of my "business" ,and keep away from looking at other peoples listings as it is just down right depressing when hard work is just brainlessly copied, I have decided to list the ideas I come up with even though I know it will most probably be copied ( but I don't want to see it lol--what you don't know can't hurt !! )

But after all this time, blood sweat and tears to get things going on BOB, to be so totally and utterly undermined by BOB itself is a totally indescribeable feeling!!!!

ATA STAMP CENTRE
Relax guys. Buyers dont even read the listing properly. Why would they scale down to the bottom of the page??

Thats a brilliant observation Pam.:biggrin:

Obviously the revenue from BUY NOWS are down or BOB see this as an untapped revenue source.I hardly ever list a buy now as they do not work for me.What bob has done is very clever.If i want to feature and gain the exposure i am allowing other sellers to have then i must start listing some buy nows and enhance them so as to participate in this marketing drive to generate more income for BOB.

I have no problem and will start listing some buy nows as i am confident that a percentage of the extra income generated will be used to ultimately benefit all BOB USERS,sellers and buyers alike.

Rather than rebelling against any changes look for the opportunity and do something different and utilise these tools to increase your own turnover and ultimately your income to the benefit BOB and yourself.

Neil

TS Ron

You are an genuis that is what my one son this evening when I explained the situation to him!

Eccentric Beads

And to add to that--what possesed me I do not know--but have just scrolled down on my angel making kit to find a frigging copycat!!

Now my evening is spoilt!!! HONESTLY!!!!

lilythepink

bidorbuy is PnP.

Yes, but PnP does not advertise or sell Checkers' no-name goods and vice versa! The truth is that manufacturers/wholesalers choose (democratically) to have their items placed on the shelves next to another's similar product.

We on BoB, as sellers, have not been given that democratic right - it was forced on us - and I think this is totally unfair. BoB already has an option where buyers can go to the window at the top of the home page and search for what they are looking for. This does not intrude on a particular listing in any way. But with the "selection of similar products" button, this is intrusive and (to my mind) lessens the effect of the seller's listing - particularly a paid one.

P.S. Some manufacturers/wholesalers choose to pay for premium shop space (i.e. their goods are placed on a special display, away from similar products). That is the way I see it with paid listings on BoB. I actually have no qualm with the R1 (unpaid) auctions being shared amongst all and sundry. Again, Checkers do not have their shop brands on the shelves at PnP and PnP do not have their no-name brands on the shelves at Checkers.

Edited by lilythepink

Guest MacMuffin

Just to add what Cuan said: The changes will benefit both sellers and buyers, although many of you might not see it that way right away. As any eCommerce website, we rely on returning visitors and obviously want to dominate the market, by attracting new users --- let's break this down:

• Right now only 20% of our traffic originates from direct visitors (i.e. people who visit us regularly, have us bookmarked or made bidorbuy their homepage)
  • 15% of our traffic originates from referrals - the majority through our advertising spent (obscene amounts of money) to Google Adwords. A very small portion (less than 1%) are from referrals via our affiliate programs or sellers placing links on their websites, forum posts (not just bidorbuy forum) or email signatures.
  • The remaining 65% of our traffic is search engine traffic (someone hearing our radio ads and searching for something specific) or through our Search Engine Optimisation (SEO) which favorably places your items in the top results.
  • Close to 40% of our visitors are new visitors who have never visited us before. The remainder are returning visitors (people who visited our site and might or might not have purchased anything).
  • We currently feature 850,000 products and Google has over 23 million pages (item pages, seller pages, searches, category pages) in their index.

From a business perspective we need to:

• Increase the "stickiness" of returning visitors. We hope to achieve this with improved search and better relevance - after all, a visitor arrived at our site looking for something specific and we want to make sure that a new visitor can make an immediate purchase decision.
  • We want to avoid scenarios where users "bounce" (i.e. leave our site) because of an item being closed or not being able to find a similar item. Hence we need to provide a new user with content which can lead to a purchase (and obviously a new registration).
  • Since GoogleBot does not immediately index pages, we have found that over 90% of our search traffic hitting item pages arrive at a time when the item is sold and users "bounce". The similar items will solve this.
  • We have done user studies and found that our buyer base will spend between 30-200 seconds on an item page, and their purchase decision is based on:
    • Immediate gratification (i.e. a large number of users "bounce" off auction pages as it is a concept they are not comfortable with). Users are quite happy to purchase items if they know that the item price will not change (as in the case of BuyNows) and subsequently will feel "safer" about auctions and try those.
    • Users reaching a closed item page will immediately bounce.

[*]Increase our search engine index numbers. The similar products allows us to do this - in SEO terms it is called "deep-linking" which in essence means, that a GoogleBot will hit your item page, will then analyze the content and by looking at the related items will identify that the specific page has a higher ranking as it links to items of similar nature. This will allow us to substantially increase our index size.

We consider the Similar items implementation a long-term benefit. Over the last 12 hours we received almost 4% more click-through traffic from item pages which should hopefully be visible in turnover and new user registrations going forward.

So while the new change might fell like an intrusion into seller pages, we honestly believe that it will benefit buyers and sellers and will increase your sales performance. I suggest we give this implementation some time and evaluate the performance on a non-emotinal level. Unfortunately the online world operates differently to a brick-and-mortar store and we do believe that our change will result in a significant boost of traffic, revenue and growth.

meeks
Thats a brilliant observation Pam.:biggrin:

Obviously the revenue from BUY NOWS are down or BOB see this as an untapped revenue source.I hardly ever list a buy now as they do not work for me.What bob has done is very clever.If i want to feature and gain the exposure i am allowing other sellers to have then i must start listing some buy nows and enhance them so as to participate in this marketing drive to generate more income for BOB.

I have no problem and will start listing some buy nows as i am confident that a percentage of the extra income generated will be used to ultimately benefit all BOB USERS,sellers and buyers alike.

Rather than rebelling against any changes look for the opportunity and do something different and utilise these tools to increase your own turnover and ultimately your income to the benefit BOB and yourself.

Neil

Doing "something different" is easy, and is always what I personally try, different items, different descriptions, different lay outs, etc; etc; The problem is, in the craft category, specifically beads, that "something new" becomes the next idea and item/s that is just nonchalantly taken, and made their own by the copy cats, who do not know the difference between glass and crystal beads.Poor buyers!!!!

lilythepink

Mac, I don't think any reasonable seller would have declined the "testing" of the situation for a specified time, within proper parameters - that, I would say, is democracy.

Just suddenly instituting such a change on paid listings hasn't been fairly reasoned out with sellers who, also, are part of BoB's bread and butter. I know I am a small fish in the sea but why should I pay for a listing when my item will take buyers elsewhere? Remains to be seen how successful this is, but why weren't sellers consulted? I think most of us are pretty reasonable. Just my 2c worth ...

wayjen

Speaking of search engines. If you search an item and your spelling is wrong you get nothing. Why not change that to show words that are similar to what you put in?

wayjen

This is like SANRAIL putting up toll booths without public participation.

lilythepink

I wholeheartedly agree with Wayne's sentiments! Are we all now going to demonstrate and march to BoB to present our memorandum and demands?? (Sorry, when one feels frustrated it does help to laugh!)

wayjen

Light the torches and pass them around!!!!!!!

voldermort

Seems this is a done deal so there is very little point in discussing this further......however what I really fail to see though is if this change were necessary why then was it not done on only the ordinary ads, (the unpaid for items) again as I said right at the beginning of this thread, whether I spend R5 or R100 on a paid listing I am using that money to promote my ads and definitely not to be Father Christmas selling everybody else's items for them.

I am sure the majority of seller's who do use paid features selling quality items would feel the same way.